Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's so cold...*share your strategies for dealing*

Posted by   + Show Post

... my feet are still cubes, even with an extra blanket on.

Tomorrow it will feel like -1° here in Philadelphia metro area, with wind chill factored in.

The worst thing about it for me is being stuck inside.

I am pretty intrepidation and will go out in very cold weather, like I did today & earlier this week when it was in the teens. 

But not in high blustery winds AND very cold temps.

So tomorrow I shall try to keep myself busy, so as to ward off cabin fever.

What do you do to pass those times when it's so cold outside you're stuck inside?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Replies (51-60):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Brrrrr.  Here in MN we have been in a couple week cold snap (we call it "January") and have had -10 air temps at night.  I turned my heat down to 65 and it's still just cranking 24 hours a day.  Luckily the upstairs is nice and warm.  We will be getting highs in the 20s by the end of the week, it will feel positively balmy.

We just hunker down and dress warm.  We do a lot of puzzles, art projects, etc.  I work all week anyway so I am forced to deal with it either way.  It gets dark by 5:00 anyway, so by the time I get home the day is over.

It's so cold my garage door will not open and I have the added bonus of parking outside.  Luckily my car has started every day this week.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM

lol!

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

I live in Louisiana, that's how I deal with it. :)

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Starting on some cookie baking!!

Warm kitchen!!

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting la_bella_vita:

It's very cold. I've been drinking more tea then normal.

Lol, dd12 & I drink so much green tea during colder months 

that we made up a song... It goes with thetune from the Christmas song "Do You Hear What I Hear," except we bastardized the lyrics. 

Tea makes you have to go potty more, so when one of us makes a run for the bathroom 

we sing out "Do You Pee Like We Pee? From drinking lots of green tea?" etc.

ahh golly. It really is kinda funny. To us. :P

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Basically we just suck it up, complain amongst ourselves, and brag to non Canadians about how hardy we are to handle the cold and snow we have here.

When you've got to work, get kids to school, live life, you just do it. Throw on an extra layer, warm up the vehicle a little longer, have a warm drink, cuddle.

Eh, it's not too bad, next week is Feb and by the end of March the worst of the cold and snow is over, so ... only 2 more months of winter!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Basically we just suck it up, complain amongst ourselves, and brag to non Canadians about how hardy we are to handle the cold and snow we have here.

When you've got to work, get kids to school, live life, you just do it. Throw on an extra layer, warm up the vehicle a little longer, have a warm drink, cuddle.

Eh, it's not too bad, next week is Feb and by the end of March the worst of the cold and snow is over, so ... only 2 more months of winter!

But I hear you Canadians wear fur-lined underwear.

SunFlower700
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I told myself that I'm not going to complain about the freezing cold weather, since last summer was so hot and humid that I couldn't even enjoy summer.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I am so sick and tired of the cold, the snow, the fog, the frozen roads, frozen trees.  All of it. 

It's been a loooooong winter.  And I do realize we have it easy compared to many other places in the country.  

But damn, I'm tired.  I drive home from work, some nights, about 9:30pm. My the time I get home I have a headache from concentrating so deeply on the road, watching where I am going, watching for deer, not hitting ice or slush or some thing else and trying to see through the damn fog.

Once I am home, however, my house is always nice and warm.  Not hot.  Strange, however, considering this old place has baseboard heat.  We have four different heaters, one in the living room, the dining room and the bedrooms.  I have never had to turn the other three on.  The one in the living room works well enough to heat the house.  Granted, this house is not big at all.

Now, my best friend is my electric blanket.  I loooooooooooove it!  If I feel the need, i will bring it out in to the living room and cuddle with it on the couch.  It has two separate settings, for each side.  LOVE IT!  I turn it on about a half hour prior to bed and when I crawl in.........so incredibly comfy.

I really just want to hibernate until Spring.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Born and raised in the Chicago area, and we still go outside.  Maybe on some really windy days, we'll stay in. If we stayed in b/c of the cold, we'd be in a lot of the year!

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Fleece.  I own lots of fleece.  Normally, I am never cold, but thanks to all the sneezers out there, I caught something and have been fighting it all week.  I even sat in front of the TV with fleece and a blanket on. I don't think that has ever happened before.

At my age, I'm my own furnace. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured