Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

*Edit* more info pg1* What you think about this? related to religion, humanism, art, science, education and more...

Posted by   + Show Post

What does this picture mean to you? Have we forgotten this important message?

North West Passage

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (41-50):
DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DivingDiva:

Thanks for the additional info.  As a graduate of a liberal arts university I should probably have picked up on this, since it's precisely what a liberal arts educations is supposed to be about.  All students are expected to take a variety of classes from all fields with the hopes that no matter one's ultimate focus, studies from all fields will help inform one's overall understanding of the world and our place in it.  I think this is a good idea and very worthwhile.  So many colleges these days are focused on turning out graduates with a limited-focus marketable skill and I think we lose something from this approach.  

I disagree. Most 4 year colleges and Universities require students to have at least a full year  of general education-science,language,history,math,philosophy,etc. -over 45 credits, before getting into your Major which focuses only on classes that contribute to your degree.

I don't know the stats but I do know that some colleges do not require even this level of general study.  IMO only a year to cover all the different fields of study is not nearly enough.  

lga1965
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting DivingDiva:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DivingDiva:

Thanks for the additional info.  As a graduate of a liberal arts university I should probably have picked up on this, since it's precisely what a liberal arts educations is supposed to be about.  All students are expected to take a variety of classes from all fields with the hopes that no matter one's ultimate focus, studies from all fields will help inform one's overall understanding of the world and our place in it.  I think this is a good idea and very worthwhile.  So many colleges these days are focused on turning out graduates with a limited-focus marketable skill and I think we lose something from this approach.  

I disagree. Most 4 year colleges and Universities require students to have at least a full year  of general education-science,language,history,math,philosophy,etc. -over 45 credits, before getting into your Major which focuses only on classes that contribute to your degree.

I don't know the stats but I do know that some colleges do not require even this level of general study.  IMO only a year to cover all the different fields of study is not nearly enough.  

Yes, that is why I said "at least a year". Maybe things have changed since I went to college in the 60's...but we were all pretty "well-rounded" . True that 2 year schools that give AA degrees won't offer much except for the classes in your field of study.

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DivingDiva:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DivingDiva:

Yes, that is why I said "at least a year". Maybe things have changed since I went to college in the 60's...but we were all pretty "well-rounded" . True that 2 year schools that give AA degrees won't offer much except for the classes in your field of study.

I think things have changed a lot since I went to college in the 1980's.   Things are much more geared toward getting a job than being well-rounded.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM
This is one of the reasons I wanted to post this image up for discussion. What does it say to you?

Quoting Meadowchik:

It's seems to be true that we saw more leftist "crazy talk" when Bush was in office.  Perhaps eacxh side tolerates the extremism more when they are working against a disadvantage, in order to rile up sentiment.

Quoting NWP:

We only hear the "crazy" calling from the other side of our divide in our current climate...

Quoting Meadowchik:

I hope we haven't.  I'd think it's generally touted on boards like this that it's the "religious wingnuts" that are straying.  But if true, that would only tell part of the story, where many just seem to be indifferent to both "an eternal reality" and "observable things."  Our world of instant gratification and information is a huge perpetual sugar high.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

This thread reminds me of this for some reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc

Quoting NWP:

This is one of the reasons I wanted to post this image up for discussion. What does it say to you?

Quoting Meadowchik:

It's seems to be true that we saw more leftist "crazy talk" when Bush was in office.  Perhaps eacxh side tolerates the extremism more when they are working against a disadvantage, in order to rile up sentiment.

Quoting NWP:

We only hear the "crazy" calling from the other side of our divide in our current climate...

Quoting Meadowchik:

I hope we haven't.  I'd think it's generally touted on boards like this that it's the "religious wingnuts" that are straying.  But if true, that would only tell part of the story, where many just seem to be indifferent to both "an eternal reality" and "observable things."  Our world of instant gratification and information is a huge perpetual sugar high.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM
3 moms liked this

That a civil society holding up potentially divergent opinions, even ideals, can exist, be noble and beautiful, full of rich heritage and the tools to progress.

PS My 8yo saw the top of the pic and thought it was a Stargate :)

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Meadowchik:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM

That was an interesting lecture Lucy

Quoting LucyMom08:

This thread reminds me of this for some reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Meadowchik:

North West Passage

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM

LOL...I think that Stargate embraces the concept of the marraige of Humanism and a Higher Power.

Quoting Meadowchik:

That a civil society holding up potentially divergent opinions, even ideals, can exist, be noble and beautiful, full of rich heritage and the tools to progress.

PS My 8yo saw the top of the pic and thought it was a Stargate :)

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Meadowchik:

North West Passage

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Anyone here ever play the "perfect dinner party" conversation game?

If you could invite anyone, from any time period or place in the world to a dinner party, who would it be? And why?

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting NWP:

Anyone here ever play the "perfect dinner party" conversation game?

If you could invite anyone, from any time period or place in the world to a dinner party, who would it be? And why?

How many people do I get to invite?  I would love to have dinner with Leonardo Da Vinci, Nikolai Tesla, Buckminster Fuller, Joan of Arc, Robert Anton Wilson, Rosalind Franklin, Jane Goodall, Thomas Jefferson, John Muir, and Timothy Leary, but clearly all at the same dinner party would not work. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN