Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BREAKING NOW Another school shooting Texas College UPDATE multiple people shot, looking for a second person!

Posted by   + Show Post
On CNN now Texas college on lockdown due to shooting
Shooter has not been caught.

www.lonestar.edu/northharris.htm
news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/22/shooting-reported-at-texas-college/?hpt=hp_t3

Gunman reported at Texas college
Gunman reported at a Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas
School has asked students to take shelter, school spokesman says
Below are the latest updates as they come to us

[Updated at 2:28 p.m. ET] The FBI and ATF have sent agents to assist local authorities with an incident at Lone Star College according to Shauna Dunlop with FBI Houston and Franceska Perot with ATF Houston.

[Updated at 2:27 p.m. ET] A witness told CNN affiliate KPRC that she hid underneath her desk while she heard five or six gunshots at Lone Star College.

[Updated at 2:26 p.m. ET] One person has been transported to Houston Northwest Medical Center, according to spokeswoman Ashley Walton.

She would not give any further details about the patient.

[Updated at 2:14 p.m. ET] Students were filing out of what CNN affiliate KHOU reports is the library on campus.

[Updated at 2:10 p.m. ET] Video from CNN affiliate KPRC shows law enforcement personnel herding people from one part of the campus to another.

[Updated at 2:02 p.m. ET] Students at a Lone Star College campus in Houston have been asked to take shelter after reports of a gunman on campus, a school spokesman said.

More than 10,000 students are at the North Harris campus of Lone Star College, spokesman Jed Young said.

[Initial post, 1:50 p.m. ET] A shooting has been reported at a Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, CNN affiliates KTRK and KPRC reported.

Footage from KPRC showed a large number of law enforcement personnel on campus, and at least two people being wheeled on gurneys toward ambulances.

This story is developing. We'll post more details as we get them.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (311-311):
motivatedmomof7
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I don't get on CM often so I just saw that I was quoted here.  But to answer your question, you bet your ass I could shoot someone if I felt my life, or that of my children/family was in danger.  That's what the shotgun I have in my house is for!!!  I doubt asking an intruder/would be rapist, to leave nicely, would do the trick.  ***eyeroll***

You know what else kills people everyday or every year?  Innocent people too.  Cars do.  So I guess none of us should be allowed to drive.  We should all go back to walking.  Perhaps horses would be too dangerous too, so yes...walking would probably be best.  Swimming pools are huge killers every year.  Many, many accidental drownings so maybe we should outlaw those too.  Airplanes have the occasional crash.  May not happen as often as cars but boy when they crash, they do kill mass numbers of people most times.  So maybe no more flying too.  What about knives?  Stabbings happen all the time, but I use my knives in the kitchen.  So no more of those either then?  I could go on and on here too, I suppose, but I won't.  Maybe you will get my point, or perhaps not.

Guns don't kill people.  People kill people.  Do the wrong people get ahold of guns??  Absolutely.  Do you think all the criminals and gang members are going to just hand over their guns??  No.  They are not.  Perhaps you could ask them nicely and see how well that works for you.  Criminals will get ahold of guns just like drug users get ahold of drugs.  If someone wants a gun, they will get a gun.  Does not mean they will get it legally either.  People sell illegal firearms just like they do drugs, stereos and the list could go on.  So the only thing taking away guns from us lawabiding citizens would do, would make us unable to defend ourselves against these criminals, who would undoubtedly have guns or other weapons.

But I do have the right to defend myself and/or my family and NO ONE will take away my 2nd amendment right.  I'd just like to see someone try!!!!!!

Quoting cjsbmom:

And to shoot innocent people in the name of "helping," which is reportedly what happened yesterday with the second shooter. He shot an innocent bystander while trying to use his gun to stop the first shooter. Everyone spouts about their right to own a gun, but could you actually shoot another person if you had to? Most people can't when it comes right down to it, and this "helper" yesterday was a perfect example. When I was trained to use my  handgun eons ago, the instructor told me "never pull it unless you are able to actually use it." Good advice.

Quoting motivatedmomof7:

This was right down the street from me. And yes...we do like our guns in Texas...and the fact that we have the right to defend ourselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN