Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nearly half of U.S. children late receiving vaccines

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 83 Replies

Nearly half of U.S. children late receiving vaccines

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:44pm EST

(Reuters) - Nearly half of babies and toddlers in the United States aren't getting recommended vaccines on time, according to a study - and if enough skip vaccines, whole schools or communities could be vulnerable to diseases such as whooping cough and measles.

"What we're worried about is if (undervaccination) becomes more and more common, is it possible this places children at an increased risk of vaccine-preventable diseases?" said study leader Jason Glanz, with Kaiser Permanente Colorado in Denver.

"It's possible that some of these diseases that we worked so hard to eliminate (could) come back."

Glanz and his colleagues analyzed data from eight managed care organizations, including immunization records for about 323,000 children.

During the study period, the number of children who were late on at least one vaccine - including their measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (DTaP) shots - rose from 42 percent to more than 54 percent.

Babies born towards the end of the study were late on their vaccines for more days, on average, than those born earlier.

"When that happens, it can create this critical mass of susceptible individuals," said Saad Omer, from the Emory Vaccine Center in Atlanta, who wasn't involved in the new study.

Just over one in eight children went undervaccinated due to parents' choices. For the rest, it wasn't clear why they were late getting their shots. Some could have bounced in and out of insurance coverage, Glanz suggested, or were sick during their well-child visits, so doctors postponed vaccines.

Undervaccinated kids also tended to have fewer doctors' appointments and emergency room visits than those who got their shots on time, according to findings published in the journal JAMA Pediatrics.

That could be because their parents more often turn to alternative or complementary medicine when it's an option, Omer said. (or perhaps those children aren't getting ill frequently and their parents are keeping them out of harms way)

Recent studies have shown many parents asking to delay or skip certain vaccines, often citing safety concerns such as a link between vaccines and autism - a theory which scientists now agree holds no water.(if this was the truth than the parents who won their law suits regarding vaccinations wouldn't be receiving payouts.)

"We don't really know if these 'alternative schedules' as they're called are as safe, less safe or more safe than the current schedule, Glanz told Reuters Health, adding that parents who are considering an alternative vaccination schedule should talk with their child's doctor first - and be especially careful about what they read online. (So we should all disregard this article?)

"We don't have any evidence that there are any safety concerns with the current recommended schedule, and right now the best way to protect your child from infection is to get your child vaccinated on time," he said.

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot of parents use a delayed schedule for vaccinating, especially since the number of vaccine's given at the same time is getting rediculous. Sounds to me like they're trying to say that if it isn't done their way as per their schedule, it's wrong and poses a danger. Wonder how long it's going to be before Dr.'s are advised not to go along with or allow using a delayed schedule.

lga1965
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

This is so sad. SO many parents are so irresponsible.

This thread will be a long one and a confrontational one. Maybe I should get my popcorn......

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Quoting meriana:

A lot of parents use a delayed schedule for vaccinating, especially since the number of vaccine's given at the same time is getting rediculous. Sounds to me like they're trying to say that if it isn't done their way as per their schedule, it's wrong and poses a danger. Wonder how long it's going to be before Dr.'s are advised not to go along with or allow using a delayed schedule.

I was relieved it was a completely slanted article.

I agree with you about doctors advising delays. Thankfully our pediatrician is on board. Also, DS is 2 and he has never been on an antibiotic or been to the emergency room. he's been in for two visits regarding allergies that weren't well visits. Our DD is 4 and she's been on antibiotics once and only been in to see the doctor 3 times that weren't well visits. She's seen the dermatologist, but imo that's different. We've never had an emergency room visit. We don't seek alternative medicine either.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I vaccinate my children on time.  I trust the recommended schedule and have never had any issues with it. 

That said, I understand some parents do want to spread out the vaccinations, and from what I have seen, those that do, do not necessarily wait long to do so.  I really don't see an issue if someone gets one vaccination, and then waits a few months to get another one, and so forth.  I think the important thing to focus on is that children are getting their vaccinations. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

This thread will be a long one and a confrontational one. Maybe I should get my popcorn......

I find it absurd that you label me irresponsible for delaying vaccinations with my children. My son is 2 and he just got his first mmr.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I vaccinate my children on time.  I trust the recommended schedule and have never had any issues with it. 

That said, I understand some parents do want to spread out the vaccinations, and from what I have seen, those that do, do not necessarily wait long to do so.  I really don't see an issue if someone gets one vaccination, and then waits a few months to get another one, and so forth.  I think the important thing to focus on is that children are getting their vaccinations. 

We get one vaccine at a time and have found that 3 weeks is a sufficient amount of time between vaxes.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM
4 moms liked this

Considering children in the US are scheduled to receive upwards of 36 vaccines in the first 2 yrs of life, I'm not surprised half are behind schedule. If we vaccinated at all it would be on a delayed schedule with only one vaccine before age 2. 

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM
6 moms liked this

This contains biased commentary, but I would think the list is shocking enough...money talks, I guess...

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting lga1965:

I find it absurd that you label me irresponsible for delaying vaccinations with my children. My son is 2 and he just got his first mmr.

I stopped worrying or caring a long time ago about what strangers on the Internet say about my parenting choices. I do what is best for My family and that is my #1 job as a parent. To do what is best for my children. 

I approve this message!

lga1965
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting lga1965:

I wasn't talking to YOU....I am referring to parents who are afraid of all vaccinations and could create new epidemics,okay?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)