Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Three Teens make A Touching Decision...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Jes
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Three Tennessee homecoming king nominees made a unanimous and touching decision that no matter who won, they would give the crown to a beloved student with a genetic condition.

The teens got together and decided that the winner would turn over the honor to junior Scotty Maloney, who has Williams Syndrome, a neurological disorder that inhibits learning and speech.

"I've been blessed with so many things," Cooper told ABC News' Nashville affiliate WKRN-TV. "I just wanted Scotty to experience something great in his high school days."

"He's always happy, so he deserves some recognition for who he is," Gibbs said.

Cooper won the popular vote for king, but when the official announcement was made at a Friday ceremony, the principal told the crowd what the nominees had decided to do.

"When they called [Scotty's] name, his eyes got really big and I don't know that he registered exactly what was happening. He knew something was," Maloney's teacher Liz Hestle Gassaway told ABCNews.com. "It was very, very emotional."

The crowd erupted with cheers and Maloney got a long standing ovation, WKRN reported, as he was awarded his "King" medal.

"It was just a ton of emotion from everybody," Grissom told WKRN. "I think I saw Scotty shed a few tears. I know Jesse was pretty emotional. We were all emotional out there on the court."

Maloney is a beloved teen in his school and in the community, Gassaway said.

"Scotty is fabulous. He is a superstar. He knows everybody. There's not one person that Scotty does not know," she said. "To know him and meet him is to love him."

Gassaway believes that the nearly 500-student school in Unionville, Tenn., is "one of the best schools in the world when it comes to dealing with special needs children."

Students like Cooper help out in special needs gym classes and other activities. Gassaway said the boys' gesture toward Maloney sent a greater message.

"We want people to have more empathy towards people, not be scared of people with disabilities," she said. "We want them to embrace them, more like the boys did."

Next year Maloney will get to crown the school's new homecoming king. But for now, he is proudly sporting his medal everywhere he goes.

"He's been wearing his medal around," Gassaway said with a laugh. "He is not here today because he had a doctor's appointment, but I'm sure he has his medal on."

Source:
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=18295338
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I had tears in my eyes just reading that...can't imagine what it was like being there and seeing it! I think that was very special, what those guys did...shows they have a big heart!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
They were on the news this morning... Such sweet kids.

Quoting Hippie.Gypsy:

I had tears in my eyes just reading that...can't imagine what it was like being there and seeing it! I think that was very special, what those guys did...shows they have a big heart!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Very cool kids.

kam013
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

This warms my heart.  We used to be in awe of the wonderful things my Nephews classmates would do for him.  So many kids have such empathy, we just have to give them an opportunity to show it.  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM

What an amazing group of kids :)

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

that is wonderful.. what a way to make a very special childs day

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Nice, very nice..love these heart warming stories!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM

*tears*

I'm going to remember this story the next time I hear someone say something about "awful teenagers."

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM

What a story, thank you for sharing!  Makes me feel good about teens....and I have one so I need the reassurance....lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN