Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you let your 3 year old wrestle a pint sized alligator?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:11pm PST

Boy, 3, gains fame for his fondness of gators and other large reptiles

By: Pete Thomas, GrindTV.com

Charlie Parker is only 3, but already he's drawing comparisons to Crocodile Dundee because of his fondness for large reptiles.

His family refers to the brave kid as Australia's youngest wildlife ranger, but parents may cringe while watching the accompanying photo compilation.

It shows Charlie in super-close company with an American alligator that looks every bit the wild animal and is nearly his size.

But Charlie isn't just some kid off the street. He's the son of Greg Parker, who owns Ballarat Wildlife Park in Victoria, Australia.

The facility, essentially, is Charlie's backyard playground.

And while the alligator is somewhat of a pet, nicknamed Gump, it's still a wild animal that may someday attain a length of 13 feet or more.

Hopefully by then Charlie will have outgrown his desire to hold and wrestle large toothy critters, but that seems unlikely since his fondness for wild critters is in his genes.

Greg Parker, a second-generation animal care expert, stated on the YouTube video description: "We didn't go out to encourage it but he just loves reptiles. Like everybody he's frightened of some things... others not so much."

Ballarat Wildlife Park include large boa constrictors (which he also likes to hold) and cobras, along with kangaroos, koalas and wombats.

The Sun, in its Sunday edition, referred to Charlie as a "Chip off the old Croc."
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Hell no. lol lol

shadenn766
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

the baby is very cute...the alligator, not so much and no i wouldnt allow my baby to do that

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this
This is not a question I ever expected to be asked.
IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh hell no. That is an obligate carnivorous apex predator, not a damned Retriever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Good God, no.

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Eh, I wouldn't let my kid do it but my kid isn't growing up like he is.

tambrathegreat
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

He's been raised around the animals, so I don't see a problem with it.  If he had been raised around cattle, he would no doubt be out there amongst the animals helping in some manner.  The one thing I wouldn't let him be around would be other humans.  We're downright vicious sometimes.

lga1965
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

uh uh. No way.

krysstizzle
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My initial reaction to that picture was "ohmygoshhowcuteisthat!" Then I though, oh those teeth so close to that baby! Eeek.

Actually, my kids have held and petted a baby caiman before, when I worked at a natural history museum. I can't remember how old they were, but I held the caiman's mouth closed. So I guess my answer must be yes :/

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM
2 moms liked this

No way.  When humans lose their respect for the power and unpredictability of wild animals it often does not end well for the human or the animal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)