Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you need MORE fiber in your diet? Disturbing!

Nutrition-wise blog:

Is cellulose the latest food additive?

Wood pulp (cellulose) makes ice cream creamier, at least according to a recent newspaper article that's created quite a buzz. I thought I'd provide a bit of background on that surprising claim and give you something to chew on.

The wood pulp the article refers to is cellulose. Cellulose is the basic building block of the cell walls of all plants and is considered a complex carbohydrate. Various forms of cellulose are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) food substances according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Small cellulose particles impart a smooth consistency, mouthfeel and stickiness to products such as salad dressings, barbecue sauces and, yes, ice cream. Longer fiber lengths provide structure and a firmer texture to baked goods. Cellulose also helps capture and retain moisture and keeps products from seeming dry.

We're seeing more foods with added fiber, such as cellulose, because most people aren't eating enough foods that are naturally high in fiber — namely vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Manufacturers are also adding cellulose because it means they can use less fat and sugar without losing the desired mouthfeel or moistness. The rising cost of flour, sugar and oil may be another reason for this trend.

How do you feel about the idea of eating cellulose? It may be GRAS, but wouldn't you rather eat fresh fruits and vegetables to get the fiber and the other essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals they provide?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who's putting wood in your food?

These 10 big restaurant chains and food companies are just some of those that add cellulose to their products. And it may actually be good for you. Let's hope so.

By TheStreet

Are you getting what you pay for on your plate? A recent lawsuit against Taco Bell raised questions about the quality of food that Americans eat.

Chief among the general concerns is the use of cellulose (read: wood pulp), an additive used in everything from crackers and ice creams to puddings and baked goods. Cellulose is virgin wood pulp that's processed into cellulose gum, powdered cellulose and other materials. It's also used in plastics, detergents, pet litter and asphalt.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers cellulose safe for human consumption and sets no limit on the amount that can be used in food products. The Department of Agriculture, which regulates meats, has set a content limit of 3.5% on the use of cellulose.

Cellulose adds fiber to food, helping people who don't get the recommended daily intake of fiber in their diets. It also extends the shelf life of processed foods. Plus, cellulose's water-absorbing properties can mimic fat, allowing consumers to reduce their fat intake. Perhaps most important to food processors is that cellulose is a relatively cheap ingredient.

TheStreet has rounded up a list of popular foods that use cellulose. It's not an exhaustive list, so consumers should read food labels carefully.

http://money.msn.com/shopping-deals/who-is-putting-wood-in-your-food-thestreet.aspx?cp-documentid=6792745

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh sweet baby jesus...not my coffee creamer!!! Nooooooo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I'm the type if it tastes good, looks good and doesn't make me sick, then I am a happy camper. Veggies versus ice cream? Is there really any way to not choose the ice cream? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this

We get real fiber from real foods. Cellulose is only a concern when you eat processed foods and foods with a bunch of added shit.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Whole foods, baby. 

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Oh sweet baby jesus...not my coffee creamer!!! Nooooooo

That was my first thought, too.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I thought my coffee was a bit chewy this morning!

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

*shrugs*

No biggie. At least wood is real and not man-made.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Even if you grew, Raised or Hunted your own food your getting Chemicals (even organic farms to a lesser extent) Think about what is in the water, whats in the grass and other things animals eat.. we have put so much into the land that nothing is really 110% chemical free. Even if Farmers don't use chemicals there are chemicals in the land from past generations, OK going back to my corner till the coffee kicks in.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

The absolute worse thing I consume is Coffemate- I know it's not nothing but chemicals- I am trying to wean to Half-n-Half- I call it my "guilty" pleasure-

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

*sigh* Cellulose is the structural component of the primary cell wall of green plants, many forms of algae and the oomycetes. Some species of bacteriasecrete it to form biofilms. Cellulose is the most common organic compound on Earth. About 33% of all plant matter is cellulose (the cellulose content of cotton fiber is 90%, that of wood is 40–50% and that of dried hemp is approximately 75%).[4][5][6]

Cellulose:

The major component in the rigid cell walls in plants is cellulose. Cellulose is a linear polysaccharide polymer with many glucose monosaccharide units. The acetal linkage is beta which makes it different from starch. This peculiar difference in acetal linkages results in a major difference in digestibility in humans. Humans are unable to digest cellulose because the appropriate enzymes to breakdown the beta acetal linkages are lacking. (More on enzyme digestion in a later chapter.) Undigestible cellulose is the fiber which aids in the smooth working of the intestinal tract.

This article seems to be something of an alarmist for no reason whatsoever other than shit-stirring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)