Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot??

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot

Posted by Kiri Blakeleyon January 24, 2013 

One mother's decision to go find her pot stash became an unspeakable tragedy that she must regret every moment. Police say that 32-year-old Dalawna Berran-Lett left her 3-year-old twin boys home alone for "20 minutes" while she allegedly ran out to find her teenage daughter, who had apparently taken her marijuana stash, and when she returned, the house was on fire and her babies were dead.

Berran-Lett has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and has buried her twins, Ky’heir and Dy'heir. Reportedly she left them unattended in her Pittsburgh home while she went out to find her teen daughter, and during that time, cops believe the twins tried to cook something and started a fire.

I have no idea how 3-year-olds try to cook something, but I guess it's possible they somehow managed to turn in the stove. Bizarrely, investigators claim that the mom also left her twins alone "for 20 minutes" months ago -- and they also tried to cook something then (ribs) and almost started a fire. How is this possible? Three-year-olds trying to cook ribs? At any rate, if the twins had already once almost started a fire when the mom left them alone, why would she do it again?! Oh, yeah. Pot.

There's a few holes in this story. Hard to believe a mom would make the same mistake twice. Hard to believe the twins are so handy with the cooking. But if it's true, this mom must feel like utter crap.

Should she be charged with involuntary manslaughter for what is essentially a mistake (if she had accidentally run over them in the driveway, chances are she wouldn't be charged with anything)? While I'd like to say the death of her boys is punishment enough, there is really no excuse for leaving your toddlers alone for any length of time -- especially if you've done it before, and there was already a near-disaster before. I do understand that Berran-Lett may not have had the money for a babysitter or been able to get one spur of the moment.

But there comes a time when you choose your kids over your pot. However, I hope she's given some leniency and doesn't spend the rest of her life in jail, because she must realize the enormity of the mistake she made. Especially when you consider that women who deliberately kill their children often get off with much less.

Do you think she should spend her life in prison for a mistake like this?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
TigOlBitties
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM
3 moms liked this
Please stop trying to make this about pot instead of stupidity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oddy_Knocky
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

That wasn't a mistake - that was being a complete moron who shouldn't have been allowed to breed. 

This story disgusts me. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM

This happened here in Pittsburgh. And yes, she should go to prison for the rest of her damn life. Her kids were more important than chasing after her daughter, who had stolen her pot from her mom's purse.

JTnJT
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Out of the entire article....and this is what you focus on??????? Unbelievable

Quoting radioheid:

Are her kids for real eating popcorn off the floor like dogs?

funlovinlady
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

This happened where I live, she can rot for all I care. Pots not that important

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yep

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

This wasn't a mistake- this was abuse and neglect.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Those babies look like they needed a change... and some real food

any way, YES! Her dumbass left them home alone... 

apixieprincess
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM

She most likely left them more than twice.  I think she deserved the sentence.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

She absolutely should. What kind of mother would do this? Seriously. Over fucking pot. FFS.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

The whole thing is dumb, including the pot. 

Quoting TigOlBitties:

Please stop trying to make this about pot instead of stupidity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN