Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BREAKING NOW Another school shooting Texas College UPDATE multiple people shot, looking for a second person!

Posted by   + Show Post
On CNN now Texas college on lockdown due to shooting
Shooter has not been caught.

www.lonestar.edu/northharris.htm
news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/22/shooting-reported-at-texas-college/?hpt=hp_t3

Gunman reported at Texas college
Gunman reported at a Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas
School has asked students to take shelter, school spokesman says
Below are the latest updates as they come to us

[Updated at 2:28 p.m. ET] The FBI and ATF have sent agents to assist local authorities with an incident at Lone Star College according to Shauna Dunlop with FBI Houston and Franceska Perot with ATF Houston.

[Updated at 2:27 p.m. ET] A witness told CNN affiliate KPRC that she hid underneath her desk while she heard five or six gunshots at Lone Star College.

[Updated at 2:26 p.m. ET] One person has been transported to Houston Northwest Medical Center, according to spokeswoman Ashley Walton.

She would not give any further details about the patient.

[Updated at 2:14 p.m. ET] Students were filing out of what CNN affiliate KHOU reports is the library on campus.

[Updated at 2:10 p.m. ET] Video from CNN affiliate KPRC shows law enforcement personnel herding people from one part of the campus to another.

[Updated at 2:02 p.m. ET] Students at a Lone Star College campus in Houston have been asked to take shelter after reports of a gunman on campus, a school spokesman said.

More than 10,000 students are at the North Harris campus of Lone Star College, spokesman Jed Young said.

[Initial post, 1:50 p.m. ET] A shooting has been reported at a Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, CNN affiliates KTRK and KPRC reported.

Footage from KPRC showed a large number of law enforcement personnel on campus, and at least two people being wheeled on gurneys toward ambulances.

This story is developing. We'll post more details as we get them.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (301-310):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Actually, I said it was being reported as being gang related, not that I said it was gang related.

Quoting LindaClement:

The cop acknowledges that there are rumours about it being gang-related, but no information that being so.

That's your argument that it's gang-related?!?

Quoting talia-mom:

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) An official with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office as well as an official with Lone Star College spoke late Tuesday afternoon about the shooting that took place on one of the college’s campuses. Each offered a coinciding assessment of the day’s events.

Acting Harris County Sheriff Armando Tello stated that with the quick response time of Harris County Sheriff’s authorities to Lone Star College coupled with training, the shooting incident was quickly dissipated. According to Tello, units received a call about the shooting in the noon hour and deputies arrived on the college campus minutes later.

According to officials with the Harris County Sheriff’s office: “…the initial 911 call received at the HCSO’s Emergency Dispatch Center was at 12:19 p.m. this [Tuesday] afternoon. The first deputy arrived at the scene four minutes after the information was dispatched.”

Tello also stated that the shooting stemmed from an “altercation between two individuals,” He added. “One of the individuals had a student I.D.” stated Tello. He further confirmed that a maintenance man of the college was shot in his leg and was an innocent bystander; he is expected to make a full recovery from his injury.

Tello further confirmed that there are two persons of interest. Those persons of interest were not arrested at the time of this report. He also spoke about reports surfacing about the shooting being gang related. He replied that he, “…did not have information about the shooting being gang-related” at the time of his assessment of the day’s events. He did however, confirm that the campus was “cleared and secure.”

Dr. Richard Carpenter, chancellor of Lone Star College also provided a coinciding assessment of the shooting and publicly thanked “…various sectors of law enforcement for their quick response time…” to the shooting. According to Dr. Carpenter, Lone Star College is home to 19,000 students and within that network of students are multiple ways they can receive information about emergency situations and circumstances taking place on campus. He further stated that emails as well as text flashes were sent to students via their mobile devices about Tuesday’s shooting, but the service is one that is optional to students.

Dr. Carpenter who also confirmed that one of the college’s maintenance workers was shot in the leg, said that he is in “good shape” and is expected to fully recover from his injuries.

He also added that the shooting comes upon the heels of the college’s 40th anniversary and that there has never been an incident of the magnitude of urgency of Tuesday’s shooting in the college’s 40 year history. He further stated that ironically, the college had been undergoing several days of training for exercises pertaining to emergency protocol and scenarios of a campus shooting. According to Dr. Carpenter, Lone Star College has a 170 member police force that has undergone extensive training in emergency protocol.

Dr. Carpenter thanked the Harris County Sheriff’s Office for their quick response time and added that the campus will be open Wednesday for classes. It is his hope that Tuesday’s shooting will provide a lesson for many to understand and assess as the college’s faculty, staff and students move forward. On the Lone Star College Twitter account was the following providing details about Wednesday:

Officials on Tuesday also confirmed that the two persons of interest who were both male, were injured and that a female student suffered some medical complications after the shooting.

No arrests had been made by any officials at the time of this report.

Click here to read the initial reports of the shooting that took place at Lone Star College Tuesday.

Quoting LindaClement:

Link?

Quoting talia-mom:

I will believe what the news reports.

Everything I read said it was gang related.   You may have to actually read some more Houston area stories to get that.

I never said it was gang related, just that they were reporting it might be.   You are the one that said you never saw anything that said it was gang related.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

And I said the reports were speculation.

Why are you arguing?

Quoting talia-mom:

Actually, I said it was being reported as being gang related, not that I said it was gang related.

Quoting LindaClement:

The cop acknowledges that there are rumours about it being gang-related, but no information that being so.

Quoting talia-mom:

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) An official with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office as well as an official with Lone Star College spoke late Tuesday afternoon about the shooting that took place on one of the college’s campuses. Each offered a coinciding assessment of the day’s events.

