Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you need MORE fiber in your diet? Disturbing!

Nutrition-wise blog:

Is cellulose the latest food additive?

Wood pulp (cellulose) makes ice cream creamier, at least according to a recent newspaper article that's created quite a buzz. I thought I'd provide a bit of background on that surprising claim and give you something to chew on.

The wood pulp the article refers to is cellulose. Cellulose is the basic building block of the cell walls of all plants and is considered a complex carbohydrate. Various forms of cellulose are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) food substances according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Small cellulose particles impart a smooth consistency, mouthfeel and stickiness to products such as salad dressings, barbecue sauces and, yes, ice cream. Longer fiber lengths provide structure and a firmer texture to baked goods. Cellulose also helps capture and retain moisture and keeps products from seeming dry.

We're seeing more foods with added fiber, such as cellulose, because most people aren't eating enough foods that are naturally high in fiber — namely vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Manufacturers are also adding cellulose because it means they can use less fat and sugar without losing the desired mouthfeel or moistness. The rising cost of flour, sugar and oil may be another reason for this trend.

How do you feel about the idea of eating cellulose? It may be GRAS, but wouldn't you rather eat fresh fruits and vegetables to get the fiber and the other essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals they provide?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who's putting wood in your food?

These 10 big restaurant chains and food companies are just some of those that add cellulose to their products. And it may actually be good for you. Let's hope so.

By TheStreet

Are you getting what you pay for on your plate? A recent lawsuit against Taco Bell raised questions about the quality of food that Americans eat.

Chief among the general concerns is the use of cellulose (read: wood pulp), an additive used in everything from crackers and ice creams to puddings and baked goods. Cellulose is virgin wood pulp that's processed into cellulose gum, powdered cellulose and other materials. It's also used in plastics, detergents, pet litter and asphalt.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers cellulose safe for human consumption and sets no limit on the amount that can be used in food products. The Department of Agriculture, which regulates meats, has set a content limit of 3.5% on the use of cellulose.

Cellulose adds fiber to food, helping people who don't get the recommended daily intake of fiber in their diets. It also extends the shelf life of processed foods. Plus, cellulose's water-absorbing properties can mimic fat, allowing consumers to reduce their fat intake. Perhaps most important to food processors is that cellulose is a relatively cheap ingredient.

TheStreet has rounded up a list of popular foods that use cellulose. It's not an exhaustive list, so consumers should read food labels carefully.

http://money.msn.com/shopping-deals/who-is-putting-wood-in-your-food-thestreet.aspx?cp-documentid=6792745

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
babygirl4326
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM

BUMP!

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jlo1313:

I have been on a whole foods diet for a few years, I googled all of the ingredients in a box of Hamburger Helper once and never looked back.  Cellulose has been in processed foods for as long as I can remember.  It was one of the less disturbing items in the ingredients list.

I don't think it's a big concern but the thought of eating wood pulp doesn't sit well in my stomach. lol This is why I don't buy pre shredded cheese.

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

what - you ate the cup?  LOL

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Got my fiber today. ;)

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting jlo1313:

I have been on a whole foods diet for a few years, I googled all of the ingredients in a box of Hamburger Helper once and never looked back.  Cellulose has been in processed foods for as long as I can remember.  It was one of the less disturbing items in the ingredients list.

I don't think it's a big concern but the thought of eating wood pulp doesn't sit well in my stomach. lol This is why I don't buy pre shredded cheese.

No its not a big concern unless you have existing digestive issues, like animals, humans can't really process the wood pulp and it is just a filler.  Will it make you poop?  Yes.  Does it provide any nutritional value?  No. 

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
4 moms liked this

I think there's a lot of constipation on CafeMom. 

lancet98
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

A little wierd.

Most cellulose comes from wood because most cellulose is used to make paper products.

Cellulose can come from any green plant and only a very limited amount is allowed to be added to food, though in any plant produt you can find cellulose, so it's in most green growing things.  In any green growing thing you eat, you're eating cellulose.   It makes the plant have a structure, it's in plant cell walls.

I see this as totally a non issue.

It IS better if you eat fruits and vegetables than processed food to which a tiny amount of cellulose has been added, in an effort to make it contain more fiber, since most people don't eat ENOUGH fruits and vegetables.  Fruits and vegetables are good for you.   Eat more of them.   They have vitamins and minerals and are good to eat.

In the past 'people ate more vegetables', but mostly because they ate a lot of potatoes.   By eating more vegetables, it actually means that we should be eating the really healthy vegetables - dark leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, greens, dark green lettuces.   ALL of them having lots of cellulose in them, LOL.

And yes, humans have some ability to digest cellulose - other critters have more ability to digest it.

timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Look for flavoured half and half. That's what I use sometimes when I am in the mood for a splash of French vanilla or hazelnut. The brand I get is free of cellulose. Just cream sugar and flavoring.

Quoting Sisteract:

The absolute worse thing I consume is Coffemate- I know it's not nothing but chemicals- I am trying to wean to Half-n-Half- I call it my "guilty" pleasure-

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I don't think anything is actually "healthy" to eat. We only think we are..who really knows all that is going into these products. Wod pulp, pink slime, HFCs, etc.
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

I don't think anything is actually "healthy" to eat. We only think we are..who really knows all that is going into these products. Wod pulp, pink slime, HFCs, etc.

I wouldn't expect my box of fiber ceral from Trader Joe's to have man made wood pulp cellulos in it

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM

There has been cellulose in a great many products for more than 10 years that I know about. Mmm... microcrystalline cellulose...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)