Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot??

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot

Posted by Kiri Blakeleyon January 24, 2013 

One mother's decision to go find her pot stash became an unspeakable tragedy that she must regret every moment. Police say that 32-year-old Dalawna Berran-Lett left her 3-year-old twin boys home alone for "20 minutes" while she allegedly ran out to find her teenage daughter, who had apparently taken her marijuana stash, and when she returned, the house was on fire and her babies were dead.

Berran-Lett has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and has buried her twins, Ky’heir and Dy'heir. Reportedly she left them unattended in her Pittsburgh home while she went out to find her teen daughter, and during that time, cops believe the twins tried to cook something and started a fire.

I have no idea how 3-year-olds try to cook something, but I guess it's possible they somehow managed to turn in the stove. Bizarrely, investigators claim that the mom also left her twins alone "for 20 minutes" months ago -- and they also tried to cook something then (ribs) and almost started a fire. How is this possible? Three-year-olds trying to cook ribs? At any rate, if the twins had already once almost started a fire when the mom left them alone, why would she do it again?! Oh, yeah. Pot.

There's a few holes in this story. Hard to believe a mom would make the same mistake twice. Hard to believe the twins are so handy with the cooking. But if it's true, this mom must feel like utter crap.

Should she be charged with involuntary manslaughter for what is essentially a mistake (if she had accidentally run over them in the driveway, chances are she wouldn't be charged with anything)? While I'd like to say the death of her boys is punishment enough, there is really no excuse for leaving your toddlers alone for any length of time -- especially if you've done it before, and there was already a near-disaster before. I do understand that Berran-Lett may not have had the money for a babysitter or been able to get one spur of the moment.

But there comes a time when you choose your kids over your pot. However, I hope she's given some leniency and doesn't spend the rest of her life in jail, because she must realize the enormity of the mistake she made. Especially when you consider that women who deliberately kill their children often get off with much less.

Do you think she should spend her life in prison for a mistake like this?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Yeah she is responsible for their deaths. She deserves jail time. What a crappy excuse for a mom. Those babies deserved way better.
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

She needs to sit on death row..

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a shame when natural selection skips a generation and goes right for the kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
grace1973
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM

By definition, involuntary manslaughter is when there is a loss of life during an act where death is not foreseen.  It doesn't excuse the negligence it just means 'no one saw that coming, but probably should have'.  Yes, I think it is a fair charge.  Two babies gone.  For weed.  Unreal. 

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Why were the children not taken away the first time when momma left them alone for a drug run?   A DCF worker that let her keep her kids after than should be sitting in the jail cell with her. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

That is abuse and neglect. She deserves prison time for her hand in her children's death. Poor things were probably hungry.

lga1965
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM
You're right. This is horrible. That woman needs to go to jail for life
Those poor little kids. And all because of pot. I hope nobody ever says pot is not addictive.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This is why I am for the death penalty.

If these 3 y.o. baies were trying to cook food, that means they are often left to fend for themselves.  They were probably starving and I highly doubt it only happened once before for 20 minutes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I gotta say I have a 2 year old and I can see him burning the house down to cook. He helps me cook almost every night and he absolutely loves it. He knows the stove is a no-no if I'm not with him but if left alone.... I shudder to think.

Anyway, it's true. People who intentionally kill their kids get a lot less time. However the stupidity of what she did has me not feeling sorry for her.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Yes she absolutely deserves to go to jail.
IntactivistMama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
May she rot in Hell.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN