Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Despite Obama’s Divisive Speech, Gays and Lesbians Are ‘Treated Like Anyone Under The Law’

Posted by   + Show Post

This year's presidential inauguration was an opportunity for President Obama to unite Americans who have recently been through a particularly difficult and heated election season and set us on a better path, one that would uplift all Americans.

Sadly, the President squandered this opportunity when he chose to proclaim that our journey as a people would not be complete until gay and lesbian people are "treated like anyone under the law," a not-so-veiled reference to his politically-motivated decision to endorse the radical movement to redefine marriage, one of our most sacred institutions.

First of all, gay and lesbian people are already treated equally under the law. They have the same civil rights as everyone else. They're free to live as they choose and love whom they wish.

What they don't have is the right to redefine marriage for society.

Indeed, six federal courts (including the Supreme Court in 1972) have rejected the radical idea that there is a Constitutional right to same-sex marriage under the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause.

Marriage as it has been defined throughout history - as the union of one man and one woman - is a great cause of unity for any culture, including our own. We know all too well what happens to society when marriage breaks down and government interferes with the rights of men and women to come together and form healthy, lifelong marriages.  The President's obsession with redefining marriage has prevented him in his first term from doing anything of substance to support and advance the institution of marriage for the vast majority of Americans. That is where his emphasis should be.

Americans remain united in support of the commonsense definition of marriage. A poll taken after the most recent elections showed that 60% of Americans agree that marriage is between one man and one woman. Twenty percent of Americans in that same poll said marriage was one of their top three issues. The vast majority of states define marriage as the union of husband and wife and the vast majority of Americans who have been given a chance to vote on the question have supported that definition as well.

This spring and summer the Supreme Court will take up Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act. Proposition 8, which Obama opposed, defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman, was approved in 2008 by over seven million California voters. The Defense of Marriage Act was passed overwhelmingly by Congress and signed into law by President Bill Clinton.

source

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Replies (41-50):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Didn't you all (general) prove 'separate but equal' doesn't work? Isn't this the same thing really?

It's just saying 'you can have the same rights (equal), but not the same title (separate)'. The argument seems to be (from the anti side) that 'it's just a name', well if it is just a name, then why not call it marriage? Why do those who want gay marriage have to concede and not those against it?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

But not everyone believes marriage is one of them. IMO this is a title argument not a benefits argument .

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Civil rights should never be up for vote. I get to vote on many things, but civil rights are, rightly, not one if them.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Yes it's filed and yes when we travel I do . I understand your point but we live in the us where everyone gets a vote

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Do you as a hetero couple need to file that paperwork, as well as carry it with you if you leave your state? I'm thinking not. Why should you (general) get to vote on basic civil rights for others? If it's a matter if a vote, what's to stop people from voting to make interracial marriage illegal again?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Legal documents .

Living will and so on.

I live in a state that voted and decided marriage is defined as one man one women if 70% ( example not fact ) voted and decided this then it's unreasonable to believe that there vote shouldn't matter because one man says so . Do I agree with it maybe maybe not . In my state they recognize partners and there are papers that they can file .

Quoting canadianmom1974:

My question if this is something that is left at a state level is, how does it work if a couple is legally married in one state, with all the rights and responsibilities that come with that, what happens when they move to another state where it's not legal? Or even if they're traveling through another state and they're in an accident or become ill? Do they still have the same legal rights as a married couple, or does that not happen because the state they're in doesn't recognise their marriage?

This just seems to me to be something that should be done at a federal level to ensure their rights are protected no matter where in the country they are.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

That he needs to not focus on this as his main issue. when the issues regarding financial issues of this country are so important. I believe if the courts have ruled this should be left at a state level at this time .

Quoting cjsbmom:

Which parts?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

I agree with some of it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I agree with a lot of the replies here.

lga1965
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this
Oh my goodness, Candle ..... another biased post, full of BS.
......wow.
Another anti Obama bash too.
A "twofer ".
It's getting old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM
This! Excellent!

Quoting GLWerth:

Marriage is a social construct and as such, it changes and evolves as society does.

Before 1967, the same arguments that are made today against gay people marrying were made against interracial marriage.

It would ruin the sanctity of marriage! OH NOES! And yet, marriage still exists, even though interracial couples marry. The world did not come to a screeching halt.

I'm in Iowa, gay couples have been marrying for several years and strangely, this has had ZERO impact on my marriage to my husband. No one has forced me to divorce him and marry a woman, no one has forced him to marry a man, the only difference is that the nice women I know in the next town over are now married.

They are also foster parents and have taken in seven kids from the foster care system, older kids who wouldn't have had a chance at a family otherwise. Yeah, that's some evil gay conspiracy, taking care of kids.

People need to just get over their fear of people who are different. Different is not always bad, sometimes it is just different.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm surprised it took so long for the outrage over what he said to be voiced.  

Gay people deserve to be treated as equals under the law.  It's a civil rights issue IMO, not an issue for states to decide.  How does gay people wanting to marry and legitimize their union threaten the unions of heterosexuals?  It doesn't at all, unless you have a very narrow-minded idea of marriage.  And just because this doesn't jibe with your religious views, doesn't mean it's right to discriminate.  Because that's what your post encourages--discrimination of a group of people because YOU don't approve of what they do.  I don't like guns and don't want one, but I support YOUR right to bear arms if you chose to do so.  Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed.

And where in the world did you get that poll?  Overwhelmingly, most Americans under the age of 65 support marriage between two gay people. 

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

gotta love those twofers.  

Quoting lga1965:

Oh my goodness, Candle ..... another biased post, full of BS.
......wow.
Another anti Obama bash too.
A "twofer ".
It's getting old.

afwifeandmommy3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Because they ( people for a different name ) feel that it is not the same thing and unless the definition is changed via vote it should be called something different . It's tomato tamoto. But for some a very real argument . It's not a right in there ( general) opinion . It's a benefit . G/L want the benefits of marriage .

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Didn't you all (general) prove 'separate but equal' doesn't work? Isn't this the same thing really?

It's just saying 'you can have the same rights (equal), but not the same title (separate)'. The argument seems to be (from the anti side) that 'it's just a name', well if it is just a name, then why not call it marriage? Why do those who want gay marriage have to concede and not those against it?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

But not everyone believes marriage is one of them. IMO this is a title argument not a benefits argument .

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Civil rights should never be up for vote. I get to vote on many things, but civil rights are, rightly, not one if them.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Yes it's filed and yes when we travel I do . I understand your point but we live in the us where everyone gets a vote

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Do you as a hetero couple need to file that paperwork, as well as carry it with you if you leave your state? I'm thinking not. Why should you (general) get to vote on basic civil rights for others? If it's a matter if a vote, what's to stop people from voting to make interracial marriage illegal again?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Legal documents .

Living will and so on.

I live in a state that voted and decided marriage is defined as one man one women if 70% ( example not fact ) voted and decided this then it's unreasonable to believe that there vote shouldn't matter because one man says so . Do I agree with it maybe maybe not . In my state they recognize partners and there are papers that they can file .

Quoting canadianmom1974:

My question if this is something that is left at a state level is, how does it work if a couple is legally married in one state, with all the rights and responsibilities that come with that, what happens when they move to another state where it's not legal? Or even if they're traveling through another state and they're in an accident or become ill? Do they still have the same legal rights as a married couple, or does that not happen because the state they're in doesn't recognise their marriage?

This just seems to me to be something that should be done at a federal level to ensure their rights are protected no matter where in the country they are.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

That he needs to not focus on this as his main issue. when the issues regarding financial issues of this country are so important. I believe if the courts have ruled this should be left at a state level at this time .

Quoting cjsbmom:

Which parts?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

I agree with some of it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

It's not as simple as a "title" issue. With that title comes certain legal rights in this country. Without that title, the spouses of same-sex couples do not get those rights. I believe that is an inequity that needs to be corrected. And at a federal level.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

I see your point .
For me it's not . IMO it appears to be a title issue

Quoting cjsbmom:

I think there are many issues he needs to take up, this being one of them. In what order he does it depends on him since he's the president. But I understand what you're saying.

I do not believe this should be a state issue. It's a civil rights issue, IMO.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Which parts?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

I agree with some of it

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Gay and lesbians DO NOT have the same rights as others. You can't fire someone b/c they are black,Asian, etc.. But YOU CAN fire someone b/c their gay. How do you figure that is equal?

LOL at history defining marriage between a man and a woman. If you want to get technical about it the majority of societies in history have defined marriage between a man and MANY women. But that is certainly not the way all societies defined it. For that matter a woman could also have several husbands. Gay marriage was also acceptable in some societies. And besides that what does HISTORY got to do with it anyhow? History also defines a woman as man's property so does that mean we should still treat women that way?

This argument is as ignorant as the arguments used during Interracial marriage in the US. As in the argument that blacks were allowed to marry blacks and whites were allowed to marry whites so they claimed they were treating ppl equal ignoring the fact they were restricting the rights of those who wanted to marry outside their race. 

Jaliyah  My video here

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN