Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's so cold...*share your strategies for dealing*

Posted by   + Show Post

... my feet are still cubes, even with an extra blanket on.

Tomorrow it will feel like -1° here in Philadelphia metro area, with wind chill factored in.

The worst thing about it for me is being stuck inside.

I am pretty intrepidation and will go out in very cold weather, like I did today & earlier this week when it was in the teens. 

But not in high blustery winds AND very cold temps.

So tomorrow I shall try to keep myself busy, so as to ward off cabin fever.

What do you do to pass those times when it's so cold outside you're stuck inside?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Replies (41-50):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Cickem paprikash is on the menu for tonight. If I have the energy to get myself away from underneath the covers- I will make some nokidi too!

Quoting lga1965:

Me too. I baked chicken. After dinner I baked oatmeal cookies. Tonight I'm baking lasagna.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I have been cooking a lot of soups. A soup-a-day. And baking. too. Anything to keep the oven on!

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

ahhhh- I just told dh I wish it were in the 70's. I am living vicariously through you. LOL

It was 9degrees this AM when I dropped the kids off at school. Now it's 23.

Quoting talia-mom:

It will be 74 today.   The windows are open.

I wish we had cold weather.

Then again, I can plant tomatoes in a few weeks.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I actually am doing a lot of baking today because I have a catering job tomorrow night and I like getting much of it done ahead of time.

autiemama516
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I am in Upstate NY and it is about 2 degrees above zero. My dh insists the heat stay at 64 so I am bundled up in my old lady sweats. It works for me.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for all your replies.

I do a lot of baking in the cold as well. Been thinking of oatmeal chocolate chip walnut cookies...mmm! 

And soups & stews are go-to for this kinda cold. 

I'm not necessarily crafty, but I do have this big bag of scraps & old jeans I've been meaning to cut into strips, in the hopes of trying my hand at a braided rug.

I do know how to dress in the cold, but it's breathing the cold air that gets to me when it's this cold...often gives me a touch of asthma, & then it hurts to breathe deeply even when I've been back inside for a while.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM

It's -5 here. We still go outside unless theres a blizzard. Just dress appropriately, bundle up, and go out to have some fun. Take regular breaks to get warm. When we are inside, we keep the heat at 60 at the highest, except for at night in our room because its where the babies crib is and he can't take the cold yet. We just bundle up and drink hot tea.

Cowgirl_Coyote
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Well, last winter when our heater broke my husband and I lit a fire in the fire place, cuddled together with blankets and watching TV together to keep warm. We even invited a couple of the dogs on the couch the keep us all warm because we were all damn cold. Usually it's my basset hound and his St Bernard that enjoy snuggling on the couch. The other three dogs cuddled together on the floor. It was actually pretty romantic (that was before the baby was born and before my husband got a puppy). At bedtime, we turned on space heaters and snuggled with the dogs and cats in the bed. 

The winter before last, when we had the ice storms and our heater in the house broke (which it often does when it gets ridiculously freaking cold) we ended up sleeping in the barn with the dogs at cats because the heater in the barn still worked. 

CafeMom Tickers
MrsGalitz
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Im movng to Mt Carmel, PA from Ft Lauderdale, FL in March. I am so nervous going from a tropical climate to the mountains and snow. My husband got a job there so here we come! Im thinking about just being a snow bird. It is a sunny 75 today!at the beach

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It's very cold. I've been drinking more tea then normal.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

*whistle*

Quoting toomanypoodles:
Quoting Goodwoman614:
Quoting toomanypoodles:

It's pretty cold here, but the past few weeks I have been having horrible hot flashes, so I'm actually keeping the heater off.  My family is layering up their clothes and sitting down with down-filled lap quilts to stay warm, while I sit here half neckid. 

Which half, lol??

sorry...I'm a bit punchy ;)

lol.  I'm covered---but just barely.  ;)

lol....not even.  ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)