Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only drugs

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts on this? 

http://www.kptv.com/story/20662618/bill-proposed-in-oregon-would-make-cigarettes-prescription-only-drugs

SALEM, OR (KPTV) -

If you're a regular smoker, you may want to keep an eye on a new bill in the Oregon Legislature.

Rep. Mitch Greenlick, from Portland, is sponsoring a bill that makes cigarettes a Schedule III controlled substance, meaning it would be illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor's prescription.

Under the proposal, offenders would face maximum punishments of one year in prison, a $6,250 fine or both. 

Other drugs and substances that are considered Schedule III controlled substances are ketamine, lysergic acid and anabolic steroids.

"The State Board of Pharmacy may adopt rules placing requirements and limitations on the sale or transfer of products containing nicotine," the bill's text says.

"I think it's pretty crazy," said Juan Silva of Salem. "I don't see it going through. It's going to be something to watch for, but I don't think it'll pass."

Others see the proposal differently.

"I hope it passes and I hope people actually think about it," said Rick Cannon of Salem. "You know there's less and less smokers everyday because they know how bad it is for them, so I just hope people wake up and realize how bad it actually is for them."

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Replies (21-30):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I could probably get a decent amount of anything that has to be prescribed by a doctor delivered to my house before i get home from work. More logistics on my end than buying them from the store but hey...now i don't have to stop at the store for cigarettes. (I don't smoke though).

It will probably benefit black markets quite a bit. And i know drug dealers are complaining because people are so broke they can't sell as many drugs as they used to so maybe pushing a new product will help those small business owners. 

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Oregon has some idiotic laws for example you cannot pump your own gas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM

caffiene has health benefits as well. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Given some of the stuff Oregon has passed over the last several years I can see this possibly passing.

I think it is ridiculous.  Caffeine is a drug are they going to make soda and coffee only available by prescription? 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM

On the show House, Dr. House prescribed a pack of cigarettes to a man with constipation, lol.

Quoting kailu1835:

I would love to see how any doctor would prescribe this. How is smoking beneficial by any wild stretch of the imagination? It has only harmful affects.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I personally like that one.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Oregon has some idiotic laws for example you cannot pump your own gas.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
kinleysmom11
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I hope this passes

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Not surprised since it's also illegal to pump your own gas there.

editing to add part of me thinks it's a good thing. However, I don't understand why they would give it to you. lol

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Given some of the stuff Oregon has passed over the last several years I can see this possibly passing.

I think it is ridiculous.  Caffeine is a drug are they going to make soda and coffee only available by prescription? 

Yes it does....my morning coffee makes me a much nicer person!  It is also good for headaches.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I think it makes as much sense as leaving doctors in charge of complicated medications...

... handing out oxycontin like candy, it won't hurt the tobacco industry at all...

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM

who'da thunk it? common ground . . . or grounds. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yes it does....my morning coffee makes me a much nicer person!  It is also good for headaches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)