Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only drugs

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts on this? 

http://www.kptv.com/story/20662618/bill-proposed-in-oregon-would-make-cigarettes-prescription-only-drugs

SALEM, OR (KPTV) -

If you're a regular smoker, you may want to keep an eye on a new bill in the Oregon Legislature.

Rep. Mitch Greenlick, from Portland, is sponsoring a bill that makes cigarettes a Schedule III controlled substance, meaning it would be illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor's prescription.

Under the proposal, offenders would face maximum punishments of one year in prison, a $6,250 fine or both. 

Other drugs and substances that are considered Schedule III controlled substances are ketamine, lysergic acid and anabolic steroids.

"The State Board of Pharmacy may adopt rules placing requirements and limitations on the sale or transfer of products containing nicotine," the bill's text says.

"I think it's pretty crazy," said Juan Silva of Salem. "I don't see it going through. It's going to be something to watch for, but I don't think it'll pass."

Others see the proposal differently.

"I hope it passes and I hope people actually think about it," said Rick Cannon of Salem. "You know there's less and less smokers everyday because they know how bad it is for them, so I just hope people wake up and realize how bad it actually is for them."

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Replies (41-50):
1Giovanni
by Becca on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I like that one too. When I was in Flordia I had no clue how to pump my own gas. Thank goodness that my aunt from MN new how. She showed me and I felt so stupid. lol. Now I can say I can pump gas now.  I am 40 years old never pumped my own gas unil this last nov. lol

Quoting Euphoric:

I personally like that one.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Oregon has some idiotic laws for example you cannot pump your own gas.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I don't think it's idiotic.  I hate pumping my own gas and love when they do it in Oregon for me.  Plus, it helps open up the number of jobs available to at least apply for.  Just think about how many gas stations there are.  That's a LOT of people that would be losing their jobs and in this economy, they need it.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Presley77
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Yeah cause we really need more people in jail for effing dumbass shit! Good lawwwd. Nanny state! It's an adults choice if they want to smoke. I hate smoking but I don't try to control what others do with their bodies. SMDH.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Presley77
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Also as an Oregonian for one- good luck with that bill. And two- as a tax payer I do not want to pay for jailing smokers FFS!!!!!
Can't we focus on better laws to jail rapists, murderers and child molesters!?
I mean Portland has a very dangerous known violent stabbing rapist free running around the city right now- how about we make a law to keep him in jail instead of letting him out with a news warning to tell women to beware of him!
Good lawwwdy. Sorry had to go off for a minute there.
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Hmmm, then will they have to raise taxes to cover the shortfall they'll have from collecting no taxes on cigs?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM
You can't in NJ either!

Quoting batmansgirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Given some of the stuff Oregon has passed over the last several years I can see this possibly passing.

I think it is ridiculous.  Caffeine is a drug are they going to make soda and coffee only available by prescription? 

NOOOOO NOT MY COFFEE!!!

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I hope insurance doesn't have to pay for them!

I say make a huge sin tax instead.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

stupid...stupid and really stupid.  A state in the middle of a country where its legal.   Not to mention the amount of money the healthcare providers will reap in doctors appointment fees just to get the prescription.   

Who wastes people's time proposing and putting forward all these dumbass bills?  They should be out of a job!

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Why? Personally I like to pump my own gas and check my oil, fluids, air pressure.

Quoting Euphoric:

I personally like that one.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)