Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Need your guns in case you need to rise up against a government? Think again.

Posted by   + Show Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing_Revolution

From 1987, a cycle of mass demonstrations featuring spontaneous singing eventually collected 300,000 Estonians in Tallinn to sing national songs and hymns that were strictly forbidden[citation needed] during the years of the Soviet occupation, as Estonian rock musicians played.

On 14 May 1988, the first expression of national feeling occurred during the Tartu Pop Music Festival. Five patriotic songs were first performed during this festival. People linked their hands together and a tradition had begun.[citation needed]

In June the Old Town Festival was held in Tallinn, and after the official part of the festival, the participants moved to the Song Festival Grounds and similarly started to sing patriotic songs together spontaneously.[citation needed]

On 26–28 August 1988, the Rock Summer Festival was held, and patriotic songs, composed by Alo Mattiisen, were played.[citation needed]

On 11 September 1988, a massive song festival, called "Song of Estonia", was held at the Tallinn Song Festival Arena. This time nearly 300,000 people came together, more than a quarter of all Estonians. On that day political leaders were participating actively, and were for the first time insisting on the restoration of independence.[citation needed]

On 16 November 1988, the legislative body of Estonia issued the Estonian Sovereignty Declaration. In 1990 Estonia had been the first Soviet republic to defy the Soviet army by offering alternative service to Estonian residents scheduled to be drafted. Most Estonians, however, simply began avoiding the draft.[citation needed]

The Singing Revolution lasted over four years, with various protests and acts of defiance. In 1991, as Soviet tanks attempted to stop the progress towards independence, the Estonian Supreme Soviet together with the Congress of Estonia proclaimed the restoration of the independent state of Estonia and repudiated Soviet legislation. People acted as human shields to protect radio and TV stations from the Soviet tanks. Through these actions Estonia regained its independence without any bloodshed.[5] < For the hard of seeing. 

On 22 August 1991, Iceland became the first nation to recognise the newly restored independence of Estonia. Today, a plaque commemorating this event is situated on the outside wall of the Foreign Ministry, which itself is situated on Islandi Väljak 1, or "Iceland Square 1". The plaque reads; "The Republic of Iceland was the first to recognize, on 22 August 1991, the restoration of the independence of the Republic of Estonia", in EstonianIcelandic and English.

Independence was declared on the late evening of August 20, 1991, after an agreement between different political parties was reached. The next morning Soviet troops, according to Estonian TV, attempted to storm Tallinn TV Tower but were not successful.[6] The Communist hardliners' coup attempt failed amid mass pro-democracy demonstrations in Moscow led by Boris Yeltsin.

There's more than one way to overthrow a government. It doesn't have to be violent. 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Replies (101-107):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I don't think you understand the point of what I'm saying. That happens when people just read the post (and sometimes not reading it) and not the responses. 

Where have I talked of treason? I gave an example of a nation of people non violently resisting a government and over turning that government without firing a shot. It's in response to the gun nuts who think their arsenal will protect them if the US government should turn on us. I am only saying that there are other ways to go about it without using any weapons at all. 

As for the rest of what you said, I have some tin foil hats. Would you like one? You seem like one of those people who wear them. 

Quoting Gracesgma:

In a different time, your talk of overthrowing the government would have been considered treason and you would have faced potential prison time or execution.  It is sedition.  As a matter of fact, when the NRA first came into being, the founder heard people talk of using guns to over throw the government and wanted them executed.  Cooler heads prevailed, however.  Good thing those who advocate overthrowing the government live in a country where they have free speech.  If we are truly communistic or fascist, as radicals are prone to spew forth, you would never be allowed that type of speech. I keep wondering how those who hate our country so much that they want to see it destroyed can stand to live here and when we can expect them to be gone.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM

WTF are you babbling about? 

Quoting Gracesgma:

In a different time, your talk of overthrowing the government would have been considered treason and you would have faced potential prison time or execution.  It is sedition.  As a matter of fact, when the NRA first came into being, the founder heard people talk of using guns to over throw the government and wanted them executed.  Cooler heads prevailed, however.  Good thing those who advocate overthrowing the government live in a country where they have free speech.  If we are truly communistic or fascist, as radicals are prone to spew forth, you would never be allowed that type of speech. I keep wondering how those who hate our country so much that they want to see it destroyed can stand to live here and when we can expect them to be gone.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I don't think she understands much of anything at all. maybe singing terrifies her. 

Quoting mehamil1:

I don't think you understand the point of what I'm saying. That happens when people just read the post (and sometimes not reading it) and not the responses. 

Where have I talked of treason? I gave an example of a nation of people non violently resisting a government and over turning that government without firing a shot. It's in response to the gun nuts who think their arsenal will protect them if the US government should turn on us. I am only saying that there are other ways to go about it without using any weapons at all. 

As for the rest of what you said, I have some tin foil hats. Would you like one? You seem like one of those people who wear them. 

Quoting Gracesgma:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I agree, and i think that's a whole post of its own lol

Quoting mehamil1:

Yes. America is acting like an empire. 

Quoting kailu1835:
Well, I meant free as in a separate country, free from English rule :-)

How we became free is very relevant, IMO, because our current government is repeating England's mistakes. I realize a lot of people feel differently, but that's how I feel.

Quoting mehamil1:

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't consider America to be "free" till 1865. That's just my own opinion. Hard to say it's a free country when there were many many people who were enslaved and considered to be property. 

Also, I think how we became "free" has no bearing on what we would do today. 

And finally, non violence only succeeds if a people keep at it, sometimes for years on end. The only way non violent uprisings succeed is if they stay consistantly non violent. So that is the one and only method that can be used. That's the whole purpose of non violence. 

But I'm glad you understand. 

Quoting kailu1835:
Oh, I see what you're saying. I think that non violent measures should be used first, by all means. But considering how we became a free country in the first place, I don't rule out violence as an option, hopefully after other methods have been utilized.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Yeah, singing. Scary. I have no idea where all of that came from. I was like...wait, what? Nothing she said is in relation to what I posted or any of my responses. 

Quoting autodidact:

I don't think she understands much of anything at all. maybe singing terrifies her. 

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Gracesgma:

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM

In history timing is everything.  The same tactic will not work in another country or another time.  The Soviet Union was very weak at this time and Estonia not important to the central party. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

This was just an example. I'm not saying it's a one size fits all. It's just one way of many. 

Quoting BaronSamedi:

In history timing is everything.  The same tactic will not work in another country or another time.  The Soviet Union was very weak at this time and Estonia not important to the central party.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN