Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Stupidity' led to Texas shooting, sheriff says

'Stupidity' led to Texas shooting, sheriff says

By Matt Smith, CNN
updated 5:46 AM EST, Thu January 24, 2013
Lone Star College freshman Sheketa Taylor embraces her father, Judson Gimblin, after a shooting on the suburban Houston campus Tuesday, January 22. Three people were left wounded on Lone Star's North Harris campus, authorities said, after an apparent argument between two men. Lone Star College freshman Sheketa Taylor embraces her father, Judson Gimblin, after a shooting on the suburban Houston campus Tuesday, January 22. Three people were left wounded on Lone Star's North Harris campus, authorities said, after an apparent argument between two men.
Harris County sheriff's officers work the scene after the January 22 shooting.Harris County sheriff's officers work the scene after the January 22 shooting.
A sheriff's deputy stands guard at the entrance to Lone Star College's North Harris campus on January 22. The campus was put on lockdown following reports of the shooting. A sheriff's deputy stands guard at the entrance to Lone Star College's North Harris campus on January 22. The campus was put on lockdown following reports of the shooting.
Students talk on cell phones and wait after evacuating the campus.Students talk on cell phones and wait after evacuating the campus.
Sheriff's deputies and Houston police stand on the street in front of the campus.Sheriff's deputies and Houston police stand on the street in front of the campus.
Law enforcement secure the area.Law enforcement secure the area.
Students evacuate the area with a sheriff's deputy near the college's North Harris campus. There were more than 10,000 students on the campus at the time of the shooting, spokesman Jed Young said.Students evacuate the area with a sheriff's deputy near the college's North Harris campus. There were more than 10,000 students on the campus at the time of the shooting, spokesman Jed Young said.
A mother joins her son as he evacuates the campus on foot. A mother joins her son as he evacuates the campus on foot.
Law enforcement secures the area near Lone Star College. Authorities were searching for a suspect in a wooded area next to the campus, a law enforcement source said.Law enforcement secures the area near Lone Star College. Authorities were searching for a suspect in a wooded area next to the campus, a law enforcement source said.
HIDE CAPTION
Sheriff blasts "adolescent confrontation" and "stupidity" in Tuesday shooting
  • A 22-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault
  • Investigators are still looking for the gun used in the shooting

(CNN) -- The exact subject of the argument that led to a shooting at a Houston-area community college hadn't been determined Wednesday, but Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia said he had a general idea of the cause.

"Idiocy. Stupidity," Garcia told reporters. "We had individuals who did not care about putting other people in harm's way. It was a ridiculous, adolescent confrontation that occurred. But if we can make an example out of anyone, we will."

Pressed for details, Garcia added, "We're still clearing that up. But a confrontation occurred, and somebody thought, in their peanut-sized brain, that maybe a firearm on a campus would be the way to settle it."

Garcia's blunt assessment came a day after three people were wounded at Lone Star College. One of those shot, 22-year-old Carlton Berry, has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault and remains under guard at a hospital, Garcia said. The other two were still hospitalized as well, he said.

Investigators are still trying to determine whether a second suspect was involved, Garcia said. And he appealed to the public for help in trying to find the weapon used in Tuesday's shooting, which sent hundreds of students running from the suburban campus and swarms of sheriff's deputies, police and firefighters rushing to the scene.

The shooting happened roughly a month after the massacre at a Newtown, Connecticut, elementary school that left 26 dead, including 20 children ages 6 and 7. Garcia said that the situation in Houston "was nothing like" the Newtown killings.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Stupid and armed, my favorite combination.

Exactly, which is why ideas involving arming even more people are stupid.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Why?  I don't know anyone who has ever pulled out a gun because they were pissed off or upset.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Again, not every gun owner is you or your circle of friends- Clearly there are people who have pulled and used weapons- We are talking about those people.

Quoting talia-mom:

Why?  I don't know anyone who has ever pulled out a gun because they were pissed off or upset.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

But that is what the training for concealed carry is for.

