Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The No 'Poo Method changed my hair! I've been on this method almost a year, and I am so thankful I kissed shampoo goodbye! I have never loved my hair this much in my whole life. It is smooth, shiny, wavy, and has tons of body. No Poo Method: 1 to 2 tbsp baking soda in a jar of water, shake and pour over roots, then massage scalp well and rinse. Pour ACV/water mixture (1 to 2 tbsp ACV mixed in a bottle of water) over ends, rinse and Voila! I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days on this method. ♥

What do YOU think? Would you try it? Have you tried it?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Replies (181-190):
FrauPineapple
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I want to try this method due to my scalp and hair changing in the last 5 years. I used to only have to shampoo my hair every 3 days...now if I don't do it everyday, it's super oily.

Would the transition be easier of you first went to a sulfate-free or wen type product first?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I just jumped right in and I didn't have any adjustment period.

Quoting FrauPineapple:

I want to try this method due to my scalp and hair changing in the last 5 years. I used to only have to shampoo my hair every 3 days...now if I don't do it everyday, it's super oily.

Would the transition be easier of you first went to a sulfate-free or wen type product first?

Neon Washable Paint

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

How long does the oily hair phase last? That would irritate me. Are you supposed to go days between cleanings or can you clean daily with baking soda and vinegar?

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

How long before you saw a real difference? Did you go thru a long period of the greasies? How often do you clean with the BS/vinegar?

Quoting UpSheRises:

After reading lots of posts about it on CM i tried it.

So gald i did. It was a little bit of an adjustment but i am happy with my hair and happy to cut one more consumer good out of my life.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM

So on your non hair cleaning days, do you just rinse whie in the shower? Do you need to use any ACV or coconut oil on the ends on those days to detangle? I think I read that you cut down on the amount of BS you use in your mixture? I would like to start this soon. 

Quoting NWP:

OK...I started doing this a week ago and have not reached the greasy phase. My hair is super dry, but with shampoo, it does start to get greasy after a few days. I have washed my hair twice using this method in the past 8 days....Has anyone done this and actually skipped a greasy/oily phase? Or does it show up later.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Just started oil pulling with CO and using it to wash my face. Do you apply it to your lashes befor makeup or just at night before sleep?

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting ButterBattle:

I shaved my head recently. I hate my hair when it's long, it's stringy and thing. I'm actually considering trying this since I have almost no hair now.... maybe it would help how my hair is as it grows out?

Coconut Oil Treatment will help the hair grow in healthy and thick. I use it on my eye lashes. I am constantly accused of using that Latisse crap. Nope, just CCO. Good luck!

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Yes, I just use water on the days in between. My hair is extremely dry and I can actually get away with putting it up in the shower the day after I use the BC/ACV wash then rinsing with water the next two days before I have to wash again to keep it fresh. That is where I am at now as far as my washing schedule. I wash it with the BC/ACV anytime it gets oily or just feels dirty.

I do use coconut oil on my ends on the day I use the BC/ACV wash, but just a tiny bit or it looks too oily. I keep it brushed several times a day to help distribute the oils and to avoid tangles. My hair is straight as a board, so I don't have too much of a problem with tangles.

I have cut down on how much BS and ACV I use from the first of the year as it was too drying on the roots and too oily on the ends. It seems to be trial and error for each person on the amounts.

Quoting fireangel5:

So on your non hair cleaning days, do you just rinse whie in the shower? Do you need to use any ACV or coconut oil on the ends on those days to detangle? I think I read that you cut down on the amount of BS you use in your mixture? I would like to start this soon. 

Quoting NWP:

OK...I started doing this a week ago and have not reached the greasy phase. My hair is super dry, but with shampoo, it does start to get greasy after a few days. I have washed my hair twice using this method in the past 8 days....Has anyone done this and actually skipped a greasy/oily phase? Or does it show up later.

Neon Washable Paint

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Great!  I'm gonna give it a shot. Since my hair grew back after chemo, its wavy and I never had wavy hair in my life. I hate the frizz it gets and how tangly it gets. It also came back gray :(  So I have been dying it ever since. I'll have to wait and see how the BS affects the color I guess. 

I use coconut oil now sometimes as a deep conditioning treatment or even just on the ends so I hear you on how oily it can look. I'll play around with ratios and see how it goes!

Quoting NWP:

Yes, I just use water on the days in between. My hair is extremely dry and I can actually get away with putting it up in the shower the day after I use the BC/ACV wash then rinsing with water the next two days before I have to wash again to keep it fresh. That is where I am at now as far as my washing schedule. I wash it with the BC/ACV anytime it gets oily or just feels dirty.

I do use coconut oil on my ends on the day I use the BC/ACV wash, but just a tiny bit or it looks too oily. I keep it brushed several times a day to help distribute the oils and to avoid tangles. My hair is straight as a board, so I don't have too much of a problem with tangles.

I have cut down on how much BS and ACV I use from the first of the year as it was too drying on the roots and too oily on the ends. It seems to be trial and error for each person on the amounts.

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting NWP:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My step dad went through something just like chemo for his heart transplant and lost all his hair. He had thin hair and been balding, but it grew back thick and curly and a different color. LOL.

I color treat my hair and have for over 20 years because I started to go gray in my early 20s. So my hair was damaged and really frizzy looking. I have always hated my hair, the way it looks, feels. But now I am starting to actually like it for the first time in my life. I wish I would have done this 30 years ago!

As for how it worked with my color treatment, it seemed to darken it just a bit, less fading over time and now I look like I have professional highlights. It is actually very nice.

Go for it. You can always go back if it doesn't work for you.

Quoting fireangel5:

Great!  I'm gonna give it a shot. Since my hair grew back after chemo, its wavy and I never had wavy hair in my life. I hate the frizz it gets and how tangly it gets. It also came back gray :(  So I have been dying it ever since. I'll have to wait and see how the BS affects the color I guess. 

I use coconut oil now sometimes as a deep conditioning treatment or even just on the ends so I hear you on how oily it can look. I'll play around with ratios and see how it goes!

Quoting NWP:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting NWP:

Neon Washable Paint

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly, it's just hair. Any changes that I don't like can be reversed! 

It's so weird what these meds can do to your hair lol. I used ot love my hair, now its dryer from coloring and frizzier from the wave.

I'm excited since you and so many others have seemed to have great results!

Quoting NWP:

My step dad went through something just like chemo for his heart transplant and lost all his hair. He had thin hair and been balding, but it grew back thick and curly and a different color. LOL.

I color treat my hair and have for over 20 years because I started to go gray in my early 20s. So my hair was damaged and really frizzy looking. I have always hated my hair, the way it looks, feels. But now I am starting to actually like it for the first time in my life. I wish I would have done this 30 years ago!

As for how it worked with my color treatment, it seemed to darken it just a bit, less fading over time and now I look like I have professional highlights. It is actually very nice.

Go for it. You can always go back if it doesn't work for you.

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting NWP:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN