Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kid Sends Perfectly Blunt Cover Letter for Wall Street Internship, and Now Tons of People Are Trying to Hire Him

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

ometimes we get forwarded applications for summer internships on Wall Street that are extremely embarrassing because the applicant is totally full of themselves or completely clueless. 

What happens is the letters go viral and the Street passes them around in long email chains blasting the applicant. They're always funny, but a little bit sad.

That's exactly what we thought was going to happen today when we received this one in our inbox.  It turns that the cover letter originally sent to a boutique investment bank is exactly the opposite.

The cover letter below is unapologetically honest and people on Wall Street are calling it one of the best letters they have seen.  Everyone on the thread agrees the letter shows energy and pluck and honesty.

First, here's the letter...

Business Insider

And now here are some of the responses on a long thread...

continued http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kid-sends-perfectly-blunt-cover-letter-for-wall-street-internship--and-now-tons-of-people-are-trying-to-hire-him-151518002.html

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

His letter was very refreshing to read. I can understand why people would want to hire him.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Very neat.

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I would hire him on the spot. I respect honesty above all qualities.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaySheWillStay
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd hire him in a hot second.

I sent a similar letter to a top professional in my industry when I was 17, trying to get an apprenticeship. I got a response that said something to the tune of, "I appreciate your enthusiasm, but try again when you've gotten some work experience elsewhere."

So I worked my tail off for 4 years, while going to college, and then wrote back and sent a copy of the initial response. I got hired on the spot the second time, purely because I followed through. He said in all his years, he's sent that generic "try again" letter or given it over the phone a hundred times, but only two people besides myself have actually done the work and then asked again. They take it as a rejection and give up, which is exactly what he doesn't want in one of his few students.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

That's awesome!

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

I'd hire him in a hot second.

I sent a similar letter to a top professional in my industry when I was 17, trying to get an apprenticeship. I got a response that said something to the tune of, "I appreciate your enthusiasm, but try again when you've gotten some work experience elsewhere."

So I worked my tail off for 4 years, while going to college, and then wrote back and sent a copy of the initial response. I got hired on the spot the second time, purely because I followed through. He said in all his years, he's sent that generic "try again" letter or given it over the phone a hundred times, but only two people besides myself have actually done the work and then asked again. They take it as a rejection and give up, which is exactly what he doesn't want in one of his few students.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I would hire him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)