Millions of people carry.    99.8% of them aren't shooting people because it's fun or they are angry or they want revenge.

The reality is the people going through the trouble to follow the law aren't committing these crimes.

Quoting Sisteract:

Again, not every gun owner is you or your circle of friends- Clearly there are people who have pulled and used weapons- We are talking about those people.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Training being the operative word.

Training= regulation

ALL gun owners should have to pass muster- physical and mental, in addition to training.

Quoting talia-mom:

Millions of people carry.    99.8% of them aren't shooting people because it's fun or they are angry or they want revenge.

The reality is the people going through the trouble to follow the law aren't committing these crimes.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

You know, this is useless.   You are so blinded by the dislike of guns you will not accept what I have been trying to explain.

Quoting Sisteract:

Training being the operative word.

Training= regulation

ALL gun owners should have to pass muster- physical and mental, in addition to training.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

elliephant
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Look. its a law of averages.

The same percentage of nutty people have always had guns. Or in the words of many here...the same percentage of "people who dont respect human life" have always had guns. But guns have become much more prevelant now than they were before.  Before you had alot less gun owners with a certain percentage of incidents.  As the number of gun owners increases...so too does the incidences.  Its inevitable.  Arming even MORE people...will not lessen the issue..it will exacerbate it.  Most people who own guns are fine.  But....many arent.  We have no real method to predict, prevent and eliminate accessability to the "many who arent" club.  Thats a real issue.

At the end of the day, a nation that really didnt *need* to have guns to protect themselves on a daily basis...has become a nation that is starting to need guns to protect themselves on a daily basis. Why? its become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM

You are actually quite incorrect.

Quoting elliephant:

The same percentage of nutty people have always had guns. Or in the words of many here...the same percentage of "people who dont respect human life" have always had guns. But guns have become much more prevelant now than they were before.  Before you had alot less gun owners with a certain percentage of incidents.  As the number of gun owners increases...so too does the incidences.  Its inevitable.  Arming even MORE people...will not lessen the issue..it will exacerbate it.  Most people who own guns are fine.  But....many arent.  We have no real method to predict, prevent and eliminate accessability to the "many who arent" club.  Thats a real issue.

At the end of the day, a nation that really didnt *need* to have guns to protect themselves on a daily basis...has become a nation that is starting to need guns to protect themselves on a daily basis. Why? its become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

elliephant
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I know the media slants things.  Its true.  But, the thing is, all gun deaths should be reported.  But if they did that the amount of desensitization on the issue....would be quite profound i think. There was an artical that i read and cant find (of course) on gun deaths in the US since Newtown. This is a link i can find on it which i found absolutely appauling. It is NOT a study. It is NOT comprehensive. It is vastly UNder reported.  And it still has this OMG factor for me.  I cant see how any of this is "ok" by gun supporters.

*Clickity click here*

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting.html

Quoting Woodbabe:

What's unnerving is the selective shootings picked up by the media and used for political purpose. Recently I posted links showing that between 30-60 people were shot and killed every weekend this past summer in Chicago but it wasn't worth panic and the need for new gun laws because it was only gang related. Crazy people have been using guns to kill massive amounts of people over the years, but no one cares until its upper middle class kids. THEN suddenly it hits home, strikes a nerve, and makes lawmakers sit up at feel the need to do something about it.

Quoting elliephant:

Yanno woody, i love ya but the problem is, guns + US schools appears to be a more common issue.  Anyone bringing a gun to school AND using it SHOULD be something "blown up" by the media. It should not have that "yawn" attitude that appears to be cropping up by alot of people where it has to apparently fit some sort of criteria before its newsworthy to them.  I dunno, there appears to be a level of acceptance and complacency that is just..unnerving.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Yes it WAS stupid. Even worse was the news media blowing it out of proportion, so fast.

elliephant
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Well then you might want to enlighten the rest of the western world...'cause i gotta tell ya, its working for them.

Quoting talia-mom:

You are actually quite incorrect.

Quoting elliephant:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting romalove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)