Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The No 'Poo Method changed my hair! I've been on this method almost a year, and I am so thankful I kissed shampoo goodbye! I have never loved my hair this much in my whole life. It is smooth, shiny, wavy, and has tons of body. No Poo Method: 1 to 2 tbsp baking soda in a jar of water, shake and pour over roots, then massage scalp well and rinse. Pour ACV/water mixture (1 to 2 tbsp ACV mixed in a bottle of water) over ends, rinse and Voila! I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days on this method. ♥

What do YOU think? Would you try it? Have you tried it?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
mommy_madilyn
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM
My hair is super thick. Would I need to increase the amount of bs and acv? My hair gets oily if I skip washes for 3 days (doesn't happen unless I'm sick or something) It will look like I havent showered in a week so I usually wash it every other day at minimum
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

your hair looks the same. it just looks like you brightened the picture on the right. you can clearly tell from your skin. lets see legit pics right now with no photo editing and see if we can tell a difference

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

After reading lots of posts about it on CM i tried it.

So gald i did. It was a little bit of an adjustment but i am happy with my hair and happy to cut one more consumer good out of my life.

Matriarch87
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I did it for several months and didn't see much of a change at all. It was an easy transition for me. I just stopped bc I missed my lather so damn much. I never had the grotesque oily stage peeps are talking about.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommy_madilyn:

My hair is super thick. Would I need to increase the amount of bs and acv? My hair gets oily if I skip washes for 3 days (doesn't happen unless I'm sick or something) It will look like I havent showered in a week so I usually wash it every other day at minimum

Possibly. You can't really follow the guidelines exactly because we're all different. You have to experiment with the ratios to find what works best for you.

You also have to get used to the way it feels, not so much the way it looks. It feels dirty, but it doesn't look dirty. I got used to it after about two weeks.

Autumn19
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM
i want to because every shapoo i use im allergic to. My scalp breaks out really bad and recently my face and back have to. :/ i just want to find something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I could never.  My hair is long, thick, curly and I have to have conditioner just to be able to brush it.  I couldn't ever go with no product in my hair.

You wouldn't have to go with no product. The baking soda and vinegar are the same as the chemicals in your shampoo and conditioner...they just don't have all the other chemicals and additives. The things that make it smell like flowers, lather up well...all the things that make it an easier product to sell.

If you choose to make the switch to basics you'll still be able to de-bride and strip your hair just like you do now. You can add a detangler, like a spray of glycerine & water mixed together...exact same thing as a leave in just without the fancy marketing campaign.

mommy_madilyn
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Thanks. I'm really considering it.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting mommy_madilyn:

Possibly. You can't really follow the guidelines exactly because we're all different. You have to experiment with the ratios to find what works best for you.

You also have to get used to the way it feels, not so much the way it looks. It feels dirty, but it doesn't look dirty. I got used to it after about two weeks.

viv212
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Oh I don't think I can ever do this. I hate the way people's hair smells when they don't wash their hair everyday. No offense. I'll stick with my Biolage.
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Did you find out an answer for the color treated hair?

Quoting NWP:

So the baking soda mixture goes on the roots and the vinegar mixture on the ends?

Has anyone done this with color treated hair? Does that make a difference?

Quoting FrogSalad:

ACV = Apple cider vinegar.

White vinegar worked better for my hair.  I used approx. 1 T. of vinegar to a cup of water when I used it.  You can increase/decrease the amount of vinegar depending on how it works for you.

Quoting NWP:

I really want to try this...I only wash my hair every three days now because it just isn't very oily and it looks terribly dry after I use shampoo even with heavy conditioners. I color treat and it gets very very dry.

What, exactly is the ACV mixture? What does ACV stand for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN