Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Edit* more info pg1* What you think about this? related to religion, humanism, art, science, education and more...

Posted by   + Show Post

What does this picture mean to you? Have we forgotten this important message?

North West Passage

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (31-40):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

***I realize my previous reply didn't speak directly to the topic at hand, but you can all put it down to one-cup (of coffee) babble...***

:D

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I hope we haven't.  I'd think it's generally touted on boards like this that it's the "religious wingnuts" that are straying.  But if true, that would only tell part of the story, where many just seem to be indifferent to both "an eternal reality" and "observable things."  Our world of instant gratification and information is a huge perpetual sugar high.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a reader. I will read anything I can get my hands on. If it's in English, I'll read it. 

I was taught Latin in grade school and we learned a great deal from reading Plato and Aristotle in Latin. As a result, I can more or less read most of the Romance languages (not speak or understand when spoken to me though). 

I think education in general has lost a great deal. We are no longer taught how to thing but what to think. I agree with you, we have lost what is represented in this painting. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM

We only hear the "crazy" calling from the other side of our divide in our current climate...

Quoting Meadowchik:

I hope we haven't.  I'd think it's generally touted on boards like this that it's the "religious wingnuts" that are straying.  But if true, that would only tell part of the story, where many just seem to be indifferent to both "an eternal reality" and "observable things."  Our world of instant gratification and information is a huge perpetual sugar high.

North West Passage

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Love this and want to discuss. 

I've only had one cup of coffee so far, though. 

I'll be back.

I will say that the atrophy of learning in the past 200 years or so is incredibly irritating to me. I was actually discussing something similar (though not as in depth) with my co-workers at the bar last week. We were talking about grades in school, and I mentioned that honestly, grades were much less important to me than, say, my  kids watching documentaries with me, or reading certain books, or exploring and traveling the world, or even our dinner conversations. Much, much less important. 

This is a great point.  Our public schools are designed to accomplish a relatively narrow set of goals and it's so important for us as parents to provide additional enrichment and depth to our children's education.  

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

And grades are not a true measurement of a childs intelligence. Only their ability to spit out what they've had dished to them.

My son has issues with his grades because he resists authority. I was the same exact way so I get it. He's as intelligent as the next kid. 

I also have him watch documentaries like Cosmos with Carl Sagan. I cannot tell you how much he got out of that series. He understands evolution because of that series. 

Quoting DivingDiva:
Quoting krysstizzle:

I'll be back.

I will say that the atrophy of learning in the past 200 years or so is incredibly irritating to me. I was actually discussing something similar (though not as in depth) with my co-workers at the bar last week. We were talking about grades in school, and I mentioned that honestly, grades were much less important to me than, say, my  kids watching documentaries with me, or reading certain books, or exploring and traveling the world, or even our dinner conversations. Much, much less important. 

This is a great point.  Our public schools are designed to accomplish a relatively narrow set of goals and it's so important for us as parents to provide additional enrichment and depth to our children's education.  

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

*cackle* < Witchy laugh 

Quoting NWP:

We only hear the "crazy" calling from the other side of our divide in our current climate...

QuotingMeadowchik:

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Quoting mehamil1:

And grades are not a true measurement of a childs intelligence. Only their ability to spit out what they've had dished to them.

My son has issues with his grades because he resists authority. I was the same exact way so I get it. He's as intelligent as the next kid. 

I also have him watch documentaries like Cosmos with Carl Sagan. I cannot tell you how much he got out of that series. He understands evolution because of that series. 

Quoting DivingDiva:
Quoting krysstizzle:

I'll be back.

I agree.  Grades are one indicator of how much information a child is retaining but they don't tell the whole story.

I know the kids in our local school district get a lot of enrichment from their parents and tv documentaries.  I have been amazed by some of the discussion I have had during the time I did volunteer work in the classroom.  Even the first and second graders showed an amazing grasp of many scientific topics. 

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Quoting DivingDiva:

Thanks for the additional info.  As a graduate of a liberal arts university I should probably have picked up on this, since it's precisely what a liberal arts educations is supposed to be about.  All students are expected to take a variety of classes from all fields with the hopes that no matter one's ultimate focus, studies from all fields will help inform one's overall understanding of the world and our place in it.  I think this is a good idea and very worthwhile.  So many colleges these days are focused on turning out graduates with a limited-focus marketable skill and I think we lose something from this approach.  

I disagree. Most 4 year colleges and Universities require students to have at least a full year  of general education-science,language,history,math,philosophy,etc. -over 45 credits, before getting into your Major which focuses only on classes that contribute to your degree.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It's seems to be true that we saw more leftist "crazy talk" when Bush was in office.  Perhaps eacxh side tolerates the extremism more when they are working against a disadvantage, in order to rile up sentiment.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Meadowchik:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured