Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The No 'Poo Method changed my hair! I've been on this method almost a year, and I am so thankful I kissed shampoo goodbye! I have never loved my hair this much in my whole life. It is smooth, shiny, wavy, and has tons of body. No Poo Method: 1 to 2 tbsp baking soda in a jar of water, shake and pour over roots, then massage scalp well and rinse. Pour ACV/water mixture (1 to 2 tbsp ACV mixed in a bottle of water) over ends, rinse and Voila! I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days on this method. ♥

What do YOU think? Would you try it? Have you tried it?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Replies (71-80):
cjsix
There are many ups and downs through out a marriage and our lives but,if we fight for what we care about most we can make it and find our hearts home <3
Yesterday at 3:02 AM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I don't think the apple cider vinegar was what made your scalp so dry...at least for me it has helped to clear up the eczema I tend to have there.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Instead of thinking of the baking soda/water as a shampoo, think of it as a cleaner for your scalp.  You won't be getting sudsy and that took some getting used to.  After rinsing out the b.s., I used the vinegar, to detangle and and make my hair softer and easier to comb through.  I used it throughout my hair, including my scalp (that may be why my scalp got so dry, I'm not sure).  I'm Caucasian and my hair is moderately to very curly.

I don't know about the color-treated part, though.

Quoting NWP:

So the baking soda mixture goes on the roots and the vinegar mixture on the ends?

Has anyone done this with color treated hair? Does that make a difference?

Quoting FrogSalad:

ACV = Apple cider vinegar.

White vinegar worked better for my hair.  I used approx. 1 T. of vinegar to a cup of water when I used it.  You can increase/decrease the amount of vinegar depending on how it works for you.

Quoting NWP:

I really want to try this...I only wash my hair every three days now because it just isn't very oily and it looks terribly dry after I use shampoo even with heavy conditioners. I color treat and it gets very very dry.

What, exactly is the ACV mixture? What does ACV stand for?

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Your hair looks good in both pix!

I'm like the others that are impatient to get past the oily stage.  I like the idea, though.  I use either Burt's Bees, or one of the 'poos and conditioners they sell at Trader Joe's.  I def do the no chemical thing.

cjsix
There are many ups and downs through out a marriage and our lives but,if we fight for what we care about most we can make it and find our hearts home <3
Yesterday at 3:02 AM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting viv212:

Oh I don't think I can ever do this. I hate the way people's hair smells when they don't wash their hair everyday. No offense. I'll stick with my Biolage.

My hair actually smells really good and I have been doing no poo for about 9mos now. The apple cider vinegar smell goes away as it drys and vinegar is a natural deodorizer,disinfectant and softener. I have heard that some moms add essential oils in a fragrance they like to the vinegar...I haven't but, have though about it and wondered about doing it.

AustynsMommy4
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Bump for later
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

I use coconut oil sometimes to condition my hair but I'm almost out of it now and I'm waiting for my new jar to arrive in the mail.

IDK where you live but I have found that Trader Joe's has the absolute best price on organic coconut oil. It's $5.99 for 16 oz. Cheaper than even the bulk coconut oil on amazon. I have no idea about the permed hair. It would probably be OKAY but you might want to google it! :)

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Quoting little.worthen:

Yea but your hair is curled. Hair naturally looks less frizzy when it's curled. That's why pros say to curl it to hide frizz. The real test would be two straightened pics

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting little.worthen:

your hair looks the same. it just looks like you brightened the picture on the right. you can clearly tell from your skin. lets see legit pics right now with no photo editing and see if we can tell a difference

These are both photos taken by professionals. I apologize if you don't like the brightness of the second photo,... I live in a very cloudy/gray place (WA state) and can't control that aspect of the photos. I guess it was sunnier in the after pic. For myself, the biggest thing I see in the photos is the difference in frizziness. But on a daily basis, living with this method, what I love the most is the body my hair has now, with or without styling. It's hard to capture that in pictures. It is definitely smoother too.

OK here are two pics I just had my 5-year-old take... LOL. I washed my hair this morning and blow dried it until it wasn't too wet to go out then let it air dry. Pulled it back in a twistie all day. This is what I love about the no 'poo method. Even if my hair was back all day, when I take it down it still has so much body. It wasn't like that before. Maybe you'll just have to take my word for it... or not... that's up to you.

little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

yeah i can for sure tell a difference here.

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting little.worthen:

Yea but your hair is curled. Hair naturally looks less frizzy when it's curled. That's why pros say to curl it to hide frizz. The real test would be two straightened pics

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting little.worthen:

your hair looks the same. it just looks like you brightened the picture on the right. you can clearly tell from your skin. lets see legit pics right now with no photo editing and see if we can tell a difference

These are both photos taken by professionals. I apologize if you don't like the brightness of the second photo,... I live in a very cloudy/gray place (WA state) and can't control that aspect of the photos. I guess it was sunnier in the after pic. For myself, the biggest thing I see in the photos is the difference in frizziness. But on a daily basis, living with this method, what I love the most is the body my hair has now, with or without styling. It's hard to capture that in pictures. It is definitely smoother too.

OK here are two pics I just had my 5-year-old take... LOL. I washed my hair this morning and blow dried it until it wasn't too wet to go out then let it air dry. Pulled it back in a twistie all day. This is what I love about the no 'poo method. Even if my hair was back all day, when I take it down it still has so much body. It wasn't like that before. Maybe you'll just have to take my word for it... or not... that's up to you.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I'm not really oily anymore but you bring up this good point.  I also want to know how you get past the smell?  If I don't scrub my head, by day 3, it does not smell good. 

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting wickedfiress:

I have tried twice to do this. I cant get past the "super oily" stage when your body is regulating the lack of need to produce as much oil. I get to day 5 or 6 and I cant stand it anymore.

It took my hair months to adjust... I just used baby powder on oily days as a "dry shampoo", to help stretch the days between washings. But now I just go ahead and wash when it's too oily. Every third day is the usual for me and it seems to work well.

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I think that's why it took me so long to adjust, because I kept trying to stretch out my washings to once a week. When I finally started just washing when I felt I needed to, I became so happy with my hair and happy with the method. I wash every 3 to 4 days. By day 3, I feel like I have dirty hair. But surprisingly it still looks good until day 4. If I have an important date or event but I'm not due for a washing yet (but want my hair to look fresh), I'll wash with a more diluted mixture of baking soda.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'm not really oily anymore but you bring up this good point.  I also want to know how you get past the smell?  If I don't scrub my head, by day 3, it does not smell good. 

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting wickedfiress:

I have tried twice to do this. I cant get past the "super oily" stage when your body is regulating the lack of need to produce as much oil. I get to day 5 or 6 and I cant stand it anymore.

It took my hair months to adjust... I just used baby powder on oily days as a "dry shampoo", to help stretch the days between washings. But now I just go ahead and wash when it's too oily. Every third day is the usual for me and it seems to work well.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Not for me. I love my hair as it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)