Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot??

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Charged for Twins’ Deaths After Reportedly Leaving Them Alone to Get Pot

Posted by Kiri Blakeleyon January 24, 2013 

One mother's decision to go find her pot stash became an unspeakable tragedy that she must regret every moment. Police say that 32-year-old Dalawna Berran-Lett left her 3-year-old twin boys home alone for "20 minutes" while she allegedly ran out to find her teenage daughter, who had apparently taken her marijuana stash, and when she returned, the house was on fire and her babies were dead.

Berran-Lett has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and has buried her twins, Ky’heir and Dy'heir. Reportedly she left them unattended in her Pittsburgh home while she went out to find her teen daughter, and during that time, cops believe the twins tried to cook something and started a fire.

I have no idea how 3-year-olds try to cook something, but I guess it's possible they somehow managed to turn in the stove. Bizarrely, investigators claim that the mom also left her twins alone "for 20 minutes" months ago -- and they also tried to cook something then (ribs) and almost started a fire. How is this possible? Three-year-olds trying to cook ribs? At any rate, if the twins had already once almost started a fire when the mom left them alone, why would she do it again?! Oh, yeah. Pot.

There's a few holes in this story. Hard to believe a mom would make the same mistake twice. Hard to believe the twins are so handy with the cooking. But if it's true, this mom must feel like utter crap.

Should she be charged with involuntary manslaughter for what is essentially a mistake (if she had accidentally run over them in the driveway, chances are she wouldn't be charged with anything)? While I'd like to say the death of her boys is punishment enough, there is really no excuse for leaving your toddlers alone for any length of time -- especially if you've done it before, and there was already a near-disaster before. I do understand that Berran-Lett may not have had the money for a babysitter or been able to get one spur of the moment.

But there comes a time when you choose your kids over your pot. However, I hope she's given some leniency and doesn't spend the rest of her life in jail, because she must realize the enormity of the mistake she made. Especially when you consider that women who deliberately kill their children often get off with much less.

Do you think she should spend her life in prison for a mistake like this?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (61-67):
MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this
She needs to rot in jail. Child you imagine the fear and pain those kids went through? She needs to die in jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Cool.  How about you come to my fucking house and tell my autistic 2 year old that she HAS to eat off of a plate?

Between her 100000 sensory issues which includes her not wanting to reach into bags/boxes, I will pick my battles, if she wants to put her chips/cheerios/crackers on my clean floor for 5 minutes while she has her snack, that is perfectly acceptable.  We eat meals at the table, if she wants to sit on the floor and eat her snacks off the floor while she does a puzzle or plays with her ipad, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

For these specific kids in the OP, im sure the floor was dirty and that they found the popcorn in the bottom of a damn pantry...So sure, it isn't ok in that situation...However a kid eating something they themself have put on the clean floor of their home, there is nothing wrong with that, it isn't abuse, it isn't neglect.  It's a kid being a kid.

Quoting lga1965:

Yeah well...you COULD tell your kid that she eats off a plate and doesn't strew her snacks all over the place. Kids have to be shown how to behave like civilized human beings and not allowed to do what they want just because "they don't like plates". You can vacuum all day long and it still doesn't mean its okay. Its not.

These poor little kids sitting on the floor didn't just happen to see a couple of popcorn kernels and stop by to pick it up. They are comfortably seated next to each other eating ....it was probably a meal for them , seeing as how later they were trying to cook something for themselves ( being tired of popcorn ) when Mom was out searching for a stash. PLEASE don't defend this MOM. SHe wasn't a MOM.she was a failure.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Eh, not really. My 2 year old doesnt like plates. If I give her a snack sized bag of chips, she automatically dumps it on the floor. We have no pets and I clean the floors daily.

However I do agree that this mom was a piece of shit for leaving her children alone. She deserves a slow painful death

Quoting lga1965:

It shows that these children were neglected and deperate enough to be eating popcorn off the floor. A normal home would not have this situation. Kids don't eat popcorn off the floor unless their Mom is too stoned to take care of them.

Are you just in a bad mood or feeling superior ?

Quoting JTnJT:

Out of the entire article....and this is what you focus on??????? Unbelievable

Quoting radioheid:

Are her kids for real eating popcorn off the floor like dogs?

lga1965
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Oh yeah, since I can read your mind  and know all about your kid....how COULD I have disagreed with you???Shame on me

:LISTEN , I DON"T read minds so lay off,okay?

ANd people--experts in the field of Autism- have said that autistic kids can be trained and taught too...so that's an excuse.

I have nothing further to say and I would prefer that you not reply.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Cool.  How about you come to my fucking house and tell my autistic 2 year old that she HAS to eat off of a plate?

Between her 100000 sensory issues which includes her not wanting to reach into bags/boxes, I will pick my battles, if she wants to put her chips/cheerios/crackers on my clean floor for 5 minutes while she has her snack, that is perfectly acceptable.  We eat meals at the table, if she wants to sit on the floor and eat her snacks off the floor while she does a puzzle or plays with her ipad, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

For these specific kids in the OP, im sure the floor was dirty and that they found the popcorn in the bottom of a damn pantry...So sure, it isn't ok in that situation...However a kid eating something they themself have put on the clean floor of their home, there is nothing wrong with that, it isn't abuse, it isn't neglect.  It's a kid being a kid.

Quoting lga1965:

Yeah well...you COULD tell your kid that she eats off a plate and doesn't strew her snacks all over the place. Kids have to be shown how to behave like civilized human beings and not allowed to do what they want just because "they don't like plates". You can vacuum all day long and it still doesn't mean its okay. Its not.

These poor little kids sitting on the floor didn't just happen to see a couple of popcorn kernels and stop by to pick it up. They are comfortably seated next to each other eating ....it was probably a meal for them , seeing as how later they were trying to cook something for themselves ( being tired of popcorn ) when Mom was out searching for a stash. PLEASE don't defend this MOM. SHe wasn't a MOM.she was a failure.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Eh, not really. My 2 year old doesnt like plates. If I give her a snack sized bag of chips, she automatically dumps it on the floor. We have no pets and I clean the floors daily.

However I do agree that this mom was a piece of shit for leaving her children alone. She deserves a slow painful death

Quoting lga1965:

It shows that these children were neglected and deperate enough to be eating popcorn off the floor. A normal home would not have this situation. Kids don't eat popcorn off the floor unless their Mom is too stoned to take care of them.

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

‎"I've long known rage was a life saver. I learned it from my mentor Rush Limbaugh, because every time you look at him you gotta ask, 'How is he still alive?'" -- Stephen Colbert
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Too bad, I'm going to reply.

Bottom line is, a kid putting their own crackers/chips on the floor while they are sitting there playing, isn't a big damn deal in the big scheme of things.  Now, if that floor is disgustingly filthy, sure it's gross.  If the kids are being neglected and eat every single meal off the floor, sure it's a problem.  I am not in any way taking up for that piece of shit mom...I'm sure her children were neglected all day, everyday and I hope she ends up dying a slow painful death.

Trained?  My child isn't a fucking dog.  Yes, you can, over time, with a schedule and much repetitive structuring show how he/she should do things...But with sensory issues, it can take years, so you learn to go with the flow of things and pick your battles.  if something isn't a huge deal, you go with it.

Quoting lga1965:

Oh yeah, since I can read your mind  and know all about your kid....how COULD I have disagreed with you???Shame on me

:LISTEN , I DON"T read minds so lay off,okay?

ANd people--experts in the field of Autism- have said that autistic kids can be trained and taught too...so that's an excuse.

I have nothing further to say and I would prefer that you not reply.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

gammie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

She should have her tubes tied first than go to jail for a short time.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I'm not defending her, and I wasn't addressing the diaper, just your ridiculous about the picture. You do not KNOW by that picture that those kids are picking up food off the floor and eating it.

you still stinging from my pointing out your hypocrisy, is that why you're maligning parenting? lame.  

Quoting lga1965:

If there was popcorn on the floor at our house, the kids weren't eating it and we would be picking it up before they could. LOOK at that pictire. You can even see how full the kids' diapers are besides sitting on the floor with their popcorn snack....the whole thing is sleazy and abusive. Or is that how your kids look...full diapers, eating on the floor?

Don't defend that so-called "mom".SHe isn't...she's a neglectful, abusive monster.Just because she popped them out of her womb it doesn't make her a Mom.

Quoting autodidact:

no, it shows a kid with a handful of popcorn and some on the floor underneath it. which of course NEVER happens in responsible households. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

or you could back the fuck off and not tell other people how to raise their kids. 

Paperfishies wasn 't defending this mom, either.

god I hope you never serve on a jury.  

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting JTnJT:

Quoting radioheid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN