Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

*Edit* more info pg1* What you think about this? related to religion, humanism, art, science, education and more...

Posted by   + Show Post

What does this picture mean to you? Have we forgotten this important message?

North West Passage

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (71-77):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Like the monumental Goddess on the right side of the painting? It is also great that she represents reason, while the naked guy on the left is beauty.

Quoting nb34:

Another impressive aspect of this painting is the inlusion of women in it.

North West Passage

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

We had some good debates in high school English.  I still remember some of them quite specifically and have wished to be able to go back and make some points that I could not articulate then :P

My daughter is studying the Ecclesia this week, a forum in Athens where debates could be held on civic matters.  It's amazing how some of the points made are identical to arguments heard today!

I won't look it up, but it was around 400 BC and after an Athenian Island rebelled, and the citizens were deciding how to punish them.  Cleon ascended the tribune and argued for death for all inhabitants, to punish and to prevent others from attempting rebellion in the future.  Diodote argued that if cities knew they would all face death anyhow, that they would fight more furiously, and that would be more costly for Athens.  The vote was almost split, but favored Diodote, and the action took was execution of only the rebellion leaders, and then all the islanders' lands were given to athens or to its citizens, but the residents were still allowed to plow the fields for crops, whilst paying taxes.

Quoting NWP:

Yes...that is the idea of the game, to speculation what those conversations would be like....

Just like this painting, which I would imagine would be a very very very exciting school to attend. I am sure there would be some hot debates!

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I think that kind of thinking is a natural part of growing up, first occuring in one way around age 7, then recycling again in the teens. It should dissipate with maturity, or atleast be balanced a bit.

On the other hand, it is worth saying that there are some instances when that kind of thinking is essential, like in instances of abuse or emergencies. 

Quoting Sisteract:

If nothing else is gleaned- the coming together and the sharing and co-mingling of different approaches, thoughts, opinions and disciplines is so, so revealing. Certainly makes you ponder where it all went wrong, and became replaced with my way or the highway thinkers.

nb34
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM

That and also the female mathematician on the left side right in front of Ibn Rushd! Reason and math, I like it :)

Quoting NWP:

Like the monumental Goddess on the right side of the painting? It is also great that she represents reason, while the naked guy on the left is beauty.

Quoting nb34:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

The only two people I know who are trained mathematicians by advanced degree are both female.

Quoting nb34:

That and also the female mathematician on the left side right in front of Ibn Rushd! Reason and math, I like it :)

Quoting NWP:

Quoting nb34:

North West Passage

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting NWP:

I would like to witness a Ken Kesey/Timothy Leary West Coast/East Coast show down...

Quoting LucyMom08:

I think if you had Leary bring party favors, you could save the world ;)

Quoting DivingDiva:

Quoting NWP:

Anyone here ever play the "perfect dinner party" conversation game?

If you could invite anyone, from any time period or place in the world to a dinner party, who would it be? And why?

How many people do I get to invite?  I would love to have dinner with Leonardo Da Vinci, Nikolai Tesla, Buckminster Fuller, Joan of Arc, Robert Anton Wilson, Rosalind Franklin, Jane Goodall, Thomas Jefferson, John Muir, and Timothy Leary, but clearly all at the same dinner party would not work. 

That would be awesome.  From what I understand Ken Kesey found Timothy Leary to be hopelessly uptight and generally a downer.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I always thought Kesey would be more fun to hang around....would be an interesting dinner party. We could throw in Gordon Liddy for some contrast.

Quoting DivingDiva:

Quoting NWP:

I would like to witness a Ken Kesey/Timothy Leary West Coast/East Coast show down...

Quoting LucyMom08:

I think if you had Leary bring party favors, you could save the world ;)

Quoting DivingDiva:

Quoting NWP:

Anyone here ever play the "perfect dinner party" conversation game?

If you could invite anyone, from any time period or place in the world to a dinner party, who would it be? And why?

How many people do I get to invite?  I would love to have dinner with Leonardo Da Vinci, Nikolai Tesla, Buckminster Fuller, Joan of Arc, Robert Anton Wilson, Rosalind Franklin, Jane Goodall, Thomas Jefferson, John Muir, and Timothy Leary, but clearly all at the same dinner party would not work. 

That would be awesome.  From what I understand Ken Kesey found Timothy Leary to be hopelessly uptight and generally a downer.  

North West Passage

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN