Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Murders of Teen's family by, Nehemiah Griego the son, in NM. What do you think our Courts should do with him?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is another one of those cases, that really has me asking myself, a lot of questions.  I was wondering what others thought about this case.  Was it Mental Illness?  What do we do with all these young kids that kill, mostly kill their families?  Should they be tried as an adult?  Here's some of the things that I just don't understand.

1.  The Uncle says the parents wouldn't allow him to play any violent video games.  Yet, I don't think that is the case or that parents are very careful these days with what movies they watch, video games they play.  As matter of fact, if I happen to be seeing a rated R movie, I see A LOT of young kids in there.  Sad.  Do you feel kids watching or playing violent movies or video games, can contribute to kids & violence?

2.  The teen planned on going to Wal-Mart to open fire on shoppers & have a shoot-out with the police.  What possesses anyone, yet alone a child to do this?  He's dad is a Pastor, the teen was home-schooled & very active in Church.  What happen to this teen?  I just don't understand this.  How can he kill his parents, & especially kill his siblings like that?

3.  The Uncle says that they believe differently about guns then a lot of Americans.  Since, the father was gone a lot, he taught his 15 yr how to shot a gun.  There were a lot of weapons, loaded inside the house & NOT locked up.  Why?  WHY would anyone do that?  The dad even had a AR-15 Assault Rifle.  umm  People that knew this teen said he was quite & courteous. 

4.  I'm not sure if this boy should be tried as an adult.  Be put into the system with other 'adult' criminals.  But, with what this teen did, how can he ever be safe in society again?  I don't feel he should be in the prison system.  He should be locked away & be given a chance to have all the resources available.  But, I don't believe he should be out anytime soon.  What do you think? 

Why do you think we are having SO many of our young people doing such horrible crimes?  What do you think we as a society can do to help with this problem?  I know No. 1 PARENTS need to start being better parents. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
MaySheWillStay
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I can't pass judgement on what should happen to him until I know the whole story. The more I read about it, the more convinced I become that something very, very weird was going on in that family.

10 kids, pastor daddy, lot of the kids had crazy names that are only really heard amongst fundamentalists, kids were homeschooled, rural area, guns everywhere... they sound less the loving family and more the lunatic fringe.

If they are indeed fundie as I suspect they are, their child-raising methods probably include a lot of heavy-handed bible-thumping, corporal punishment and fear of the parents, lots of fear in general, lots of paranoia about government/outsiders/culture wars/persecution, among other gems this culture produces. Naturally not all fundamentalists are like this, but a good majority of them are, particularly the isolationist kinds.

I find it interesting he killed the siblings (those that were there at the time). It's so uncommon for youth to murder siblings. The motivations for killing parents and the motivations for killing siblings are usually completely different. Especially with such young siblings. I've read bits and pieces on it over the years, from what I remember, youth who murder parents usually do so out of rage, revenge or personal gain. Youth who murder siblings, especially child siblings, tend to do so in a twisted kind of mercy killing, to spare them from harm or further trauma.

Of course he could just have been completely insane or an "evil" person... but I think that's an all-too-easy answer we get and buy into all too often, because it's more comfortable to think of someone as insane or evil than to consider the possibility that good, relatively normal people can be driven to such extremes absent insanity or evil, by the conditions around them.

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
What??? Really where do you get your info? There were 4 kids, Albuquerque is not a rural area, the names are Hispanic, he was a former gang member turned pastor for the police. And the guns were in the closet. Read the link I posted on the other page, from the City it happened in. I'm from there, and laughing at what you assume.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

I can't pass judgement on what should happen to him until I know the whole story. The more I read about it, the more convinced I become that something very, very weird was going on in that family.

10 kids, pastor daddy, lot of the kids had crazy names that are only really heard amongst fundamentalists, kids were homeschooled, rural area, guns everywhere... they sound less the loving family and more the lunatic fringe.

If they are indeed fundie as I suspect they are, their child-raising methods probably include a lot of heavy-handed bible-thumping, corporal punishment and fear of the parents, lots of fear in general, lots of paranoia about government/outsiders/culture wars/persecution, among other gems this culture produces. Naturally not all fundamentalists are like this, but a good majority of them are, particularly the isolationist kinds.

I find it interesting he killed the siblings (those that were there at the time). It's so uncommon for youth to murder siblings. The motivations for killing parents and the motivations for killing siblings are usually completely different. Especially with such young siblings. I've read bits and pieces on it over the years, from what I remember, youth who murder parents usually do so out of rage, revenge or personal gain. Youth who murder siblings, especially child siblings, tend to do so in a twisted kind of mercy killing, to spare them from harm or further trauma.

Of course he could just have been completely insane or an "evil" person... but I think that's an all-too-easy answer we get and buy into all too often, because it's more comfortable to think of someone as insane or evil than to consider the possibility that good, relatively normal people can be driven to such extremes absent insanity or evil, by the conditions around them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Will I think that 99% of these kids are on medication.  We have to look at the meds and the affect on the kids.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Says I have to have a subscription to read this article. Is there any way you can cut and paste the article here?

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Questions I have is why the father, a former gang member, who had a halfway house on his property could legally own guns in the first place. Why? Because he is the brother to former state Sen. Eric Griego. Good old boy state at its finest.

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/21/news/father-was-gang-member-turned-pastor.html
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

These are my thoughts! It has become so common for these kids to be playing violent video games and watching violent movies that at some point they are not able to tell which is truth and which is fiction. If you already have a mentally unstable child then these type things can only cause more confusion on the aspect of death. I do feel that this boy should be tried as an adult and locked away for the rest of his life. If he is prosecuted in the juvie system when he reaches a certain age he will be released with no treatment for his problems. IMO there are people who are just evil and there is no other way around it.

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Father Was Gang Member Turned Pastor

G. GRIEGO: Set up “God Pod” at jail

Greg Griego was a longtime pastor, known for helping former and current inmates, as well as troubled youths.

Griego had converted his backyard barn into a halfway house for released prisoners, according to neighbors. He also held services at the county jail’s “God Pod,” where he gave inmates spiritual advice.

Griego was a former gang member, according to an article posted on the Prison Fellowship website.

He is also the brother of former Democratic state Sen. Eric Griego.

“Our family is grieving this terrible tragedy,” the family said in a statement, according to KOAT. “We appreciate the prayers and support we have received and request that the media honor our family’s privacy during this difficult time.”

Griego held several jobs, but lost his position at Calvary church a few months ago and had struggled to find work, said a neighbor, who attends weekly Bible study at the home.

The lack of funds left the family living “paycheck to paycheck,” she said, and, “it’s been really rough on them.”

Griego spent 13 years as a volunteer pastor at the Metropolitan Detention Center, jail spokeswoman Nataura Powdrell said. He was instrumental in starting the jail’s “God Pod,” a unit of the massive lockup where inmates interested in the Bible and its teachings could be assigned.

Also, Griego served as a volunteer chaplain at the Albuquerque Fire Department. The department issued a statement lamenting the loss.

“Chaplain Griego was a dedicated professional that passionately served his fellow man and the firefighters of this community,” the statement reads. “His calming spirit and gentle nature will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Greg’s extended family.”

John Welch was a friend and co-worker of Griego’s at Calvary church. The two have been friends for 20 years, he said, and Griego has helped troubled kids get their lives back on track.

“I can’t believe that he’s gone,” he said Sunday outside the church.

He said Griego “would help a lot of folks, a lot of especially young kids,” and let them stay overnight, sometimes.

“He was one of the most courageous, one of the most kind and dear chaplain friends … that understood when I would tell him about having run into people that did cocaine or were involved in homicides, and I’m just praying for the teenager that’s in custody now,” Welch said.

The “God Pod” at MDC has since been scrapped because jail officials determined it constituted a violation of other inmates’ religious rights, Powdrell said, but Greg Griego continued to work at the MDC as a volunteer minister. He handed out free Bibles and worked as a spiritual counselor with inmates who wanted it.

She said he also helped set up the jail’s “Straight Streets” program, a Christian-based initiative to help inmates reintegrate into society. And Greg Griego was key in getting the jail to hire a full-time pastor; previously, it had been a volunteer position.

“I know he will be greatly missed by a great many inmates,” Powdrell said.

Journal photographer Adolphe Pierre-Louis contributed to this story.

— This article appeared on page A1 of the Albuquerque Journal

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/21/news/father-was-gang-member-turned-pastor.html

Quoting Erinelizz:

Says I have to have a subscription to read this article. Is there any way you can cut and paste the article here?

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Questions I have is why the father, a former gang member, who had a halfway house on his property could legally own guns in the first place. Why? Because he is the brother to former state Sen. Eric Griego. Good old boy state at its finest.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Nehemiah is a hebrew name.  Many fundies are into guns and naming their kids hebrew names.

Much of what she said is good profiling IMO.  Its hypothesis and opinion, not fact or assumption. At least thats how I read it.  I was thinking a lot of the same having been raised by a similar fashion, all the fear and harsh punishment I mean.

We will see if it pans out to be this or not.  Something definitely went wrong somewhere.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

What??? Really where do you get your info? There were 4 kids, Albuquerque is not a rural area, the names are Hispanic, he was a former gang member turned pastor for the police. And the guns were in the closet. Read the link I posted on the other page, from the City it happened in. I'm from there, and laughing at what you assume.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I don't know what to think as of yet because the details are scant.  What I will not do is blame the victims for the crimes of murder that the son committed.  At this point, at 15 yrs old, I have no inkling whether he will be tried as an adult.  I do, however, believe that some measure of justice should be  afford to the parents he killed and the siblings he took a lifetime away from.  And the notion that he did not have a fully developed `brain chemistry' is an excuse when he knew right from wrong and turned himself into the police after he spend the day with his, girlfriend.  Additionally, he texted a photo of his dead mother to his girlfriend prior to spending the day with her,  She did not call the police.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I just want to say that I know several people who had very peaceful natures and I never saw yell or mad who brutalized their kids in the name of godly discipline.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Father Was Gang Member Turned Pastor

G. GRIEGO: Set up “God Pod” at jail

Greg Griego was a longtime pastor, known for helping former and current inmates, as well as troubled youths.

Griego had converted his backyard barn into a halfway house for released prisoners, according to neighbors. He also held services at the county jail’s “God Pod,” where he gave inmates spiritual advice.

Griego was a former gang member, according to an article posted on the Prison Fellowship website.

He is also the brother of former Democratic state Sen. Eric Griego.

“Our family is grieving this terrible tragedy,” the family said in a statement, according to KOAT. “We appreciate the prayers and support we have received and request that the media honor our family’s privacy during this difficult time.”

Griego held several jobs, but lost his position at Calvary church a few months ago and had struggled to find work, said a neighbor, who attends weekly Bible study at the home.

The lack of funds left the family living “paycheck to paycheck,” she said, and, “it’s been really rough on them.”

Griego spent 13 years as a volunteer pastor at the Metropolitan Detention Center, jail spokeswoman Nataura Powdrell said. He was instrumental in starting the jail’s “God Pod,” a unit of the massive lockup where inmates interested in the Bible and its teachings could be assigned.

Also, Griego served as a volunteer chaplain at the Albuquerque Fire Department. The department issued a statement lamenting the loss.

“Chaplain Griego was a dedicated professional that passionately served his fellow man and the firefighters of this community,” the statement reads. “His calming spirit and gentle nature will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Greg’s extended family.”

John Welch was a friend and co-worker of Griego’s at Calvary church. The two have been friends for 20 years, he said, and Griego has helped troubled kids get their lives back on track.

“I can’t believe that he’s gone,” he said Sunday outside the church.

He said Griego “would help a lot of folks, a lot of especially young kids,” and let them stay overnight, sometimes.

“He was one of the most courageous, one of the most kind and dear chaplain friends … that understood when I would tell him about having run into people that did cocaine or were involved in homicides, and I’m just praying for the teenager that’s in custody now,” Welch said.

The “God Pod” at MDC has since been scrapped because jail officials determined it constituted a violation of other inmates’ religious rights, Powdrell said, but Greg Griego continued to work at the MDC as a volunteer minister. He handed out free Bibles and worked as a spiritual counselor with inmates who wanted it.

She said he also helped set up the jail’s “Straight Streets” program, a Christian-based initiative to help inmates reintegrate into society. And Greg Griego was key in getting the jail to hire a full-time pastor; previously, it had been a volunteer position.

“I know he will be greatly missed by a great many inmates,” Powdrell said.

Journal photographer Adolphe Pierre-Louis contributed to this story.

— This article appeared on page A1 of the Albuquerque Journal

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

The fact is that something almost always acts as a catalyst in these things and thought processes do rely on chemistry.

I am not trying to blame the victims but trying to process the why of it.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I don't know what to think as of yet because the details are scant.  What I will not do is blame the victims for the crimes of murder that the son committed.  At this point, at 15 yrs old, I have no inkling whether he will be tried as an adult.  I do, however, believe that some measure of justice should be  afford to the parents he killed and the siblings he took a lifetime away from.  And the notion that he did not have a fully developed `brain chemistry' is an excuse when he knew right from wrong and turned himself into the police after he spend the day with his, girlfriend.  Additionally, he texted a photo of his dead mother to his girlfriend prior to spending the day with her,  She did not call the police.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)