Acting Harris County Sheriff Armando Tello stated that with the quick response time of Harris County Sheriff’s authorities to Lone Star College coupled with training, the shooting incident was quickly dissipated. According to Tello, units received a call about the shooting in the noon hour and deputies arrived on the college campus minutes later.

According to officials with the Harris County Sheriff’s office: “…the initial 911 call received at the HCSO’s Emergency Dispatch Center was at 12:19 p.m. this [Tuesday] afternoon. The first deputy arrived at the scene four minutes after the information was dispatched.”

Tello also stated that the shooting stemmed from an “altercation between two individuals,” He added. “One of the individuals had a student I.D.” stated Tello. He further confirmed that a maintenance man of the college was shot in his leg and was an innocent bystander; he is expected to make a full recovery from his injury.

Tello further confirmed that there are two persons of interest. Those persons of interest were not arrested at the time of this report. He also spoke about reports surfacing about the shooting being gang related. He replied that he, “…did not have information about the shooting being gang-related” at the time of his assessment of the day’s events. He did however, confirm that the campus was “cleared and secure.”

Dr. Richard Carpenter, chancellor of Lone Star College also provided a coinciding assessment of the shooting and publicly thanked “…various sectors of law enforcement for their quick response time…” to the shooting. According to Dr. Carpenter, Lone Star College is home to 19,000 students and within that network of students are multiple ways they can receive information about emergency situations and circumstances taking place on campus. He further stated that emails as well as text flashes were sent to students via their mobile devices about Tuesday’s shooting, but the service is one that is optional to students.

Dr. Carpenter who also confirmed that one of the college’s maintenance workers was shot in the leg, said that he is in “good shape” and is expected to fully recover from his injuries.

He also added that the shooting comes upon the heels of the college’s 40th anniversary and that there has never been an incident of the magnitude of urgency of Tuesday’s shooting in the college’s 40 year history. He further stated that ironically, the college had been undergoing several days of training for exercises pertaining to emergency protocol and scenarios of a campus shooting. According to Dr. Carpenter, Lone Star College has a 170 member police force that has undergone extensive training in emergency protocol.

Dr. Carpenter thanked the Harris County Sheriff’s Office for their quick response time and added that the campus will be open Wednesday for classes. It is his hope that Tuesday’s shooting will provide a lesson for many to understand and assess as the college’s faculty, staff and students move forward. On the Lone Star College Twitter account was the following providing details about Wednesday:

Officials on Tuesday also confirmed that the two persons of interest who were both male, were injured and that a female student suffered some medical complications after the shooting.

Click here to read the initial reports of the shooting that took place at Lone Star College Tuesday.

Quoting LindaClement:

Link?

Quoting talia-mom:

Everything I read said it was gang related.   You may have to actually read some more Houston area stories to get that.

I never said it was gang related, just that they were reporting it might be.   You are the one that said you never saw anything that said it was gang related.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

because you said you never saw anything that said it was gang related.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why are you arguing?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting LindaClement:

Link?

Quoting talia-mom:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Because I didn't until this, which acknowledges the idea as speculation.

Quoting talia-mom:

because you said you never saw anything that said it was gang related.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why are you arguing?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting LindaClement:

Link?

Quoting talia-mom:

baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I highly doubt the companies that make guns actually planned on some psyco idiots going out and shooting innocent people. The intended purpose of guns was NOT to kill the innocent. Military style guns should be just for the military that is where they are intended to be. Why they are out there for others to purchase is beyond me, but they were not made to kill the innocent.

Quoting elliephant:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
elliephant
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM

They are made to maximize human fatalities.  Thats their only purpose. There is no morality behind their construction...if there were, they wouldnt make them at all period.  Im pretty sure that "innocents" are murdered in other countries all the time with military grade weaponry in the name of "war".

But we dont flinch. Its justified.  Its a "necessary" evil in war.

I agree with you, i dont know why they are out there for civilian purchase. Its insanity.

Quoting baileymarie723:

I highly doubt the companies that make guns actually planned on some psyco idiots going out and shooting innocent people. The intended purpose of guns was NOT to kill the innocent. Military style guns should be just for the military that is where they are intended to be. Why they are out there for others to purchase is beyond me, but they were not made to kill the innocent.

Quoting elliephant:

baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM
You are right there are probably a lot of "innocents" being killed in other countries in the name of "war". I don't find those killings justified. I believe no matter what the situation an innocent person should not be shot at. If taking a shot at the "bad guy" could result in the death of an "innocent" don't risk the shot. I like Obama's idea of criminal background checks before getting any type of gun, although the morons who go out on killing sprees usually steal the guns they use so not sure how well it would work. DH doesn't like the idea because he thinks it is just punishing the law abiding citizens. My response "if your law abiding you'll still get the gun you just have to wait a little longer big deal". He was raised using guns for "sport" though, so I can understand where he gets angry. Big hunters and target shooters in his family.

Quoting elliephant:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
zandersmommy550
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Quoting elliephant:

its refreshing to know that guns are not the problem! (sarcasm)

The people with the guns are the problem; not the guns.

"Guns don't kill people-people kill people."
ktinaza
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Thanks

Quoting talia-mom:

Good luck paying for a private college.

Quoting ktinaza:

Geez I don't want my kids to go to a public school anymore this is ridiculous! Way to many school shootings.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elliephant
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Quoting zandersmommy550:

Quoting elliephant:

its refreshing to know that guns are not the problem! (sarcasm)

The people with the guns are the problem; not the guns.

"Guns don't kill people-people kill people."

Then lets ban people from guns.  Guns should not be in contact with people, they are getting a bad rap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)