Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'The monster want out': Mentally ill killer amassed huge arsenal, police say

Police say they found Christian Oberender with 13 guns, despite the fact he couldn't legally purchase any.

By Matthew DeLuca, Staff Writer, NBC News

A Minnesota man who killed his mother with a shotgun and who has a history of mental illness managed to amass a personal arsenal in recent years, according to court documents.

In early January, police arrived at the home of Christian Philip Oberender to find the 32 year old in possession of 13 guns, including an AK-47, shotguns, and a Tommy gun, according to a complaint filed in Carver County's 1st Judicial District Court on January 9.

Police say they also found a note from Oberender addressed to his deceased mother in his house, according to the court document.

"I feel the good part of me fade away. I don't know how long I can hold it in for," the note read, according to the court document. "The monster want out. I know what happens when he comes out. He only been out one time and someone die."

Oberender had been adjudicated a delinquent in 1996 for killing his mother, according to the document. He was civilly committed as a "mentally ill and dangerous person" in 1998.

The Carver County Sheriff became interested in Oberender after receiving a tip that he had posted Facebook pictures of himself toting assault weapons and expressed sympathy for the shooters at Columbine High School and in Newtown, Conn., according to the document.

For one community leader, the move by police to seize Oberender's firearms came none too soon.

"The neighbors said they made numerous calls to the sheriff's department that a young man is out shooting a gun in the back yard," local school superintendent David Marlette told NBC affiliate KARE. "I just think it took too long for someone to come and take his guns away."

Oberender was charged with being a felon in possession of firearms, and booked into Carver County jail. He remained there Monday night with bail set at $100,000, according to a Carver County Jail inmate roster.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Oberender obtained a permit in May that allowed him to buy guns through Minnesota dealers.

Custer County Deputy Jason Kamerud told KAREthat Oberender might have been able to buy the guns himself. The convicted killer's name did not show up in a background check through the state's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension database, according to Kamerud.

"When we ran his criminal history, it wasn't indicated that he should not be able to have firearms," Kamerud said.

There was no record because the BCA was never given any information on Oberender, according to officials.

"The BCA relies on entities in the criminal justice system to provide data on an individual which then populates the individual's criminal history," BCA officials said in a statement, according to KARE-TV. "There were no data submitted to the BCA about this individual. Without it there can be no record."

Oberender lived in treatment centers until he was 21, according to a 2003 article by the Associated Press. He then spent a year in a halfway house before being released, according to the article. At the time of his interview with the AP, Oberender said he was working in an auto parts store.

"I saw all kinds of psychologists and got all kinds of treatment," Oberender told the AP. They helped him "manage my behavior and not get angry over stupid stuff," Oberender said at the time.

This debate stills goes on... Well for me it's more of a fact now... things need to change. We have guns in our house. I don't want/think the government should or will take our guns away, but it's obvious that the way we are handling gun rights and who gets them isn't working so great right now. I know criminals will always find away, this guy did the legal way. I just don't understand how he got them I know it didn't show up on his record or whatever but good lord I think that's a problem.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I have read the replies and my question would be on the mentaly ill, what is the defining factor? What illness would knock you out of owning a gun?  

furbabymum
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I suppose. I do think mental illness can take various forms and not just violence. Some people in the throes of a manic episode will clean and arrange things like crazy. Others get violent and hit people. It's a hard thing to say one way or another. I just know that my husband is not a risk to anyone's health, unless you are a raccoon killing our chickens.

Quoting Kokoscold:

Good question

And a tricky one at that.

I think and this is just me I can't speak for the others. If you have a history of mental illiness you shouldn't be able to buy a gun... I know that's unfair to a lot people but I really can't think of another way. I'm open to ideas. It's not a cut dry situation and not everyone's going to like it. 

Quoting furbabymum:

So how do you qualify it? Just wondering. My DH is bipolar and he's an expert marksmen. We have guns. Bipolar is a mental illness and some bipolar's probably shouldn't have guns. So, how do you qualify it?

Quoting Sisteract:

Mental illness is absolutely the worst kind of illness to treat.

Adults have rights- even adults with broken processing systems.

Having a broken processing system leads to poor compliance.

These folks should never have weapons in their possessions or access to such.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kokoscold:

Good question

I think and this is just me I can't speak for the others. If you have a history of mental illiness you shouldn't be able to buy a gun... I know that's unfair to a lot people but I really can't think of another way. I'm open to ideas. It's not a cut dry situation and not everyone's going to like it. 

Quoting furbabymum:

So how do you qualify it? Just wondering. My DH is bipolar and he's an expert marksmen. We have guns. Bipolar is a mental illness and some bipolar's probably shouldn't have guns. So, how do you qualify it?

Quoting Sisteract:

You don't think that people that have OCD or ADHD should have a gun?  What about someone with a phobia of spiders?  An eating disorder would disqualify you as would post-partum depression.  None of these things make people violent.

This is the problem when people start throwing around the word mental illness.  Many disorders fall into this category and those affected are not and will not be violent in any way.  Tossing aside their Constitutional rights is wrong.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Let start with the NFA. Full autos, which is what assault rifles are, are regulated by the NFA. They are not only VERY expensive but the wait to get atf approval IF you can find one and afford it is over a year and you have to meet some VERY strict criteria as well as be put into a national database and the gun cannot be sold without the buyer doing all of the same things you did to get it. That covers full autos and assault rifles. Now standard issue ar-15s and civilian ak-47s are NOT full auto so they are not considered assault rifles. They are civilian issue and semi auto. The only difference in them and any other semiauto rifles is the LOOK. MOST semi auto rifles have larger mags made to be used with them and ars can take small mags so that is a nonissue. None of them shoot any faster than another whether they are wood stock or scary black. The things like pistol grips and collapsible stalks are convenience and preference, they do not change the ability of the gun at all, again it's just looks.

Now to capping ammo purchases. Those who shoot often will tell you that ammo goes fast at the range. It is also not cheap. Buying in bulk makes it far cheaper. Instructors and competition shooters would be stupid to buy it any other way simply because they go through SO much. Many that I know go in together on one huge order to save money on both the ammo(due to bulk) and the shipping. Also buying in bulk online saves sales tax(over 9% in my area). So there are valid reasons for buying in bulk.

Just a few reasons I don't agree with bans.

Quoting Kokoscold:

Oh I agree it's not just about guns anymore...... Our WHOLE thinking on how we handle our mentally ill is sad and needs to be looked at and changed and throw in the prison system as well.

But I don't agree with you on not banning guns. For me I think certain types of guns the public shouldn't have access to. I'm not a gun expert so I'm probably going to be wrong but for me certain types of Autos and SemiAutos shouldn't be available to the public. Also the cap on ammo I'm not apposed to this as well... I don't think Joe Somebody should be able to buy 5000 rounds of bullets(5000 is probably a crazy number anyways... least I hope it is) We too have guns in our home. My husband goes hunting for our winter meat when he wins the State Lotto. I also love to have a gun when we go to our cabin, or fishing, camping, and hiking, but it's not to protect myself from people or shot targets..... I seriously don't wanna be eaten by a bear.

So yes I agree our current system is flawed and we should fix that first but I also think some new regulations should be added in as well.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

The system absolutely needs overhauling, no doubt about that. I feel fixing the issues with the current system is a first step instead of tryig to add all sorts of new stuff when the current stuff isn't even in working order. And BANS are never the fix IMO. The biggest problem I see in this article isn't the gun laws though. This guy should have been locked up forever, period. Convicted murderers being released is a problem in and of itself. The guy who shot and killed the firefighters that he ambushed was a convicted murderer as well. Killed his grandma with a hammer but was released from prison anyway.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

We're supposed to be surprised, in a country where clearly no one is going to have to demonstrate anything to anyone before handing the cash across the table in trade for the weapon of your choice, that people who 'aren't allowed' to buy guns have no difficulty at all in amassing an arsenal?

Sure, that was Michigan... but I didn't have to pass through a single border patrol to get out of that state or any other when I was driving home...via Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington.

First border guard I saw as at Canada. Strangely, they did ask. They, in fact, get really, really excited about guns...

Quoting Kokoscold:

Okay.....?

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or not.... or really what you mean

Quoting LindaClement:

Because guns are just SO hard to buy.

I've been to a swap meet, at a small town festival, where the guns are on the tables (completely assembled, ammo available right beside them) next to Beanie Babies and crocheted toilet lid covers.

Yay, Michigan!

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I think that is for the courts and medical professionals to collaboratively determine.

Remember, life is  sometimes unfair.

Blind people do not get to drive cars etc..

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Sisteract:

Kokoscold
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I understand what your saying the term "mental illiness" is a blanket term many people use. I'm not sure where the line should be drawn.... that's the tricky part. Like I said it's not cut and dry.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Kokoscold:

Good question

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Sisteract:

You don't think that people that have OCD or ADHD should have a gun?  What about someone with a phobia of spiders?  An eating disorder would disqualify you as would post-partum depression.  None of these things make people violent.

This is the problem when people start throwing around the word mental illness.  Many disorders fall into this category and those affected are not and will not be violent in any way.  Tossing aside their Constitutional rights is wrong.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Again, IMO, the "who"should be determined by both the courts and board certified mental health professionals, working collaboratively.

People also need to be able to differentiate between neurological conditions and mental illness, again best left to the professionals AFTER  thorough PEs and MEs have been completed.

Life is not fair people.

The blind do not get to drive cars....

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Kokoscold:

Good question

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Sisteract:

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kokoscold:

I understand what your saying the term "mental illiness" is a blanket term many people use. I'm not sure where the line should be drawn.... that's the tricky part. Like I said it's not cut and dry.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Kokoscold:

Good question

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Sisteract:

It is very tricky and that is why we must not allow people to play loose with it.

I went through a bout of depression when my Grandfather died.  He was the father figure in my life and I took it very hard.  I got some counseling from the psych dept at college...a couple of months of someone just listening to me and helping direct me and I was okay....still my my Grandfather...but I am okay.  I own guns even have a CC...yet I do have a record of being treated.....a slippery slippery slope.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

Again, IMO, the "who"should be determined by both the courts and board certified mental health professionals, working collaboratively.

People also need to be able to differentiate between neurological conditions and mental illness, again best left to the professionals AFTER  thorough PEs and MEs have been completed.

Life is not fair people.

The blind do not get to drive cars....

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Kokoscold:

Good question

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Sisteract:

I am not against certain people not being able to own a weapon.  I just think we have to be careful with the "blanket" instead of differering as you did in your answer.  I think the differing is very important and am glad to see a medical professional insert this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN