Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BREAKING NOW Another school shooting Texas College UPDATE multiple people shot, looking for a second person!

Posted by   + Show Post
On CNN now Texas college on lockdown due to shooting
Shooter has not been caught.

www.lonestar.edu/northharris.htm
news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/22/shooting-reported-at-texas-college/?hpt=hp_t3

Gunman reported at Texas college
Gunman reported at a Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas
School has asked students to take shelter, school spokesman says
Below are the latest updates as they come to us

[Updated at 2:28 p.m. ET] The FBI and ATF have sent agents to assist local authorities with an incident at Lone Star College according to Shauna Dunlop with FBI Houston and Franceska Perot with ATF Houston.

[Updated at 2:27 p.m. ET] A witness told CNN affiliate KPRC that she hid underneath her desk while she heard five or six gunshots at Lone Star College.

[Updated at 2:26 p.m. ET] One person has been transported to Houston Northwest Medical Center, according to spokeswoman Ashley Walton.

She would not give any further details about the patient.

[Updated at 2:14 p.m. ET] Students were filing out of what CNN affiliate KHOU reports is the library on campus.

[Updated at 2:10 p.m. ET] Video from CNN affiliate KPRC shows law enforcement personnel herding people from one part of the campus to another.

[Updated at 2:02 p.m. ET] Students at a Lone Star College campus in Houston have been asked to take shelter after reports of a gunman on campus, a school spokesman said.

More than 10,000 students are at the North Harris campus of Lone Star College, spokesman Jed Young said.

[Initial post, 1:50 p.m. ET] A shooting has been reported at a Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, CNN affiliates KTRK and KPRC reported.

Footage from KPRC showed a large number of law enforcement personnel on campus, and at least two people being wheeled on gurneys toward ambulances.

This story is developing. We'll post more details as we get them.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

And it is much easier to intentionally kill a lot of people in a short amount of time with a gun.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Anything can be made dangerous in the wrong hands, even a pencil. You just hear more about guns because they seem to be the weapon of choice when crimes are committed.

Quoting stormcris:

What about throwing knives, other such knives,axes,and swords? The ones I have were not created for any purpose but defense.

The reason I ask is it seems preception of what is dangerous changes when you speak of knives or guns, do you feel that is true?

Quoting cjsbmom:

I get so tired of this old argument. Cars were not made with the intention of killing people and animals. Guns were. End of story.

Quoting MiddleAgeMess:

There was an 86 car pileup where I live yesterday, one lady was killed & they had to perform CPR on a child, should we ban cars? It's easier to get a drivers license than a CCP after all.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Joqui:

This is not like the other school shootings.

Apparently two guys were fighting both pulled out guns. 3 people were hurt, one of the shooters got away

This situation was made easier by Texas' lax gun laws. Everyone can own a gun, and you can carry concealed without too much effort legally. This is what happens when everyone is armed, and then they lose their tempers.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM
12 moms liked this

With regard to the gun/car analogy, go ahead; let’s regulate guns in the same fashion that we regulate motor vehicles.

Before you can legally operate a motor vehicle you must pass a competence test. I can agree to a competence test before you can operate a gun.

There are proscribed actions that will revoke your ability to legally operate a motor vehicle should you demonstrate an inability to safely operate a vehicle. I can agree to a set process to have your access to guns restricted should you prove to be unsafe with a gun.

If you wish to operate a motor vehicle that is larger than a car (truck) or more maneuverable than a car (motorcycle) you must pass additional tests to legally operate these unique forms of transportation. I can agree to additional tests and checks if you wish to own a larger or faster gun.

Also, operators or larger vehicles such as trucks are held to a higher standard for sobriety and for how long they may legally operate their vehicle. I can agree to restrictions as to when and where you are allowed to operate specialized weapons. I can agree to higher penalties should you be found guilty of operating a weapon while under the influence of legal or illegal drugs. (Legal drugs include alcohol.)

If you wish to legally operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway you must register and pay fees to enjoy that privilege. These are often in the form or registration fees and roadway fuel taxes. I can agree to annual fees and registrations for each and every gun you own. I can also agree to fees and taxes on each individual bullet you wish to own. This could even be in the form of a stamp that could apply to a total number of live shells in your possession. That way when you use them you can transfer your tax stamp to apply to the new ammunition. If you buy enough tax stamps for 1000 shells, that is your personal limit. If you wish to have armor piercing teflon coated cop killers, the tax should be exponentially greater than the tax on a target round. Rounds purchased and used at a compliant shooting range would be tax exempt.

If you wish to operate your motor vehicle on a public roadway you need to either have valid insurance or post a bond (in some states) to reimburse a victim should your operation of a motor vehicle cause a loss to another individual or their property. I can agree to personal liability laws and mandatory insurance for each and every gun you wish to own or an umbrella policy that covers all of the guns you wish to own.

If you leave your keys in a vehicle and someone takes your vehicle and causes damage or injury, you are partially responsible for their actions because you failed to secure your vehicle. I can agree to individual liability should you fail to secure your firearms and the weapons end up in the hands of an individual who causes harm to people or property.

If a vehicle is deemed unsafe, there is a set process for forcing the manufacturer to correct that flaw and compensate those who suffered loss as a result of that flaw; it does involve the court system.

This process has guided vehicle manufacturers to constantly improve safety and crash survivability throughout the years. I can agree to a recall process for weapons that have proven unsafe in the hands of too many gun operators.

You are limited to how fast you are allowed to operate a motorized vehicle.

In some limited situations there are no speed limits.

I can go to a race driver fantasy camp and drive a formula one car if I can afford the cost of such an activity. I can agree to restrictions to how fast your weapon can fire live ammunition.

If you are at a designated facility, you should have the right to operate any capacity of gun you wish while under approved supervision.

There has been a significant amount of regulation to reduce the number of deaths as a result of the operation of motor vehicles.

We improve roads to reduce the mortality rate as a result of the operation of motor vehicles.

We restrict access to the operation of motor vehicles to reduce deaths and injuries.

If you're so attached to the car/gun analogy, fine, let's regulate them the same way!

Quoting MiddleAgeMess:

There was an 86 car pileup where I live yesterday, one lady was killed & they had to perform CPR on a child, should we ban cars? It's easier to get a drivers license than a CCP after all.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Joqui:

Apparently two guys were fighting both pulled out guns. 3 people were hurt, one of the shooters got away

This situation was made easier by Texas' lax gun laws. Everyone can own a gun, and you can carry concealed without too much effort legally. This is what happens when everyone is armed, and then they lose their tempers.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course it is, because guns were designed to do maximum destruction in a short amount of time. But logically-thinking people know this. :)

Quoting Momniscient:

And it is much easier to intentionally kill a lot of people in a short amount of time with a gun.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Anything can be made dangerous in the wrong hands, even a pencil. You just hear more about guns because they seem to be the weapon of choice when crimes are committed.

Quoting stormcris:

What about throwing knives, other such knives,axes,and swords? The ones I have were not created for any purpose but defense.

The reason I ask is it seems preception of what is dangerous changes when you speak of knives or guns, do you feel that is true?

Quoting cjsbmom:

I get so tired of this old argument. Cars were not made with the intention of killing people and animals. Guns were. End of story.

Quoting MiddleAgeMess:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Joqui:

Mommy2aboy33
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I heard 3 are wounded, and one had a heartheart attack. I also heard that 2 shooters were involved- ones in custody and the other is MIA.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I kept seeing the kneejerk reaction of pro gun people after Newtown... well in China that one guy attacked kids with a knife! See! Knives are dangerous should we ban them!?!?

Only... none of those Chinese kids are being mourned...

And cars ARE highly regulated. Guns are not as regulated as cars. Ironic considering that this is the argument I keep seeing ad naseum.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Of course it is, because guns were designed to do maximum destruction in a short amount of time. But logically-thinking people know this. :)

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting MiddleAgeMess:

IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh.

Not this s**t again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I love you.

Quoting GLWerth:

With regard to the gun/car analogy, go ahead; let’s regulate guns in the same fashion that we regulate motor vehicles.

Before you can legally operate a motor vehicle you must pass a competence test. I can agree to a competence test before you can operate a gun.

There are proscribed actions that will revoke your ability to legally operate a motor vehicle should you demonstrate an inability to safely operate a vehicle. I can agree to a set process to have your access to guns restricted should you prove to be unsafe with a gun.

If you wish to operate a motor vehicle that is larger than a car (truck) or more maneuverable than a car (motorcycle) you must pass additional tests to legally operate these unique forms of transportation. I can agree to additional tests and checks if you wish to own a larger or faster gun.

Also, operators or larger vehicles such as trucks are held to a higher standard for sobriety and for how long they may legally operate their vehicle. I can agree to restrictions as to when and where you are allowed to operate specialized weapons. I can agree to higher penalties should you be found guilty of operating a weapon while under the influence of legal or illegal drugs. (Legal drugs include alcohol.)

If you wish to legally operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway you must register and pay fees to enjoy that privilege. These are often in the form or registration fees and roadway fuel taxes. I can agree to annual fees and registrations for each and every gun you own. I can also agree to fees and taxes on each individual bullet you wish to own. This could even be in the form of a stamp that could apply to a total number of live shells in your possession. That way when you use them you can transfer your tax stamp to apply to the new ammunition. If you buy enough tax stamps for 1000 shells, that is your personal limit. If you wish to have armor piercing teflon coated cop killers, the tax should be exponentially greater than the tax on a target round. Rounds purchased and used at a compliant shooting range would be tax exempt.

If you wish to operate your motor vehicle on a public roadway you need to either have valid insurance or post a bond (in some states) to reimburse a victim should your operation of a motor vehicle cause a loss to another individual or their property. I can agree to personal liability laws and mandatory insurance for each and every gun you wish to own or an umbrella policy that covers all of the guns you wish to own.

If you leave your keys in a vehicle and someone takes your vehicle and causes damage or injury, you are partially responsible for their actions because you failed to secure your vehicle. I can agree to individual liability should you fail to secure your firearms and the weapons end up in the hands of an individual who causes harm to people or property.

If a vehicle is deemed unsafe, there is a set process for forcing the manufacturer to correct that flaw and compensate those who suffered loss as a result of that flaw; it does involve the court system.

This process has guided vehicle manufacturers to constantly improve safety and crash survivability throughout the years. I can agree to a recall process for weapons that have proven unsafe in the hands of too many gun operators.

You are limited to how fast you are allowed to operate a motorized vehicle.

In some limited situations there are no speed limits.

I can go to a race driver fantasy camp and drive a formula one car if I can afford the cost of such an activity. I can agree to restrictions to how fast your weapon can fire live ammunition.

If you are at a designated facility, you should have the right to operate any capacity of gun you wish while under approved supervision.

There has been a significant amount of regulation to reduce the number of deaths as a result of the operation of motor vehicles.

We improve roads to reduce the mortality rate as a result of the operation of motor vehicles.

We restrict access to the operation of motor vehicles to reduce deaths and injuries.

If you're so attached to the car/gun analogy, fine, let's regulate them the same way!

Quoting MiddleAgeMess:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Joqui:

greenie63
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Wait! Maybe that's why that lady 2 months ago ran a stop sign, hurt me and my son, totaled my car because she purchased a huge weapon! 

Well damn never knew my mini-van is a lethal weapon with the initial purpose of harming or killing people. I wonder though if I could use it to hunt with? 

Quoting MiddleAgeMess:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Joqui:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

When is the last time you heard of two people trying to kill each other with a pencil and then accidentally killing/seriously injuring two other people by pure accident?

Guns are a weapon of choice during crimes because their whole existence is to kill. There is almost nothing else you can do with them.

Anything can be made dangerous. I agree with that. But there are few things designed with the pure intent to kill and completely capable of accidentally killing/seriously injuring others if the handler is off by a few centimeters. Some weapons can hit their target and still kill someone accidentally who was behind the target.

I am not saying we need to take guns away. But to deny they are part of the problem is kind of silly. All one needs to do is look at china that recently had someone stab 22 kids. None of them died.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Guns are not the problem. Crazies and criminals will always get their hands on guns if they want them. Keeping them out of the hands of honest citizens is NOT the solution.

Quoting elliephant:

its refreshing to know that guns are not the problem! (sarcasm)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN