Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I tell my daughter this is a good thing...that being bored is good.

That she is responsible for figuring out a way to entertain her brain, not in front of a screen, but using her brain...Boredom is the catalyst for imagination and that to feel bored is to begin exercising your creative side. Without exercising it, our creativity will atrophy.

It is amazing how well this works for her. Sure she whines and cries for electronics to play a game like all kids of her generation, but those times are strickly limited. Mostly she needs to figure out something else to do.

DD creates books mostly. Some are fantasy, some reflect events in her life, others are research based on whatever thing she is interested in at the time. She writes them and spends hours illustrating them.

Do you see boredom as a positive thing in your house? How do you deal with it?

North West Passage

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Replies (11-17):
AMBG825
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Well she is always welcome to do dishes, sweep the floors, mop, wash windows etc.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I am on my 7th week of school holidays...after the first week the "im bored" kicked in...now they are excited to be going back to school.

I interact with my kids daily as they seem to want my company and if I dont give it to each of them..they annoy the crap out of me.  A game of scrabble, trivia pursuit or general knowledge has them happy for the rest of the day...and I get to give them the company they persist on getting.  I dont know why but dad just doesnt cut it (probably because he cheats)  He takes them to the library or the shops so they can get their outside fix.

My youngest gets lost in fantasy world...hes always out the back fighting dragons or ninja's :-)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I think you've got a pretty cool kid there!

We were an electronics/TV free family while the kids were little---I just bought them lots of craft supplies and filled a cupboard full of artsy things.  They created. 

We didn't get them Nintendos til last year---into their teens, and they do that quite a bit, but my oldest also crochets and makes beaded jewelry and my younger likes adding pages to her fashion scrapbook. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Thanks Poods, I know you and I overlap some on the kid stuff. You are one of the few who really appreciated DD's pet slug! Nice to know we share the craft/art thing too. It is nice that your oldest shares your love of hooking! We love to draw and paint at my house...but DD has also been making stuffed animals and puppets out of sewing felt since she was five. I have never learned to sew past darning a sock, so maybe she can surpass me in this skill.

Sometimes I wish we could go electronics free, but DD is completely addicted to his television. But it is mostly sports and the girls really don't pay attention to it so much.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

We were an electronics/TV free family while the kids were little---I just bought them lots of craft supplies and filled a cupboard full of artsy things.  They created. 

We didn't get them Nintendos til last year---into their teens, and they do that quite a bit, but my oldest also crochets and makes beaded jewelry and my younger likes adding pages to her fashion scrapbook. 

North West Passage

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Quoting NWP:

Thanks Poods, I know you and I overlap some on the kid stuff. You are one of the few who really appreciated DD's pet slug! Nice to know we share the craft/art thing too. It is nice that your oldest shares your love of hooking! We love to draw and paint at my house...but DD has also been making stuffed animals and puppets out of sewing felt since she was five. I have never learned to sew past darning a sock, so maybe she can surpass me in this skill.

Sometimes I wish we could go electronics free, but DD is completely addicted to his television. But it is mostly sports and the girls really don't pay attention to it so much.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

HA!  I remember her slug!  Has she found any more adorable pets since?  ;)

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I don't know if she can beat that one! We moved to the coast so now she is obsessed with the beach and marine life. However, those critters can't come home because they are salt water....so I am safe for now.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

North West Passage

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting NWP:

I don't know if she can beat that one! We moved to the coast so now she is obsessed with the beach and marine life. However, those critters can't come home because they are salt water....so I am safe for now.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

lol.  I'm glad she enjoys that.  I think marine life is cool too.  I like your kiddo.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN