Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teen's Alleged Shooting Spree Kills His Parents & Three Siblings But It Could Have Been Worse (VIDEO) What do you think of this tragedy?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 17 Replies

Teen's Alleged Shooting Spree Kills His Parents & Three Siblings But It Could Have Been Worse (VIDEO)

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on January 21, 2013

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. New Mexico teen Nehemiah Griego, who is 15, has been accused of killing his parents and three siblings -- first his mother, Sara, then his 9-year-old brother, then his 5-year-old and 2-year-old sisters. He then waited hours until his father got home -- and killed him too. All with the family's own arsenal of guns.

Griego, who lived in New Mexico with his family, was reportedly "annoyed" with his mother and so he waited until she was asleep before taking one of the family guns -- which were apparently not locked away -- and shooting her in the head. When his 9-year-old brother, Zephania, who was sleeping with her awoke from the sound, his brother informed him that their mom was dead. When the boy said he didn't believe it, Griego reportedly lifted up his mother's bloodied head before shooting his brother.

His sisters, awakened by the noise, then reportedly began crying. The police report states: "Nehemiah stated he lost his sense of conscience and went to the bedroom his two younger sisters share. Nehemiah stated when he entered he noticed that his sisters were crying and he shot both of them in the head."

After killing most of his family, the teen then went to a closet and got a AR-15 military-style assault rifle and waited for his father, Gregory, who once was a pastor, to return home. When he did, his son lay in wait and ended his life.

Chillingly, the boy then called a friend, told him what he'd done, and said he was on his way to a populated area (some reports have said a Walmart) to commit more carnage. He said he wanted the police to shoot him. Amazingly, his friend was able to convince him to meet at his father's church instead. There, he told police, who had earlier been called by someone at the church, that he'd come home to find his family dead. But reportedly he eventually admitted to doing it himself -- and reports say he even texted a picture of his dead mother to his girlfriend.

Police believe Griego was home schooled. He liked to wear fatigues, but was otherwise described as "quiet" and "normal" by neighbors. The Daily Mail reports that he might be the seventh of ten children, but no word on where the other children are. This tragedy is truly abominable, but it sounds like it could have been even more horrific if Griego had continued with his killing spree.

What do you think of this tragedy?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that too many of our youth, have lost all compassion and care only about themselves and their wants. When did we stop valuing human life?

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I think people have lost their damn minds. It's just madness.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I want to know one thing.  What drugs was this kid prescribed?  I can bet there are some.

No one wants to talk about the effects of drugging children on their bodies.  A couple of antidepressants already warn that they are "not for children" and that  to tell your doctor if you have thoughts of suicide or hurting anyone. 

Being homeschooled has not one freaking thing to do with it.  Most homeschooled kids are quite healthy and engaged in life.  But I love how they point this out and neglect to tell us important factors. 

hismommy2010
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I live 3 hours from where this took place... It makes me hurt for those kids and the parents. Our world is so evil anymore... All I can do is pray.

hismommy2010
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel we are raising an evil society. Our movies, cartoons, games are all filled with so much violence and it's making these kids grow up being 'used' to seeing this stuff and it's perfectly normal to them.

We need to make a change in all that we do, to help prevent things like this,

a good place to start, would be to stop making everything about murder, rape, and crimes.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I disagree.

I think, if anything, we are far MORE sensitive to what children get to see than ever before. Think back to the French Revolution and the public executions... and the American Civil War, fought largely by teenagers... 

I believe that what is causing this is the whole 'anyone is suitable as a parent substitute, parents are far too valuable to waste their time raising children' attitude that has separated people from their own families for the vast majority of any given week in their childhoods, often from the earliest weeks of their lives.

Quoting hismommy2010:

I feel we are raising an evil society. Our movies, cartoons, games are all filled with so much violence and it's making these kids grow up being 'used' to seeing this stuff and it's perfectly normal to them.

a good place to start, would be to stop making everything about murder, rape, and crimes.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I agree, after all, it is the parents job to make sure that their children are watching and exposed to appropriate material, and too many don't bother. Throw in the parents who don't believe that "Johnny" could ever do something wrong, or be cruel, and automatically defend him without trying to teach him what is right from wrong, you are asking for trouble. If you see your kid bullying someone, or just standing there laughing while someone else is being bullied, take the time to point out that they wouldn't like to be treated that way, don't just excuse it as "boys being boys", etc.

Quoting LindaClement:

I disagree.

I think, if anything, we are far MORE sensitive to what children get to see than ever before. Think back to the French Revolution and the public executions... and the American Civil War, fought largely by teenagers... 

I believe that what is causing this is the whole 'anyone is suitable as a parent substitute, parents are far too valuable to waste their time raising children' attitude that has separated people from their own families for the vast majority of any given week in their childhoods, often from the earliest weeks of their lives.

Quoting hismommy2010:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM
You mean like it is necessary that every terrorist being labeled by their religion?
 Quoting TranquilMind:

I want to know one thing.  What drugs was this kid prescribed?  I can bet there are some.

No one wants to talk about the effects of drugging children on their bodies.  A couple of antidepressants already warn that they are "not for children" and that  to tell your doctor if you have thoughts of suicide or hurting anyone. 

Being homeschooled has not one freaking thing to do with it.  Most homeschooled kids are quite healthy and engaged in life.  But I love how they point this out and neglect to tell us important factors. 

crafthag
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll bet there was a ADHD diagnosis and some "helpful pills" to go along with it. 

gammie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Some want to become famous and yes they are sick!

You can take away all the guns in the world  and they will still kill.

And by the way it should not matter what they wear. They make it sound like wearing fatigues  was a sign. Now all young boys that wear fatigues are going to make stupid people nervous?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)