Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Five charged in deadly Philadelphia dungeon case

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

'Shocking': Five charged in deadly Philadelphia dungeon case

By Dave Warner, Reuters PHILADELPHIA --

Five people are accused of imprisoning disabled adults in a dank Philadelphia basement to steal their Social Security checks, a scheme that led to the murders of two of the victims, a federal prosecutor said on Wednesday. Follow @NBCNewsUS Each defendant in the so-called Philadelphia dungeon case faces life in prison, U.S. Attorney Zane David Memeger said at a press conference to unveil the 196-count indictment. The alleged ringleader, Linda Weston, 52, also could face the death penalty because she is charged with two counts of murder in aid of racketeering, Memeger said. The indictment said her actions - chaining captives to a furnace, putting drugs in their food to subdue them and other means - had resulted in the death of two captives. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The conduct here is shocking," Memeger said. The indictment accuses the basement captors of racketeering to steal disability payments from adults with the mental capacity of a 10-year-old. Memeger said the thefts amounted to $212,000 over 10 years. Four of the defendants, including Weston and her daughter, had been charged with state crimes stemming from the scheme. A fifth, Nicklaus Woodward, of West Palm Beach, Fla., was arrested in Florida on Wednesday, Memeger said. It is unclear, Memeger said, whether the original four will still face state as well as federal charges. The malnourished captives were discovered in October 2011 by a landlord during a routine check of the two-story apartment house in the working class Tacony neighborhood. Authorities said two of those held had been imprisoned for roughly 11 years.

WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Wowza

N_maricle
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM
I remember back when they found those poor people. They just now charged them?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM

people are truly vile sometimes.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I remember when this story came out.  I hope those victims are in safe and loving homes now.

Kokoscold
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

This is so disgusting I don't even have anything to say it's just F-ed up

Kokoscold
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

BUMP!

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I read the story on Yahoo about an hour ago.  The depth of some peoples wickedness is staggering.  While was scant on details about the  victims, i hope all of them  are recovering and being well taken care of both physically and mentally.  I should also add that this woman, the ringleader, Linda Weston already had served time for manslaughter some 30 years ago.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Fed-up.  Yep, there seems to be no end to these despicable acts.  They get worse as years go by.

Quoting Kokoscold:

This is so disgusting I don't even have anything to say it's just F-ed up

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. It took them a long time to charge them. I hope that means they took their time creating and iron clad case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kokoscold
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I know I hope that they are getting treatment/help

WTF!! Seriously she already served a manslaughter sentence! Wasn't she on probation? Wonder when she got off?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I read the story on Yahoo about an hour ago.  The depth of some peoples wickedness is staggering.  While was scant on details about the  victims, i hope all of them  are recovering and being well taken care of both physically and mentally.  I should also add that this woman, the ringleader, Linda Weston already had served time for manslaughter some 30 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured