Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The No 'Poo Method changed my hair! I've been on this method almost a year, and I am so thankful I kissed shampoo goodbye! I have never loved my hair this much in my whole life. It is smooth, shiny, wavy, and has tons of body. No Poo Method: 1 to 2 tbsp baking soda in a jar of water, shake and pour over roots, then massage scalp well and rinse. Pour ACV/water mixture (1 to 2 tbsp ACV mixed in a bottle of water) over ends, rinse and Voila! I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days on this method. ♥

What do YOU think? Would you try it? Have you tried it?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
preemiemommy
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I don't like the smell of vinegar. Idk how well this would work for me:/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I could never.  My hair is long, thick, curly and I have to have conditioner just to be able to brush it.  I couldn't ever go with no product in my hair.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

So the baking soda mixture goes on the roots and the vinegar mixture on the ends?

Has anyone done this with color treated hair? Does that make a difference?

Quoting FrogSalad:

ACV = Apple cider vinegar.

White vinegar worked better for my hair.  I used approx. 1 T. of vinegar to a cup of water when I used it.  You can increase/decrease the amount of vinegar depending on how it works for you.

Quoting NWP:

I really want to try this...I only wash my hair every three days now because it just isn't very oily and it looks terribly dry after I use shampoo even with heavy conditioners. I color treat and it gets very very dry.

What, exactly is the ACV mixture? What does ACV stand for?

North West Passage

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

How many months? Just wondering what I am in for....

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting wickedfiress:

I have tried twice to do this. I cant get past the "super oily" stage when your body is regulating the lack of need to produce as much oil. I get to day 5 or 6 and I cant stand it anymore.

It took my hair months to adjust... I just used baby powder on oily days as a "dry shampoo", to help stretch the days between washings. But now I just go ahead and wash when it's too oily. Every third day is the usual for me and it seems to work well.

North West Passage

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't used shampoo in almost 3 years.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I could never.  My hair is long, thick, curly and I have to have conditioner just to be able to brush it.  I couldn't ever go with no product in my hair.

You can still use conditioner. Just make sure it doesn't contain harmful chemicals. Coconut oil works fine for me, though.

destiny2nv
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
wow it looks really good, Dh would kill me, he HATES vinegar
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Instead of thinking of the baking soda/water as a shampoo, think of it as a cleaner for your scalp.  You won't be getting sudsy and that took some getting used to.  After rinsing out the b.s., I used the vinegar, to detangle and and make my hair softer and easier to comb through.  I used it throughout my hair, including my scalp (that may be why my scalp got so dry, I'm not sure).  I'm Caucasian and my hair is moderately to very curly.

I don't know about the color-treated part, though.

Quoting NWP:

So the baking soda mixture goes on the roots and the vinegar mixture on the ends?

Has anyone done this with color treated hair? Does that make a difference?

Quoting FrogSalad:

ACV = Apple cider vinegar.

White vinegar worked better for my hair.  I used approx. 1 T. of vinegar to a cup of water when I used it.  You can increase/decrease the amount of vinegar depending on how it works for you.

Quoting NWP:

I really want to try this...I only wash my hair every three days now because it just isn't very oily and it looks terribly dry after I use shampoo even with heavy conditioners. I color treat and it gets very very dry.

What, exactly is the ACV mixture? What does ACV stand for?

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

eema.gray
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I did no poo for quite a while, to heal my scalp.  now I just use a quality conditioner 2 or 3 times a week.  :-)

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I would love to try this, my hair is just destroyed and my water is super hard.  My girls have long, thick hair and my youngest has a very dry scalp, I don't think it would work for her.  I really have to glob on the conditioner to get a brush through it.

But I like the smell of freshly shampooed hair...will my head stink?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)