Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Apartment complex to test dog poop DNA

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 47 Replies

Apartment complex to test dog poop DNA

Posted: Jan 21, 2013 12:18 PM CST Updated: Jan 21, 2013 3:09 PM CST
By: Melissa Cutler - bio | email

Indi.ca | Flickr Creative Commons
Indi.ca | Flickr Creative Commons
PLANO, Texas -

Residents in one Plano apartment complex will soon have to scoop their dog's poop or face a big stink when management tests it for DNA.

Northside at Legacy recently posted a notice on residents doors informing them that they needed to provide a DNA sample from their pet.

"Once the registry is complete, any feces found on the property will be checked for DNA and the pet owner will be fined $250. If the fine is not paid, the rental agreement will be terminated. If you fail to register your pet, you will be fined $250 and risk termination of your rental agreement as well," the notice states.

According to the letter, the tests will be conducted by Tennessee-based PooPrints. The company says on its website that properties using its services report an almost immediate reduction in dog poop.

Some at Northside like the idea.

Danielle Lay doesn't mind giving up her dog's DNA because she said the problem has gotten pretty bad.

"I agree with it because there's a lot of people who unfortunately are not picking up after their dogs," she said.

Others called it nonsense.

"It's crazy. What's the world coming to? Taking DNA from a dog and matching it to the poop? That's nuts," said Michael Guyer.

Although he admits he can't walk in a straight line on some of the sidewalks without stepping in the stuff, he still thinks's the idea is insane. It's a little too much Big Brother for him.

"That's why I'm laughing. It's the craziest thing I've ever heard. It's like 1984. Like, what other things are they going to come up with to do something like this," he said.

The complex said it has only had one complaint so far about the new policy. It also believes doggie DNA testing is only going to become more and more common.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/20640340/apartment-complex-to-test-dog-poop-dna#ixzz2IiiK0fyf
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Far out.  I wonder what a person who lived 100 or so years ago would think if they saw something like this.  It's a very strange society we live in.  

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh my. Wonder how much it's going to cost the complex to test every time they get a sample from the grass?  And, what are they going to do when they find that it doesn't match to any of the known samples in their database?  Bwahahaha.... Are they going to go after strays or neighborhood dogs?  And, what if it's not Doggie DNA?  Just too funny!

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Really, they have this much extra money? They could hire someone to clean up the poo, lol.

I do think people should be picking up their dog's poo though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I think the thought of being caught letting your dog poop in a public common is enough to encourage people to pick up after their dog. I wonder what happens when they get caught? Are they kicked out, or forced to give up their pet or what?

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I lol'd! But honestly, I don't really have a problem with it. Scoop the poop like you're supposed to anyway and it won't even be a problem. I wonder how many poop tests will have to be done now that the residents are on notice about the fact that sneaking off without picking it up and making sure no one noticed isn't going to cut it anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rotPferd
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I, myself, find this a bit ridiculous. If it's in the original lease, I can see it being enforced unless there is a clause stating that rules can change at any time. Also, wouldn't this borderline illegal search and seizure rules?

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Well it says they'll be fined $250. I would imagine that's probably in line with the DNA fees.

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

Oh my. Wonder how much it's going to cost the complex to test every time they get a sample from the grass?  And, what are they going to do when they find that it doesn't match to any of the known samples in their database?  Bwahahaha.... Are they going to go after strays or neighborhood dogs?  And, what if it's not Doggie DNA?  Just too funny!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hislovebug
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
lga1965
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds silly and expensive but I have a resentment toward people who don't pick up theor pets' poops. I walked my dog and had a  supply of "poop bags" to pick up his poop but I used to see poop all over OR a bag with poop in it left by the sidewalk. It is annoying. Lazy stupid people. It doesn't take much effort to clean up after your dog. They are pigs if they don't. Kind of makes me wonder what their homes look like....or do I want to know? Ick.

DissieDothe
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

The park districts should require DNA samples before allowing pet owners to bring their pets to the park. And dogs that have been picked up by animal control should require DNA samples before being released to their owners!

Cops collecting dog poop?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN