Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The No 'Poo Method changed my hair! I've been on this method almost a year, and I am so thankful I kissed shampoo goodbye! I have never loved my hair this much in my whole life. It is smooth, shiny, wavy, and has tons of body. No Poo Method: 1 to 2 tbsp baking soda in a jar of water, shake and pour over roots, then massage scalp well and rinse. Pour ACV/water mixture (1 to 2 tbsp ACV mixed in a bottle of water) over ends, rinse and Voila! I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days on this method. ♥

What do YOU think? Would you try it? Have you tried it?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Replies (111-120):
kennethsmom910
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I just use a shampoo bar. No conditioner or acv. It has really helped my scalp!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I want to start this. Should I start just washing whenever it gets dirty/greasy? Or should I stretch it out? As of right now with shampoo I don't wash it every day. Maybe every 3 days because it gets too greasy if I wash it everyday. 

I have been wanting to start this since 2008 and but always had one excuse after another, but I'm out of excuses. Now I jsut need advice :)

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

I think that's why it took me so long to adjust, because I kept trying to stretch out my washings to once a week. When I finally started just washing when I felt I needed to, I became so happy with my hair and happy with the method. I wash every 3 to 4 days. By day 3, I feel like I have dirty hair. But surprisingly it still looks good until day 4. If I have an important date or event but I'm not due for a washing yet (but want my hair to look fresh), I'll wash with a more diluted mixture of baking soda.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'm not really oily anymore but you bring up this good point.  I also want to know how you get past the smell?  If I don't scrub my head, by day 3, it does not smell good. 

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting wickedfiress:

I have tried twice to do this. I cant get past the "super oily" stage when your body is regulating the lack of need to produce as much oil. I get to day 5 or 6 and I cant stand it anymore.

It took my hair months to adjust... I just used baby powder on oily days as a "dry shampoo", to help stretch the days between washings. But now I just go ahead and wash when it's too oily. Every third day is the usual for me and it seems to work well.

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I use Bragg's but I went through a period where it was making my hair greasy and I switched to white vinegar. That worked good too. I am back to ACV. I think if you don't have Bragg's but want to start the method, just go ahead and start using whatever vinegar you have. :)

I don't comb it through, I just pour it over my ends and up my hair but NOT my roots, then rinse out immediately.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Do you have to use a good quality ACV, like Bragg's, or would any 'ole ACV do?  Also, do you need to comb the ACV through your hair like you're supposed to with conditioner?

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I just used an empty vitamin e oil bottle. I poured about 1/3 olive oil and filled the rest (but left room) with melted coconut oil. With the room at the top I squeezed in the oil from about 10 vitamin e capsules. The reason for the olive oil was so the coconut oil wouldn't completely solidify. It works great on my hair! I've dabbed some on my eyes and face at night also and woke up with glowing, soft skin. But I'm acne prone so I don't use it on my face every night. One more thing - don't melt the coconut oil in the microwave. Instead, put the jar in a bowl of warm water until some of it has  melted.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Can you buy pre-mixed coconut oil and vitamin E oil or do you have to buy them seperately and mix yourself?  What brand of those do you buy and where do you buy them?

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

OH! I forgot to mention the power of brushing!! I brush my hair really, really good with my head upside down every night before bed and rub coconut oil/vitamin e oil mixture on my ends. When I wake up in the morning, I have movie star hair... tons of body and shine, lots of volume and the roots look clean as a whistle... even on day 3 or 4. If I get too lazy to brush.. I wake up with tangly, stringier and greasier hair and need to wash sooner. Brushing is my biggest tip to lengthen the time between washings! It redistributes the oils.

wink

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

I think that's why it took me so long to adjust, because I kept trying to stretch out my washings to once a week. When I finally started just washing when I felt I needed to, I became so happy with my hair and happy with the method. I wash every 3 to 4 days. By day 3, I feel like I have dirty hair. But surprisingly it still looks good until day 4. If I have an important date or event but I'm not due for a washing yet (but want my hair to look fresh), I'll wash with a more diluted mixture of baking soda.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'm not really oily anymore but you bring up this good point.  I also want to know how you get past the smell?  If I don't scrub my head, by day 3, it does not smell good. 

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting wickedfiress:

I have tried twice to do this. I cant get past the "super oily" stage when your body is regulating the lack of need to produce as much oil. I get to day 5 or 6 and I cant stand it anymore.

It took my hair months to adjust... I just used baby powder on oily days as a "dry shampoo", to help stretch the days between washings. But now I just go ahead and wash when it's too oily. Every third day is the usual for me and it seems to work well.

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

In the beginning maybe try to stretch out the time between washings. I tried to stretch it out to once a week but it was unbearable. So I wash every three or four days. Everybody is different. Just dive in and try it!! The internet is full of information about no poo or you can also PM me with questions. :)

Quoting littlemonaghan:

I want to start this. Should I start just washing whenever it gets dirty/greasy? Or should I stretch it out? As of right now with shampoo I don't wash it every day. Maybe every 3 days because it gets too greasy if I wash it everyday. 

I have been wanting to start this since 2008 and but always had one excuse after another, but I'm out of excuses. Now I jsut need advice :)

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

Quoting wickedfiress:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I have Bragg's.  I just didn't want to use it for my hair if I could get away with generic.  I'm a total cheapskate.  LOL!

Quoting ashers_mommy99:

I use Bragg's but I went through a period where it was making my hair greasy and I switched to white vinegar. That worked good too. I am back to ACV. I think if you don't have Bragg's but want to start the method, just go ahead and start using whatever vinegar you have. :)

I don't comb it through, I just pour it over my ends and up my hair but NOT my roots, then rinse out immediately.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Do you have to use a good quality ACV, like Bragg's, or would any 'ole ACV do?  Also, do you need to comb the ACV through your hair like you're supposed to with conditioner?

amylouu
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I am considering trying the No Poo method but am wondering how using a flat iron will affect my hair while No Pooing? Is there anything I can add to my hair after the shower that can protect it? Also, for those that have a regular work out routine, how does sweating regularly affect the effectiveness of No Poo and do you have to do it more frequently? Thanks!

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I run 3-4 miles every other day. I have to wash my scalp with the no-poo method every 3 days (since I do sweat a lot while running). Heat styling is fine, I've noticed. My hair actually holds curls SOOOOO much better now (even without hairspray or any products). I would dap a tiny bit of vitamin e oil or coconut oil onto the palm of your hands, then use that as a leave-in conditioner on your ends before straightening. Other than that, you should be fine!!

Quoting amylouu:

I am considering trying the No Poo method but am wondering how using a flat iron will affect my hair while No Pooing? Is there anything I can add to my hair after the shower that can protect it? Also, for those that have a regular work out routine, how does sweating regularly affect the effectiveness of No Poo and do you have to do it more frequently? Thanks!

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:03 AM

There's no way to really tell the difference in the photos. The before photo has a dull background & is not really in focus. The after photo has a bright background and the overall photo itself is nice an clear, which would leave the after photo a favorite if one was asked to pick which photo they liked the best. 

As for never shampooing my hair, that ain't gonna happen. I had to serve enough people in my working life who rarely bathed,and the last thing I'd want to do is have any part of my body, hair included, smell like that.   

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:31 AM

OMG my hair doesn't stink at all!!! And the photo comparison has already been criticized in other comments, if you read them you will see that I posted other photos.

Quoting Bonita131:

There's no way to really tell the difference in the photos. The before photo has a dull background & is not really in focus. The after photo has a bright background and the overall photo itself is nice an clear, which would leave the after photo a favorite if one was asked to pick which photo they liked the best. 

As for never shampooing my hair, that ain't gonna happen. I had to serve enough people in my working life who rarely bathed,and the last thing I'd want to do is have any part of my body, hair included, smell like that.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)