Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So today I learned

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 46 Replies

That in Akron I do not have the right to excuse a childs absence.  It used to be if a parent said you werent coming to school then it was excused and unexcused was when there was no call.

Now if your reason for calling them off is not sanctioned by the board the absence is unexcused.

I got a bit irritated by the secretery today, cold is not a  sanctioned reason.  I also learned that -22 windchill is the temp they cancel classes at.

I have little to no heat in my vehicle.  It is in single digits here and many schools are closed.  I did not take them

I am relieved that  the teachers are obligated to allow make ups..

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Well- those are the rules I'm sad to say but true as well.

My youngest who attends a private school 2 towns away was open in the aftermath of a recent Hurricane.  Two students from my town who also attend the school were able to get through the roads and get their children to school. In my part of town, I was completely cut off and no way to leave. I had to call my child out of school. He received an unexcused absence based on the fact that 2 school families were able to make it in it just made sense (to the school admin) that we could too. I could have made a big deal about it as he missed receiving a perfect attendance award- that was his only absence for the year. But- I let it slide. Some things are not worth fighting over.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Well- those are the rules I'm sad to say but true as well.

My youngest who attends a private school 2 towns away was open in the aftermath of a recent Hurricane.  Two students from my town who also attend the school were able to get through the roads and get their children to school. In my part of town, I was completely cut off and no way to leave. I had to call my child out of school. He received an unexcused absence based on the fact that 2 school families were able to make it in it just made sense (to the school admin) that we could too. I could have made a big deal about it as he missed receiving a perfect attendance award- that was his only absence for the year. But- I let it slide. Some things are not worth fighting over.

I agree that some things arent worth the fight.  I am good with them being allowed to make up work though..  Oh well times they are a changing lol.

It is much much different than when my kids went to school for sure!

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

What exactly are the consequences of an "unexcused" absence.  If they allow makeups and whatnot I would be inclinded to let the whole thing slide.  

I have noticed in our school district you are technically supposed to give a reason for the absence but if you don't do so they don't force the issue.  

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I have learned to play the game.  I say my daughter has a stomach virus and write it on the premade absence forms they give us.  They don't question a permitted reason no matter how often it is given.  I was going to start making up reasons, "child has dropsy", etc., but thought better of it.

Hope it warms up soon!  Brrrrr....

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Quoting DivingDiva:

What exactly are the consequences of an "unexcused" absence.  If they allow makeups and whatnot I would be inclinded to let the whole thing slide.  

I have noticed in our school district you are technically supposed to give a reason for the absence but if you don't do so they don't force the issue.  

I actually called the principal to make sure they would be permitted to make up work.

He said that our teachers are  mandated to make sure that makeups are given but they can mark down the papers however he said in grade school I that will likely not be an issue.

steffielou_who
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Get this, in our county, no absence is excused unless you have a doctors note so my boys have been at the doctor a ton this year! But my pedi knows the attendance policy and asks if the kids are really sick or I just need a doctors note! They will get a check up either way but its nice that the doctor and nurses are aware!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's because too many parents were calling in just because kids got up late or they didn't want to drive to school or things like that.  Totally not saying that what you did (my dad once didn't let us go to school in Wisconsin when the wind chill was -78 but hey, that was like 35 years ago - and school WAS open that day).  

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting DivingDiva:

It has more consequences for high school students in my school district. If they have something like 5 unexcused absences, they could lose partial or whole credit for their classes and they would have to re-take the course. It could affect graduation if a student does not have enough credits to graduate.

In the lower grades, if there are 5 un-excused parents are called in for a conference 3 more after that then a truant officer gets involved, I think. Thankfully, I have never had to deal with this!

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting steffielou_who:

Get this, in our county, no absence is excused unless you have a doctors note so my boys have been at the doctor a ton this year! But my pedi knows the attendance policy and asks if the kids are really sick or I just need a doctors note! They will get a check up either way but its nice that the doctor and nurses are aware!

Good grief.  That sounds like a great way to spread all the germs around while all the sick kids are stuck at the doctor's office.  How silly.  

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I will definitely remember what I learned today :)  Family illness is acceptable as well in our district so I know the drill now :)

I hope so too, single digits are way too cold for me.  I want to move south!

Quoting romalove:

I have learned to play the game.  I say my daughter has a stomach virus and write it on the premade absence forms they give us.  They don't question a permitted reason no matter how often it is given.  I was going to start making up reasons, "child has dropsy", etc., but thought better of it.

Hope it warms up soon!  Brrrrr....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN