Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot??

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot

Posted by Kiri Blakeleyon January 24, 2013 

One mother's decision to go find her pot stash became an unspeakable tragedy that she must regret every moment. Police say that 32-year-old Dalawna Berran-Lett left her 3-year-old twin boys home alone for "20 minutes" while she allegedly ran out to find her teenage daughter, who had apparently taken her marijuana stash, and when she returned, the house was on fire and her babies were dead.

Berran-Lett has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and has buried her twins, Ky’heir and Dy'heir. Reportedly she left them unattended in her Pittsburgh home while she went out to find her teen daughter, and during that time, cops believe the twins tried to cook something and started a fire.

I have no idea how 3-year-olds try to cook something, but I guess it's possible they somehow managed to turn in the stove. Bizarrely, investigators claim that the mom also left her twins alone "for 20 minutes" months ago -- and they also tried to cook something then (ribs) and almost started a fire. How is this possible? Three-year-olds trying to cook ribs? At any rate, if the twins had already once almost started a fire when the mom left them alone, why would she do it again?! Oh, yeah. Pot.

There's a few holes in this story. Hard to believe a mom would make the same mistake twice. Hard to believe the twins are so handy with the cooking. But if it's true, this mom must feel like utter crap.

Should she be charged with involuntary manslaughter for what is essentially a mistake (if she had accidentally run over them in the driveway, chances are she wouldn't be charged with anything)? While I'd like to say the death of her boys is punishment enough, there is really no excuse for leaving your toddlers alone for any length of time -- especially if you've done it before, and there was already a near-disaster before. I do understand that Berran-Lett may not have had the money for a babysitter or been able to get one spur of the moment.

But there comes a time when you choose your kids over your pot. However, I hope she's given some leniency and doesn't spend the rest of her life in jail, because she must realize the enormity of the mistake she made. Especially when you consider that women who deliberately kill their children often get off with much less.

Do you think she should spend her life in prison for a mistake like this?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (51-60):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Eh, not really. My 2 year old doesnt like plates. If I give her a snack sized bag of chips, she automatically dumps it on the floor. We have no pets and I clean the floors daily.

However I do agree that this mom was a piece of shit for leaving her children alone. She deserves a slow painful death

Quoting lga1965:

It shows that these children were neglected and deperate enough to be eating popcorn off the floor. A normal home would not have this situation. Kids don't eat popcorn off the floor unless their Mom is too stoned to take care of them.

Are you just in a bad mood or feeling superior ?

Quoting JTnJT:

Out of the entire article....and this is what you focus on??????? Unbelievable

Quoting radioheid:

Are her kids for real eating popcorn off the floor like dogs?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's not get crazy. My daughter will swoop in and eat all sorts of stuff off the floor if I don't move fast enough. And she's 5. Kids do eat stuff off the floor, even in normal homes. However, 3 year olds don't normally try to cook for themselves in normal homes.

Quoting lga1965:

It shows that these children were neglected and deperate enough to be eating popcorn off the floor. A normal home would not have this situation. Kids don't eat popcorn off the floor unless their Mom is too stoned to take care of them.

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM

no, it shows a kid with a handful of popcorn and some on the floor underneath it. which of course NEVER happens in responsible households. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

JTnJT
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Wow...maybe you should ask yourself that question.  How was what I said construed into...I must think I'm superior...or even that I was in a bad mood?????   I was simply fascinated that out of an entire article that was the one thing that stuck with that particular poster....I wasn't being disrespectful....I was simply stating how unbelievable to me it was that that one thing was what stood out for her....somewhere on this thread is another post in which I explain my fascination with how different people absorb things differently.

As for the popcorn on the floor....I agree that floor looks gross, and I would not let my children eat off of it...however to say that a child "never" eats food off the floor....is stretching it a bit in my perspective....I have 3...and I have caught every last one of them eating things off the floor...they are reprimanded and told how gross mama thinks that is....but to say it isn't normal or that the act itself is a sign of neglect....I think is pushing it...

Before anyone makes a snide comment...my carpets get vacuumed everyday...I sweep my hardwood and linoleum everyday...they get mopped every other day....unless there is a huge spill and it's just easier to re-mop....

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

stacefaceninja
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM
First of all....I want to say that "pot" didn't cause this. A selfish, ignorant piece of shit excuse for a mother did this.
Marijuana alone doesn't cause someone to up and leave their children. Yes..there are plenty of shitty parents that smoke pot. There's also a lot of great ones.
I hope this bitch rots in prison. I hope the ladies in her cell block make her "welcoming party" extra warm and fuzzy...just for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacefaceninja
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM
*smirking

Quoting autodidact:

no, it shows a kid with a handful of popcorn and some on the floor underneath it. which of course NEVER happens in responsible households. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

stacefaceninja
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Um. Not everyone who smokes marijuana is a complete idiot like this woman. No one I have evr known..including myself...puts weed before the well-being of their family. Marijuana is not like crack people. Jesus.

Quoting lga1965:

You're right. This is horrible. That woman needs to go to jail for life

Those poor little kids. And all because of pot. I hope nobody ever says pot is not addictive.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This is why I am for the death penalty.

If these 3 y.o. baies were trying to cook food, that means they are often left to fend for themselves.  They were probably starving and I highly doubt it only happened once before for 20 minutes.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM

If there was popcorn on the floor at our house, the kids weren't eating it and we would be picking it up before they could. LOOK at that pictire. You can even see how full the kids' diapers are besides sitting on the floor with their popcorn snack....the whole thing is sleazy and abusive. Or is that how your kids look...full diapers, eating on the floor?

Don't defend that so-called "mom".SHe isn't...she's a neglectful, abusive monster.Just because she popped them out of her womb it doesn't make her a Mom.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Yeah well...you COULD tell your kid that she eats off a plate and doesn't strew her snacks all over the place. Kids have to be shown how to behave like civilized human beings and not allowed to do what they want just because "they don't like plates". You can vacuum all day long and it still doesn't mean its okay. Its not.

These poor little kids sitting on the floor didn't just happen to see a couple of popcorn kernels and stop by to pick it up. They are comfortably seated next to each other eating ....it was probably a meal for them , seeing as how later they were trying to cook something for themselves ( being tired of popcorn ) when Mom was out searching for a stash. PLEASE don't defend this MOM. SHe wasn't a MOM.she was a failure.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Eh, not really. My 2 year old doesnt like plates. If I give her a snack sized bag of chips, she automatically dumps it on the floor. We have no pets and I clean the floors daily.

However I do agree that this mom was a piece of shit for leaving her children alone. She deserves a slow painful death

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

lisajo76
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
This is tragic. I won't leave my children home alone at all, for any reason. Those poor babies :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured