Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom...I'm Bored!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
  • 17 Replies
3 moms liked this

I tell my daughter this is a good thing...that being bored is good.

That she is responsible for figuring out a way to entertain her brain, not in front of a screen, but using her brain...Boredom is the catalyst for imagination and that to feel bored is to begin exercising your creative side. Without exercising it, our creativity will atrophy.

It is amazing how well this works for her. Sure she whines and cries for electronics to play a game like all kids of her generation, but those times are strickly limited. Mostly she needs to figure out something else to do.

DD creates books mostly. Some are fantasy, some reflect events in her life, others are research based on whatever thing she is interested in at the time. She writes them and spends hours illustrating them.

Do you see boredom as a positive thing in your house? How do you deal with it?

North West Passage

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Good deal. I always have my kids playing and doing fun activities.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
When my kids whine that they're bored I make them clean their rooms. They've generally learned to figure something out for themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I struggle. Mine are young, though. 4 and 2. I used to spend a majority of y day interacting with my 4 year old but I don't spend nearly as much time with the 2 year old. I think I created a monster with my dd. :sigh:

She never tells me she's bored but she insists that I come play with her. Eventually she will find something to occupy herself. Right now she's teaching her brother how to make playdoh spaghetti.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM
They are too busy to be bored. My oldest dances at school everyday and it's an arts school do lots and lots of creative projects. She also does 5 dance classes a week. So, I have no problem she wants to unwind at night with a little TV

My youngest isn't a big TV watcher. She also dances a lot and she loves jumping. Seriously loves it. We called her Tigger as a baby. So she is usually jumping on her small trampoline. And she loves playing video games.. Again she is so busy she maybe gets a couple of hours a week on them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I had a small playroom (really a sm bedroom) and my 2 dd's could play in there for hours. It was a godsend!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I struggle. Mine are young, though. 4 and 2. I used to spend a majority of y day interacting with my 4 year old but I don't spend nearly as much time with the 2 year old. I think I created a monster with my dd. :sigh:

She never tells me she's bored but she insists that I come play with her. Eventually she will find something to occupy herself. Right now she's teaching her brother how to make playdoh spaghetti.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I am a big one for limiting electronics time.  It never fails that they will whine for 5 minutes and soon after are playing dress up or crafts or a make believe game.  They are happier doing that instead of staring at the "idiot box" as we lovingly call it at our house. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I dont' think its healthy to keep them so busy and entertained that they never get bored! I agree that is when true imagination kicks in. Keep them stocked with stuff they like but don't tell them what to do with it. 

Extra Bonus: Two complaints of being bored earns them a pull from the chore jar...

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

If my son says he's bored or does something stupid as a result of being bored, I have him clean and fold laundry. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. It seems to be that we are losing our ability to handle and embrace a quiet mind because we fill every waking moment with "stuff".

There is a forgotten value in doing absolutely nothing for a little bit.

I am also a huge fan of random daydreaming. As for the part in blue, we keep a clear vinyl shoe shoe case over the activity room door full of "serve yourself" supplies, like this photo I found online...They are invited to do with them what they want.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I dont' think its healthy to keep them so busy and entertained that they never get bored! I agree that is when true imagination kicks in. Keep them stocked with stuff they like but don't tell them what to do with it. 

Extra Bonus: Two complaints of being bored earns them a pull from the chore jar...

North West Passage

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM

DD is never bored. She has two BBFs, this trio can talk for hours! I don't have any idea, how one can talk so much, I would be exhausted!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN