Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O Man shopping with rifle , Glock at Utah JC Penny "Pretty much an idiot"

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 11 Replies

Man shopping with rifle , Glock at Utah JC Penny "pretty much an idiot"

Thursday, January 17, 2013, 3:56 pm

by GottaLaff

jc penney man with rifle, glock Via Cindy Yorgason

Via Cindy Yorgason

If you have to bring big, dangerous guns to a store to prove that "they are not dangerous in the hands of law abiding citizens," then that pretty much proves that they are dangerous... in anyone's hands.

Stay-Away-Warning

If you have to scare the pants off of shoppers with your intimidating AR-15, your Glock, and your abundance of ammo to prove they're not scary, then they're scary.

holy crap

Just ask Cindy Yorgason, who was shopping at a Utah JC Penney store when she glanced up and saw Mr. 22-Year-Old Gun Guy standing in front of her schlepping a big ol' rifle. Then she noticed his ammunition clips and another firearm in his holster. So what's an unnerved woman to do? She grabbed a couple of photos and posted them on Facebook.

They went viral.

The Salt Lake City Tribune (link isn't working, sorry) is reporting that a clerk refused him service and all nearby customers wanted to "get away" from him. Gee, can't imagine why.

Gun Guy had been in the military, had a concealed-carry permit, and had checked with police dispatch prior to his little outing. They confirmed to him that he had the right to parade around with his oh-so-harmless portable arsenal, which he says he carries to protect his kids and everyone else from "criminals, cartels, drug lords" and other "evil men."

As Olive Oyl would say, "What a man!"

At least that's what he seems to think of himself.

my hero olive oyl

Wait... so there are no evil women? And who knew drug lords shopped at JC Penney?

Yorgason said the following about The Self-Appointed Protector: "I thought that he was pretty much an idiot. You do not need to do something like this even if you are against any potential bans."

nuff said

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
3 moms liked this
What a silly, fear mongering article. People need to stop freaking out over stupid stuff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. 

Yesterday, my kids and I went hiking at a National Monunment here. There was a group of people target shooting, the entire time we were there, just off to the side and down a little hill of the main trail in line of sight for quite a while. It was incredibly irritating, to say the very least. 

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. 

myamya202
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • Colette I want to be the first to send my condolences to his girlfriend. She must be over at Brookstone looking for a personal massage device. 
    • Matt Jones Look, ya gotta do *something* to rebuild confidence while you're returning the "Extra Small" condoms for being too big...
  • Jamie 3So how does anyone know that *this* guy isn't going to open fire on a bunch of people in the store??
  • Colette Well,  you don't. You're supposed to trust him. Makes total sense right? 
    • Deacon Blues  That's why *you* should be armed, too! /snark
    • lsamsaOkay...so all the other people going about their business are supposed to recognize that this knob is a 'good guy', therefore not to worry.
      What...after these self-serving morons parade around wearing their guns like some badge of honour...is stopping someone who is contemplating a killing spree from just doing the same thing??
      How are people supposed to 'know' who is the 'good guy' and who is the 'bad guy'?
      This isn't Hollywood or 50's teevee where the ridiculous 'white hat/white horse vs black hat/black horse' is real life.
      This guy & the two in Portland have no interest in anything but themselves, not to mention having given a huge opportunity for someone with a killing agenda to pretend they're doing the exact same thing...before they open fire.
  • (

• Shawn Alley COMMENT DELETED BY MODERATOR and replaced with this message: Shawn, you have been deleted. Despite your trying to come off as superior to the rest of us, you apparently can't read. You broke a few of our guidelines. This is your only warning, next time you'll be banned.

Should you want to have a civil discussion without name calling and snide remarks, feel free to express your opinion. But until you follow the rules of this site, you will be deleted, edited, and/or banned.

(Edited by a moderator)

• Peter Jung 1This guy reminds me of the yahoos in Arizona who showed up with firearms when Obama's health care plan was being discussed in community forums. If you need to carry an assault weapon to a meeting full of unarmed senior citizens, you are pretty much conceding that you're incapable of articulating a sensible argument for your point of view. And you have a small weenie.
  • EmilioTo protect his family from ""criminals, cartels, drug lords"??? What kind of shady business is this guy in to? He's should worry about the IRS more than the ATF. Dummy
  • NefariousNewt In this moment, where these gun-driven mass murders are occurring with alarming frequency, how long until one of these "I can carry my guns anywhere I want" types is shot and killed by a cop or security guard because the authority thinks they are an imminent threat and they won't relinquish their weapons?
  • Dale Craigbuying a codpiece would be cheaper....
    •  
  • judybrowni Because Lord knows, J.C. Penney is infested with "criminals, cartels, drug lords."

If we still had one in my neighborhood, I wouldn't enter without a hand grenade or two.

• David G Here's where I'd call a cop and report that this man has, by arming himself in public committed criminal assault -- putting me in a fear for my life.  That is the definition of "assault" and possibly the addition of "with a deadly weapon."  It would be "battery" if he actually used it.  You don't have to strike someone to be in violation of criminal assault.  You must realistically pose a threat.  I'd let this picture settle that argument.  DG
  • Jerry  Totally agree.  No matter how legal the *gun* is, his menacing behavior is not.  If I have that wrong, I think I'm living in the wrong country.
  • David G
  • Thanks, Jerry. We're not in the wrong country nor at the wrong time... It's just prudent to be cautious and foolish to be incendiary... and an assault weapon, legal or not, slung over one's shoulder is not putting people at ease, nor protecting this man... By the time he could unshoulder it, switch off the safety (assuming he had it on) and aiming, he's going to be dead. So what's his purpose other than to provoke?  This was was a foolish man doing a silly thing.  But it just helps those of us who wish to see valid background checks, the curtailing of non-registered weapons and the further sale of assault weapons.    DG
  • Shawn This comment was flagged for review.
  • DrunkenOrangetree So I should carry an unloaded assault weapon around as a fashion accessory? Why? It makes this guy's ass look too big, and his brain too small. Not a good look.
  • pigboy Recreational assault weapons fire riddles Ohio home, narrowly misses officer

Yeah, it's not like anything's ever happened to make people scared of the sight of a guy in street clothes carrying a big-ass military-grade rifle and enough ammo to take out a classroom of dangerous kids.
    • My grand dad was in law enforcement. He told me,  as a civilian, never bring a weapon along unless you're planning to use it.   Bad things tend to happen. 
  • cambridgemac Like the old joke about the parrot, NO.  I'm afraid of the demented straignt white man.  If the gun were there by itself I'd feel ok.
  • David G is...?  Fear?  And I placed a call the local (as local as it gets in my section of Los Angeles and you absolutely cannnot carry any weapon in public unless you have a concealed weapon permit... So either way, it doesn't matter, but my second amendment rights also provide for me to NOT carry weapon -- and that's my choice... I have no problem with you holding the opposite position, but this all started with the picture of this guy and I'd still do the same thing if it happened in my state -- call the police immediately and lodge a complaint as I am scared of guns.  And I have a right as well to not be put in a position of danger by this assault weapon carrier.  I'll let the police handle that situation.  But I appreciate your time and corrections...  DG
  • eastcoastlib 1
  • Does anyone have any doubt that if a group of Mexican kids waltzed into JC Penny with assault weapons strapped to their backs, SWAT would have been on the scene in minutes? 
    DawnPratt23
    by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    He wasn't refused service and people weren't freaked out. He does this all the time, and its legal in Utah to do so. Bad taste, yes. But people weren't freaking.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23769604
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Euphoric
    by Bazinga! on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I'm on the fence about this.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
    mikiemom
    by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    2 moms liked this

No you should not be able to walk around with an assault rifle. Yikes why the hell are these people so determined to take us back the 1800's weirdness.

IntactivistMama
    by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    2 moms liked this
    I would crap a brick if I saw that. Police officers don't even walk around with automatic firearms.
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    The_Doodle
    by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    1 mom liked this

Legal or not, I would not have stayed in that store. Call me paranoid, I don't care. There have been too many public places shot up (including malls) for me to trust a stranger carrying around mulitple weapons in a department store.

momtimesx4
    by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Ehhh dupe thread with just as much fear mongering.

Traci_Momof2
    by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

If I saw that I would get my kids and myself out of there as fast as I could and then I would be calling 911.  You can't just walk around sporting an assault rifle like that.  People just don't do that.  I mean, he may have known that he is a good guy and a protector of the general public or whatever he wants to call himself, but the rest of us have no way of knowing that he's not some deranged lunatic about ready to shoot up the place.

Any business around here that had their wits about them would never allow Gun Guy into their place of business because they know that if they did, they wouldn't have any customers left except for Gun Guy.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN