Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Today at school *update in the OP* I called the Principal

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 67 Replies
1 mom liked this

My grandson disobeyed me. 

This Sunday was his ninth birthday and he got to go bow hunting with his grandpa .  He was very excited, a rite of passage of sorts maybe.  He worked hard at following certain rules to earn the trip.

So skip to today, he had art class and drew a picture of him and papa hunting. Only in his picture they were gun hunting not bow :|

He has been told since kindergarten that guns and school do not mix.    He has been told over and over to not draw guns at school.  But thats only half the problem.

His teacher took the drawing  ripped it up and threw it away. 

I am really not digging public school right now. 

I understand that it was an issue and that he should have sopme consequences for his choice but I am very upset that having his art ripped up before him was the right way to handle it.  On the other hand I do not want him to be suspended.

*UPDATE*

I called the Principal for the second time this week ugh!  Last time was over excused absence policy.

Anyhow, I started off, after pleasantries, by asking point blank what policy concerning depiction of firearms in art is.  He said that it was all about his discretion and that he would take issue with particularly graphic or violent art.  I went on to explain that B had gone hunting and drawn a hunting scene in art and what happened.  He was upset for me and B and said he fully agreed with everything I said and that he would deal with it. 

I also learned from B last night that the Art teacher was a sub.  I am guessing she is in pretty big trouble.

I appreciate this principal.  He has always been very open and supportive and very reasonable when B has been in trouble for rough play on the playground.  He is a hunter himself I found out today.

I also shared with him that B has been told and told that guns and school dont mix. He is going to talk with B today and I am confident we are on the same page.

Thank you all for your input.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM

My son is half a year away from Kinder.  He is facinated with guns.  He is neither old enough nor mature enough to have a gun of his own and we are working with him to achieve a set of goals which, I hope, will allow him to achieve an appropriate measure of maturity before he picks up a real gun.  I am **terrified** he will talk about guns, play guns, draw them, any thing about guns at school next year to the point that I'm already talking with him about how there are places where we just don't talk about guns or pretend to play with them.  It is a very difficult lesson to impart to a 5 year old because he simply can't understand, yet, why guns might be considered "bad."  He knows they're used for shooting sports and hunting, that they could be used to hurt people on purpose just doesn't make sense to him.  

A few days ago, someone here commented that we force our children to grow up and confront adult issues by having to have these discussions (about sex, guns, etc) at earlier and earlier ages.  Makes me sad but with the hyper awareness present in schools today, it's absolutely necessary.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM
7 moms liked this

It sounds like an over reaction by the teacher to me...I don't know the policy of your school, but it is worth a discussion. At the very least, the picture should have been saved to show and discuss with you the concerns of the school.

Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM

=( I don't think they should have ripped up the picture. 

I am sorry this happened. I sometimes wish we still lived in an innocent time where we didn't feel the need to take everything so literal. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a fan of the school, for much the same reason you aren't. Thought-police, anyone?

I'd pull him out before they have a chance to suspend him, personally...

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Quoting eema.gray:

My son is half a year away from Kinder.  He is facinated with guns.  He is neither old enough nor mature enough to have a gun of his own and we are working with him to achieve a set of goals which, I hope, will allow him to achieve an appropriate measure of maturity before he picks up a real gun.  I am **terrified** he will talk about guns, play guns, draw them, any thing about guns at school next year to the point that I'm already talking with him about how there are places where we just don't talk about guns or pretend to play with them.  It is a very difficult lesson to impart to a 5 year old because he simply can't understand, yet, why guns might be considered "bad."  He knows they're used for shooting sports and hunting, that they could be used to hurt people on purpose just doesn't make sense to him.  

A few days ago, someone here commented that we force our children to grow up and confront adult issues by having to have these discussions (about sex, guns, etc) at earlier and earlier ages.  Makes me sad but with the hyper awareness present in schools today, it's absolutely necessary.

I have consistantly talked to him about this since early on.

I am very upset with him.  He knew I would be, he walked out of the school head down.

I guess now he knows I was telling him the truth.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty sure this is untrue:

Quoting eema.gray:

we force our children to grow up and confront adult issues by having to have these discussions (about sex, guns, etc) at earlier and earlier ages.  Makes me sad but with the hyper awareness present in schools today, it's absolutely necessary.

100 years ago, all children who lived on or near farms were around guns and death (and sex --at least in the animal kingdom) from their earliest days.

These sanitized, death-free zones we call 'normal childhood' never existed before now. I often wonder why they do, now.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM
4 moms liked this

*sigh* rational examples lead to rational behaviors in children. That was an emotional response that showed that destruction is a proper course of action. 

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I find the person's comments interesting and I am curious as to how that "forces" anyone to grow up.  Perhaps it is a novel idea to some, but one can have children aware of the world around them and still be able to be children. :)

Quoting eema.gray:

eema.gray
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I lived on a small dairy farm until I was almost 8.  I saw cows milked, I saw calves born, I saw dead calves (and a few of their mothers) taken away to the local mink farm.  The AI man was one of my favorite visitors to the farm because he always had a stash of tootsie pops in the back of his vehicle for the children (and I sure did know what AI meant by the time I was 5 or so years old, LOL).  I don't remember my parents ever having to sit down and discuss birth, reproduction, death with me.  Maybe they did and I just don't remember.  But I think, when you live amongst those animals as children, you just kind of understand without ever having to talk about it.

Today, we have to talk with our young children about good touch and bad touch.  We have to teach them about bad people with guns and other weapons.  We have to teach them what to do when someone invades our schools.  Maybe that's not much different from the nuclear drills my mother and husband grew up with in their schools.  Maybe the good/bad touch conversations aren't much different from single gender sex education my mom remembers (girls went to one room, boys to another) but it sure does appear different, more scary, bigger and badder than the way things might have been only a decade or two ago. 

Quoting LindaClement:

I'm pretty sure this is untrue:

Quoting eema.gray:

we force our children to grow up and confront adult issues by having to have these discussions (about sex, guns, etc) at earlier and earlier ages.  Makes me sad but with the hyper awareness present in schools today, it's absolutely necessary.

100 years ago, all children who lived on or near farms were around guns and death (and sex --at least in the animal kingdom) from their earliest days.

These sanitized, death-free zones we call 'normal childhood' never existed before now. I often wonder why they do, now.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM

That is sad that she ripped up his art, sounds to me that he was just excited about going hunting, but I understand where you are coming from, to bad that these objects (guns) are so demonized

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)