Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lance Armstrong's Oprah Interview May Have Included a Big Fat Lie??

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

Lance Armstrong's Oprah Interview May Have Included a Big Fat Lie

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 19, 2013

lance armstrong on oprahWow, just wow. As if it Lance Armstrong's confessions about doping weren't bad enough, now, investigators told ABC News today that the cyclist may have blatantly lied to Oprah during their super-hyped Thursday night interview. What the ...?!

As you probably heard or saw, he admitted to O for the first time that he was taking performance-enhancing drugs and oxygen-boosting blood transfusions throughout his decade-long career and to help him score seven wins in the Tour de France. To Oprah, Armstrong wanted to confess to everything he had done wrong, including his denial of reports that he had doped. But investigators say that during this big chance to come 100 percent clean, Armstrong was actually untruthful about when he stopped doping.

Armstrong said the last time he used was 2005, and he even noted how upset he was by the accusation that he was doping beyond that. To quote:

That's the only thing in this whole report that upset me. The accusation and alleged proof that they said I doped [in 2009] is not true. The last time I crossed the line, that line was 2005.

Oprah clarified, "You did not do a blood transfusion in 2009?" To which Armstrong responded, "No, 2009 and 2010 absolutely not." Okay, then. But investigators said today that the cyclist's blood values in the 2009 race showed clear blood manipulation consistent with two transfusions -- of mature red blood cells.

It's kinda befuddling, right? If you're going to go to the extent of going on TV and sitting down with Oprah to admit you totally screwed up, why only come 80 percent clean? Why undermine all of your confessions and apologies by not telling the whole truth?

Well, investigators say that Armstrong's lying about the 2009 race may be an effort to protect himself criminally. If federal authorities are goign to prosecute criminal cases, they look back at the "last overt act" in which the crime was committed. And if Armstrong last doped in '05, not '09, the statute of limitations may have expired on potential criminal activity. Oh. Boy.

For now, there's no whisper of any sort of criminal investigation being reopened (although he still faces at least three civil suits). But who knows ... Seems to me that if he really was blatantly lying to Oprah, even if there are expired statutues of limitation, investigators will find a way to nail him on this. If he really did sit there on national TV and lie AGAIN, then just ... wow ... it's straight-up cringe-worthy to think that he could get away with it.

Can you believe this?! Do you think he lied?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

A better question is, Do I care? No. I don't. Sports. All sports is way overrated.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM

People lie. People lie for dumb reasons. Lies beget more lies, typically.

I'm not shocked at all. When this news first came to light my first concern was for all of the contestants Lance A. cheated out of a win. Fuck Lance Armstrong.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's see, did self-admitted liar Lance Armstrong lie?

::off to ponder::

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

He is both a sell-out, confessing to doping ONLY to be able to compete in the future, and a liar. I don't believe anything that he says, but it doesn't matter because I think cycling is as fun to watch as golf and curling (read: NOT AT ALL). He's an arrogant moron who left the woman that stuck by him through his terrible cancer for a celebrity wife (girlfriend?) that didn't stick around to live with his idiocy. I don't know what good Livestrong has done; I hope it is at least enough to make up for it's founder's douchebaggery.

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

No surprise.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunatly his past conduct makes his present conduct extremely suspicious.

Bek22
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Don't really care.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish he hadnt confessed....I was ready to back and support him when he was accused because it was just that an accusation.  Now it is fact. All those kids and young adults who saw inspiration in him has now gone...sad face.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stringtheory:

He is both a sell-out, confessing to doping ONLY to be able to compete in the future, and a liar. I don't believe anything that he says, but it doesn't matter because I think cycling is as fun to watch as golf and curling (read: NOT AT ALL). He's an arrogant moron who left the woman that stuck by him through his terrible cancer for a celebrity wife (girlfriend?) that didn't stick around to live with his idiocy. I don't know what good Livestrong has done; I hope it is at least enough to make up for it's founder's douchebaggery.

He is an arrogant wanker...never noticed it before but listening to him in the Oprah interview made me want to slap him!  I still feel for all those kids who looked up to him and his success as inspiration for thme or even those with cancer who choose him as their mentor...I hope this doesnt destroy their mentally when it comes to their chosen sport or whether they give up :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN