Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The No 'Poo Method changed my hair! I've been on this method almost a year, and I am so thankful I kissed shampoo goodbye! I have never loved my hair this much in my whole life. It is smooth, shiny, wavy, and has tons of body. No Poo Method: 1 to 2 tbsp baking soda in a jar of water, shake and pour over roots, then massage scalp well and rinse. Pour ACV/water mixture (1 to 2 tbsp ACV mixed in a bottle of water) over ends, rinse and Voila! I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days on this method. ♥

What do YOU think? Would you try it? Have you tried it?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Replies (91-100):
ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

"it gets smelly by the end of the day, & that's w/ shampooing every day." That's the vicious cycle of shampoo. It strips your hair of its natural oils, causing the scalp to produce more oils to compensate. I used to have to shampoo every day too. Once you stop shampooing, your natural oils begin to balance, and after a transition time, your scalp begins producing less oil.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

No thanks. I have fine, straight hair & really oily skin & scalp, & it gets smelly by the end of the day, & that's w/ shampooing every day.

but it's not damaged, even though I color it...I use daily conditioner on the ends & once a week or so deep condition. My hair looks fine.

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM
2 moms liked this

It actually allows your scalp to properly regulate it oil production. Shampoo strips the oils and conditioner adds them back in and your scalp makes more because of all that. By doing the no poo and getting past the oily stage a few days to a week into it(this lasts anywhere from a couple days to a week or so but,truely isn't too bad...)my hair has become softer,thicker,less breakage and I am losing less hair to the comb or brush. The biggest thing for me though is that I have eczema on my scalp and use to have times where it drove me nuts...I tried Head and Shoulders,T-Gel,Selsun Blue,even Psorisis shampoo and nothing really helped...doing this my scalp is the best it's been in a long time.

Quoting viv212:

Really?? I don't know... I would like to say ill try it but I know I probably never will. What is this method for? What does it repair exactly?

Quoting cjsix:

Quoting viv212:

Oh I don't think I can ever do this. I hate the way people's hair smells when they don't wash their hair everyday. No offense. I'll stick with my Biolage.

My hair actually smells really good and I have been doing no poo for about 9mos now. The apple cider vinegar smell goes away as it drys and vinegar is a natural deodorizer,disinfectant and softener. I have heard that some moms add essential oils in a fragrance they like to the vinegar...I haven't but, have though about it and wondered about doing it.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Um...so, you didnt brush or style your hair in the first one, used a crappy camera, and terrible lighting...

then you use no poo and magically your hair becomes brighter, curlier, and full of life....

i dont buy it. a professional stylist and a professional photographer can do that for ANYONE. no matter WHAT shampoo or 'nopoo' they use. 

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Um...so, you didnt brush or style your hair in the first one, used a crappy camera, and terrible lighting...

then you use no poo and magically your hair becomes brighter, curlier, and full of life....

i dont buy it. a professional stylist and a professional photographer can do that for ANYONE. no matter WHAT shampoo or 'nopoo' they use. 

Actually I did brush and style my hair in the first one. It's used to be horrible to manage my hair. So frizzy and flat! You aren't the first person that critiqued my use of before and after pics. So I had my 5-year old son take pics of my hair tonight. Look a couple pages back. Why would I lie about this method being so effective? What do I have to gain by that? I wish I would have known about it years ago... I'm just sharing how awesome it is with other people who might be receptive. Cafemom is how I found out about it.
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:05 AM
I'm not sure I could do it even though my hair is extremely dry. I have been moving towards much more natural, sulfate free shampoo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I've been wanting to try it for a while. I hate my hair, always have. It looks exactly like your before picture, frizzy an flat.

Did my first "wash" last night...so we will see.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Hmmm.  Back to the drawing board, I guess. 

Quoting cjsix:

I don't think the apple cider vinegar was what made your scalp so dry...at least for me it has helped to clear up the eczema I tend to have there.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Instead of thinking of the baking soda/water as a shampoo, think of it as a cleaner for your scalp.  You won't be getting sudsy and that took some getting used to.  After rinsing out the b.s., I used the vinegar, to detangle and and make my hair softer and easier to comb through.  I used it throughout my hair, including my scalp (that may be why my scalp got so dry, I'm not sure).  I'm Caucasian and my hair is moderately to very curly.

I don't know about the color-treated part, though.

Quoting NWP:

So the baking soda mixture goes on the roots and the vinegar mixture on the ends?

Has anyone done this with color treated hair? Does that make a difference?

Quoting FrogSalad:

ACV = Apple cider vinegar.

White vinegar worked better for my hair.  I used approx. 1 T. of vinegar to a cup of water when I used it.  You can increase/decrease the amount of vinegar depending on how it works for you.

Quoting NWP:

I really want to try this...I only wash my hair every three days now because it just isn't very oily and it looks terribly dry after I use shampoo even with heavy conditioners. I color treat and it gets very very dry.

What, exactly is the ACV mixture? What does ACV stand for?

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Never even considered it! :) Glad its' working for you though!

Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Quoting UpSheRises:

It smells even worse at 5am but it helps you wake up pretty quickly.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I've recently started using baking soda to wash my hair a few times a week but I can't bring myself to use vinegar. The smell of vinegar makes me gag!!

I would throw up, seriously!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Quoting NWP:

I've been wanting to try it for a while. I hate my hair, always have. It looks exactly like your before picture, frizzy an flat.

Did my first "wash" last night...so we will see.

Good luck! I hope no poo works for you, and you can start loving your hair! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN