Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot??

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot

Posted by Kiri Blakeleyon January 24, 2013 

One mother's decision to go find her pot stash became an unspeakable tragedy that she must regret every moment. Police say that 32-year-old Dalawna Berran-Lett left her 3-year-old twin boys home alone for "20 minutes" while she allegedly ran out to find her teenage daughter, who had apparently taken her marijuana stash, and when she returned, the house was on fire and her babies were dead.

Berran-Lett has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and has buried her twins, Ky’heir and Dy'heir. Reportedly she left them unattended in her Pittsburgh home while she went out to find her teen daughter, and during that time, cops believe the twins tried to cook something and started a fire.

I have no idea how 3-year-olds try to cook something, but I guess it's possible they somehow managed to turn in the stove. Bizarrely, investigators claim that the mom also left her twins alone "for 20 minutes" months ago -- and they also tried to cook something then (ribs) and almost started a fire. How is this possible? Three-year-olds trying to cook ribs? At any rate, if the twins had already once almost started a fire when the mom left them alone, why would she do it again?! Oh, yeah. Pot.

There's a few holes in this story. Hard to believe a mom would make the same mistake twice. Hard to believe the twins are so handy with the cooking. But if it's true, this mom must feel like utter crap.

Should she be charged with involuntary manslaughter for what is essentially a mistake (if she had accidentally run over them in the driveway, chances are she wouldn't be charged with anything)? While I'd like to say the death of her boys is punishment enough, there is really no excuse for leaving your toddlers alone for any length of time -- especially if you've done it before, and there was already a near-disaster before. I do understand that Berran-Lett may not have had the money for a babysitter or been able to get one spur of the moment.

But there comes a time when you choose your kids over your pot. However, I hope she's given some leniency and doesn't spend the rest of her life in jail, because she must realize the enormity of the mistake she made. Especially when you consider that women who deliberately kill their children often get off with much less.

Do you think she should spend her life in prison for a mistake like this?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting ArianEponae:

Actually, if this had been the first time she'd left them alone, I'd be more forgiving. It wasn't. Once is a mistake, twice is gross negligence.
Oh, and if you intend to insult a person, try to get a better grasp of the language. You sound ridiculous.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

Nope. Tree, rope, knot...no more taxes spent keeping these criminals alive

Wow.  People who feel this way, they are no batter than those they wish to hang up in the nearest tree.

You are the one who has no issue with hanging someone from a tree and you call me ridiculous.

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while.

I said nothing about forgiveness.  

ArianEponae
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Hanging is still a practiced form of the death penalty. Granted, only in two states.
I said forgiving because I meant exactly that. A mistake shouldn't be punished by death, but this wasn't a mistake. This woman put her pot before the safety of her toddlers. Hanging her would be a great way to send a message. Of course, if it weren't illegal I'd say burn her at the stake. That'd be more in line with what she did to those babies.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

Actually, if this had been the first time she'd left them alone, I'd be more forgiving. It wasn't. Once is a mistake, twice is gross negligence.

Oh, and if you intend to insult a person, try to get a better grasp of the language. You sound ridiculous.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

Wow.  People who feel this way, they are no batter than those they wish to hang up in the nearest tree.

You are the one who has no issue with hanging someone from a tree and you call me ridiculous.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Quoting ArianEponae:

Hanging is still a practiced form of the death penalty. Granted, only in two states.
I said forgiving because I meant exactly that. A mistake shouldn't be punished by death, but this wasn't a mistake. This woman put her pot before the safety of her toddlers. Hanging her would be a great way to send a message. Of course, if it weren't illegal I'd say burn her at the stake. That'd be more in line with what she did to those babies.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

I do not support any form of the Death Penalty.  I used to.  Until I witnessed an execution.

I cannot lower myself any where near the level of those who have made their way on to death row.

ArianEponae
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Well, it seems to me that we disagree. You won't be able to change my mind, as I won't nd able to change yours.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ArianEponae:

I do not support any form of the Death Penalty.  I used to.  Until I witnessed an execution.

I cannot lower myself any where near the level of those who have made their way on to death row.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

The fact that they "almost set the house on fire" before has me suspicious to the fact that this was probably no accident or just neglect. I would think it sounds a lot like she purposefully tried to "accidentally" kill her babies once before and she finally succeeded.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Look, if it hadn't been trying to get her marijuana back from her daughter, it would have been something else. This is just about a mother simply neglecting her children. The marijuana was just an excuse. She does deserve jail time though. Death penalty? No. Let's save that for those that purposely hurt children, such as pedophiles and abusive parents.

AdellesMom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Pot isn't more important than your kids. People have fucked up priorities!! I have a three year old, and she doesn't know how to work a stove. So sad.
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM

It shows that these children were neglected and deperate enough to be eating popcorn off the floor. A normal home would not have this situation. Kids don't eat popcorn off the floor unless their Mom is too stoned to take care of them.

Are you just in a bad mood or feeling superior ?

Quoting JTnJT:

Out of the entire article....and this is what you focus on??????? Unbelievable

Quoting radioheid:

Are her kids for real eating popcorn off the floor like dogs?

circle_of_life
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If it hadn't been pot it would have been something else. Most pot smokers in their right mind would not do something like this. She was a crappy mom, pot or no pot.

Quoting lga1965:

You're right. This is horrible. That woman needs to go to jail for life
Those poor little kids. And all because of pot. I hope nobody ever says pot is not addictive.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This is why I am for the death penalty.

If these 3 y.o. baies were trying to cook food, that means they are often left to fend for themselves.  They were probably starving and I highly doubt it only happened once before for 20 minutes.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM
She deserves to burn to death in a fire. Worthless cunt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured