Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stepmom Gets 85 Years for ‘Punishing’ 10-Year-Old to Death - Is the symbolism of an 85-year sentence enough if she can get out in 20?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM
  • 30 Replies

Stepmom Gets 85 Years for ‘Punishing’ 10-Year-Old to Death

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 23, 2013

Tina AlbersonIt almost sounds like justice is being served down in Texas this week where a stepmom got 85 years in prison for the dehydration death of her 10-year-old stepson. Tina Alberson denied little Jonathan James water for days on end during a streak of record high temperatures. This was supposed to be punishment for "bad behavior." But does Alberson's punishment really fit the crime here?

Sure, she was sentenced to 85 years for the horrendous treatment and killing of her stepson. But the lengthy prison term has less to do with the horror of the boy's death and more to do with Alberson's existing criminal record -- she once hit someone with her van ... on purpose.

And then there's this disturbing tidbit.

Alberson is expected to be eligible for parole in 20 years. Twenty years. That's less than a quarter of her sentence.

It changes things, doesn't it? We hear 85 years, and we see the amount of time likely stolen away from this little boy.

We hear 20 and we see what, exactly? The 44-year-old has the potential to get out and live a fairly normal life. She could still have a lot of "good" time left in her life, time little Jonathan never got, time his twin brother Joseph will have to spend without him.

We have a dead child here, and the sentence issued to his stepmother comes off as mere lip service to his grieving family when parole comes into play. And Jonathan James didn't just die, he was essentially tortured, denied the very building block of life by a woman who was supposed to care for him as a parent, as a sort of mother (his father, who testified against Alberson, is also facing criminal charges although his case has not yet been completed).

This case screams for some sort of change in the way criminal sentences are carried out in prisons. I don't care if they're afraid of overcrowding or trying to save the taxpayers a dime, a criminal sentence should mean something more than a few words on a piece of paper.

Put yourself in this family's shoes. Is the symbolism of an 85-year prison sentence enough if she can get out in 20?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friendlymom5
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think its bullshit. She should serve 85 years. My mom kidnapped a baby and stabbed the mother. She got 75 years, here it is 20 years later and she is up for parole. I think this is ridiculous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Perhaps, it all depends. The woman who beat her child into a coma in the same state got 99 years and is eligible for parole in 30. Neither woman might ever get out. 

Jynnifer292
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

She murdered him, parole should NEVER be given.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Chance of her being granted parole in Texas is slime, but I think she should have gotten the death penalty

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

She not only murdered him, she did it in a torturous way, and forced his twin brother to witness it. I hope every minute she spends behind bars is as painful as that little boy's last days.

Also, the father deserves just as harsh a punishment. He chose that horrid gash over his child.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM
4 moms liked this

leave the bitch in the desert with no water. 

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

What a fucking tarantula. Hit that bitch where it hurts and starve her.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Why did she get so little time?  She murdered someone!

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Death penalty.

activitymode
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM
She should suffer the same cruel death. Her sentencing was a joke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN