Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

7 year old not allowed to use the bathroom, he did not have enough money.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 103 Replies

Quote:

Texas mother takes aim at bathroom ‘pay’ system that caused her son to pee his pants

A teacher at an elementary school rewards good behavior with “Boyd Bucks,” fake money once required for bathroom trips. Sonja Cross is outraged after her 7-year-old’s inability to afford a restroom trip caused him to urinate on himself and suffer ridicule.

Comments (36)
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2012, 5:13 PM
Print
Teacher's Reward Program Charges Second-Graders for Bathroom Breaks

NBCDFW.COM

A Texas mother is furious that her son wet his pants because he was not allowed to go to the bathroom. 

A Texas mother says she’s outraged after learning that her 7-year-old son’s teacher makes students “pay” to use the bathroom.

"I was absolutely appalled," Sonja Cross told NBC 5. "I could not believe it."

The J.O. Davis Elementary teacher requires students to pay for trips to the toilet with “Boyd Bucks,” fake money the first-year instructor uses to reward the children for good behavior.

Cross said she found out about the unusual system after her son wet his pants during school because he didn’t have enough “Boyd Bucks” for a bathroom run.

“He tried to hold it as much as he could, but he just couldn’t," she explained. “Really, that's just unhealthy.”

Bucks_2_1202

NBCDFW.COM

Cross said her 7-year-old was not allowed to go to the bathroom because he didn't have enough "Boyd Bucks" to pay for the trip. 

Her young son came home crying because his fellow classmates started teasing him, prompting Cross to demand the teacher end the reward system.

“Originally, when I first spoke with the teacher, she was just going to show my son special treatment, but then I said, ‘That's just not good enough. I need for you to stop this for all the children,’” she said.

Cross spoke to administrators at the Dallas-area school who told the unidentified teacher to do away with the system – for bathroom trips, at least.

Bucks_3_1202

NBCDFW.COM

School administrators said the teacher will not face any disciplinary action. 

"It's not a bad idea to have a reward program in the class, and they're going to continue that but not for the bathroom breaks," Irving school district spokesman Billy Rudolph told NBC 5.

Administrators say the teacher will not face any disciplinary action, though Cross says she’s thinking about asking that the instructor be suspended.

croberts@nydailynews.com

WATCH: TEACHER'S REWARD PROGRAM CHARGES SECOND-GRADERS FOR BATHROOM BREAKS

View more videos at: http://nbcdfw.com.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mother-irate-bathroom-pay-system-made-son-pee-pants-article-1.1211964#ixzz2IXPLvvZR

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmc638
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
15 moms liked this
Wow that's absolutely ridiculous when did using the restroom become a reward?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OkieOBRN
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Something similar happened with my son.. he wasn't allowed to go because it wasnt a designated bathroom time. He was in first grade!! He wet his pants a.d was SO upset. Needless to say i threw a holy fit. Withholding the bathroom because he didnt go at lunch is just cruel.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Texas seems to have the worst treatment of children, why do parents put up with child abouse by teachers?

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that elementary schools that withhold bathroom trips as 'punishment' are severely sick. Who does that? Hell, even in the 'real world' you can use the bathroom when need be...why humiliate a child, is it a sick pleasure to deny someone the right to relieve themselves?

That teacher needs a lesson in empathy. Stat.

decembercherish
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I remember that happening to me in third grade. I was busy doing something and was not allowed to go at required time , same teacher refused me 15 times to go. I ended up going on myself. I asked to go to nurse she told me no. I went anyway and told them what happened. This same teacher did not know what add was ( back then it had no diagnosis) she tried to have me institutionized by saying i was crazy. What for being myself and being distracted. She finally got removed years later. Kids should be allowed to go to the restroom and not as a reward just wow.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
4 moms liked this

The teacher needs to be fired ASAP.  That is sick and cruel, what she did.

Angie_O
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I had to deal with this issue at my son's school too. I told them there was no way they were going to deny him access to the restroom. 

With one of his teachers, she just told him as long as he raised his hand before he went he could go whenever. He had a medical issue where when he had to go, he had to go. We shouldn't have to fight for our kids to use the restroom, however I do understand to a point, some kids play in the bathroom and waste time vs actually needing to be in there =/

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM

That's just stupid, and I hope that teacher realizes where she went horribly wrong.

My youngest suffered from stress incontinence for a bit in her early teen years.  Jumping, running, etc it just happened, a tiny bit of urination.  The urologist said to try to make it to the rest room.

In 8th grade or so, I got a really nasty call from a teacher demanding to know what the medical issue was and why my kid had to go to the restroom all the time.  She thought my daughter was making it up and demanded she tell her the issue in front of the class.

I set her straight very quickly and she sounded very embarrassed.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

No teacher should ever use any type of reward system to use the bathroom.  It is a normal and natural bodily function that should not be deemed worthy or unworthy by any one.

I would have been just as livid as this mother.  Good for her, for demanding the entire reward system be done away with.

I've always told my girls, if they truly need to use the bathroom, regardless of if the teacher deems it is time, they are to get up and leave that classroom and use the bathroom.  Should they find themselves in trouble, they are to call me immediately.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM
That is just plain stupid! A bathroom break is not a "reward."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN