Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Stupidity' led to Texas shooting, sheriff says

'Stupidity' led to Texas shooting, sheriff says

By Matt Smith, CNN
updated 5:46 AM EST, Thu January 24, 2013
Lone Star College freshman Sheketa Taylor embraces her father, Judson Gimblin, after a shooting on the suburban Houston campus Tuesday, January 22. Three people were left wounded on Lone Star's North Harris campus, authorities said, after an apparent argument between two men. Lone Star College freshman Sheketa Taylor embraces her father, Judson Gimblin, after a shooting on the suburban Houston campus Tuesday, January 22. Three people were left wounded on Lone Star's North Harris campus, authorities said, after an apparent argument between two men.
Harris County sheriff's officers work the scene after the January 22 shooting.Harris County sheriff's officers work the scene after the January 22 shooting.
A sheriff's deputy stands guard at the entrance to Lone Star College's North Harris campus on January 22. The campus was put on lockdown following reports of the shooting. A sheriff's deputy stands guard at the entrance to Lone Star College's North Harris campus on January 22. The campus was put on lockdown following reports of the shooting.
Students talk on cell phones and wait after evacuating the campus.Students talk on cell phones and wait after evacuating the campus.
Sheriff's deputies and Houston police stand on the street in front of the campus.Sheriff's deputies and Houston police stand on the street in front of the campus.
Law enforcement secure the area.Law enforcement secure the area.
Students evacuate the area with a sheriff's deputy near the college's North Harris campus. There were more than 10,000 students on the campus at the time of the shooting, spokesman Jed Young said.Students evacuate the area with a sheriff's deputy near the college's North Harris campus. There were more than 10,000 students on the campus at the time of the shooting, spokesman Jed Young said.
A mother joins her son as he evacuates the campus on foot. A mother joins her son as he evacuates the campus on foot.
Law enforcement secures the area near Lone Star College. Authorities were searching for a suspect in a wooded area next to the campus, a law enforcement source said.Law enforcement secures the area near Lone Star College. Authorities were searching for a suspect in a wooded area next to the campus, a law enforcement source said.
HIDE CAPTION
Sheriff blasts "adolescent confrontation" and "stupidity" in Tuesday shooting
  • A 22-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault
  • Investigators are still looking for the gun used in the shooting

(CNN) -- The exact subject of the argument that led to a shooting at a Houston-area community college hadn't been determined Wednesday, but Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia said he had a general idea of the cause.

"Idiocy. Stupidity," Garcia told reporters. "We had individuals who did not care about putting other people in harm's way. It was a ridiculous, adolescent confrontation that occurred. But if we can make an example out of anyone, we will."

Pressed for details, Garcia added, "We're still clearing that up. But a confrontation occurred, and somebody thought, in their peanut-sized brain, that maybe a firearm on a campus would be the way to settle it."

Garcia's blunt assessment came a day after three people were wounded at Lone Star College. One of those shot, 22-year-old Carlton Berry, has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault and remains under guard at a hospital, Garcia said. The other two were still hospitalized as well, he said.

Investigators are still trying to determine whether a second suspect was involved, Garcia said. And he appealed to the public for help in trying to find the weapon used in Tuesday's shooting, which sent hundreds of students running from the suburban campus and swarms of sheriff's deputies, police and firefighters rushing to the scene.

The shooting happened roughly a month after the massacre at a Newtown, Connecticut, elementary school that left 26 dead, including 20 children ages 6 and 7. Garcia said that the situation in Houston "was nothing like" the Newtown killings.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
4 moms liked this
I see a lot of that in Texas.

Quoting romalove:

Stupid and armed, my favorite combination.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

How would the guns being legal have changed the shooting?   It was already illegal to carry them on the campus.

Quoting Bella_Madre:

Meanwhile Texas presses for a law that makes guns on campus perfectly legal.....have I mentioned that I really hate this state?....

tkp003
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My grandmother lives in that area. (shes lived there for 48 years and has no intention of moving even though the area isn't great at all) 

Anyway back to my point it is rumored that it was a two gang members and the gun isn't even legal in the first place. 

Quoting talia-mom:

How would the guns being legal have changed the shooting?   It was already illegal to carry them on the campus.

Quoting Bella_Madre:

Meanwhile Texas presses for a law that makes guns on campus perfectly legal.....have I mentioned that I really hate this state?....

Bella_Madre
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I didn't say it would change the shooting. But I think it's clear that the LAST thing we need is even more idiots on campuses with guns.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Bella_Madre:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

You clearly do not understand people who conceal carry.

Quoting Bella_Madre:

I didn't say it would change the shooting. But I think it's clear that the LAST thing we need is even more idiots on campuses with guns.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Bella_Madre:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

There are things I really love about Texas...The food, the mix of cultures, the independant spirit, the rich history, my relatives and friends....

But I have to agree that currently the wackos are steering the boat...But remember this is the state that gave us Ann Richards, one of the best female politicians to date IMO and Molly Ivins too!

That said, allowing college students to carry weapons on campus is a terrible idea. We forget these young adults are still very much learning how to be mature and handle life away from Mom and Dad. This is a very good example of that.

Quoting Bella_Madre:

North West Passage

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Ugh...You very clearly do not understand the powder keg you wish to release upon our children.

We will NOT agree on this, you and I. We will need to agree to disagree.

Quoting talia-mom:

You clearly do not understand people who conceal carry.

Quoting Bella_Madre:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Bella_Madre:

North West Passage

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If they hadn't been armed, they would have just punched the shit out of each other. 

This didn't have to happen. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

True true, lol.

Quoting romalove:

Stupid and armed, my favorite combination.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, Einstein, the vast majority of shootings contain an element of stupidity. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN