Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Edit* more info pg1* What you think about this? related to religion, humanism, art, science, education and more...

Posted by   + Show Post

What does this picture mean to you? Have we forgotten this important message?

North West Passage

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
Susan0805
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
What message do YOU get from the pic?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM

What exactly is the message that you believe is in this painting, or want to discuss?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM

You would need to read/see who the people are (especially the central two figures) and what/who else is in the room to understand that part. I have included more info and some links.

Quoting Susan0805:

The pic reminds me of the old testement when people gathered together for commerce and religious teaching. I dont understand the "message" part you are looking for though.

North West Passage

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Susan0805:

Im mobile, can you make it clicky?

Quoting NWP:

Need a "cheat sheet"?

http://agutie.homestead.com/files/school_athens_map.html

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Another hint: It is in the private palatial library of the Vatican, commissioned by Pope Julius II

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Thanks for the additional info.  As a graduate of a liberal arts university I should probably have picked up on this, since it's precisely what a liberal arts educations is supposed to be about.  All students are expected to take a variety of classes from all fields with the hopes that no matter one's ultimate focus, studies from all fields will help inform one's overall understanding of the world and our place in it.  I think this is a good idea and very worthwhile.  So many colleges these days are focused on turning out graduates with a limited-focus marketable skill and I think we lose something from this approach.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM

This was a commission by the Vatican. The people and images, gestures and poses in this artwork represent something fundamentally understood in the Renaissance that we seem to have forgotten

I wish to discuss this

Quoting lancet98:

What exactly is the message that you believe is in this painting, or want to discuss?

North West Passage

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Where is Clairwell when I need her?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

You are on to something....

But for God's sake, don't mention the "L" word here! It means something different today than when the Pope commissioned this image..and is part of what I hope to open up for discussion.

There is a very important message in here.

Quoting DivingDiva:

Thanks for the additional info.  As a graduate of a liberal arts university I should probably have picked up on this, since it's precisely what a liberal arts educations is supposed to be about.  All students are expected to take a variety of classes from all fields with the hopes that no matter one's ultimate focus, studies from all fields will help inform one's overall understanding of the world and our place in it.  I think this is a good idea and very worthwhile.  So many colleges these days are focused on turning out graduates with a limited-focus marketable skill and I think we lose something from this approach.  

North West Passage

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured