Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Murders of Teen's family by, Nehemiah Griego the son, in NM. What do you think our Courts should do with him?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is another one of those cases, that really has me asking myself, a lot of questions.  I was wondering what others thought about this case.  Was it Mental Illness?  What do we do with all these young kids that kill, mostly kill their families?  Should they be tried as an adult?  Here's some of the things that I just don't understand.

1.  The Uncle says the parents wouldn't allow him to play any violent video games.  Yet, I don't think that is the case or that parents are very careful these days with what movies they watch, video games they play.  As matter of fact, if I happen to be seeing a rated R movie, I see A LOT of young kids in there.  Sad.  Do you feel kids watching or playing violent movies or video games, can contribute to kids & violence?

2.  The teen planned on going to Wal-Mart to open fire on shoppers & have a shoot-out with the police.  What possesses anyone, yet alone a child to do this?  He's dad is a Pastor, the teen was home-schooled & very active in Church.  What happen to this teen?  I just don't understand this.  How can he kill his parents, & especially kill his siblings like that?

3.  The Uncle says that they believe differently about guns then a lot of Americans.  Since, the father was gone a lot, he taught his 15 yr how to shot a gun.  There were a lot of weapons, loaded inside the house & NOT locked up.  Why?  WHY would anyone do that?  The dad even had a AR-15 Assault Rifle.  umm  People that knew this teen said he was quite & courteous. 

4.  I'm not sure if this boy should be tried as an adult.  Be put into the system with other 'adult' criminals.  But, with what this teen did, how can he ever be safe in society again?  I don't feel he should be in the prison system.  He should be locked away & be given a chance to have all the resources available.  But, I don't believe he should be out anytime soon.  What do you think? 

Why do you think we are having SO many of our young people doing such horrible crimes?  What do you think we as a society can do to help with this problem?  I know No. 1 PARENTS need to start being better parents. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I agree.  Anyone under 18, shouldn't be treated like an adult.  This teen should be put into a "Juvie" with other teens that commit crimes.  Then, when they are 18, there should also be another place where kids that commit felony crimes when they were under 18.  I don't like the fact that anyone committing a crime when they are under 18, then turns 18, go into prison with all the other criminals are that committed crimes at 18 & over.   

Quoting survivorinohio:

If he were 18 he would be less vulnerable in prison.  If he were 18 he would have been on a path of growing up but I dont think most boys become men till their early 20s.  Its tough as to what to do with a kid like this.  That little girl that killed the neighbor child too.  I do think they need locked up forever but I do not think that prison is humane to the mentally ill. I think we owe it to them to thoroughly explore the whys though.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I certainly understand that, but I must ask.  Would it be different if he were 18 years old?  Let's say for the sake of argument that he was abused (this is not true to the best of my knowledge at this point) and snapped, and killed everyone in the house.  Would be receive the same compassion for this suffering or does the `magic' age of 18 nullify it and just make him another cold blooded killer who should have the book thrown at him?

Quoting survivorinohio:

The fact is that something almost always acts as a catalyst in these things and thought processes do rely on chemistry.

I am not trying to blame the victims but trying to process the why of it.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I don't know what to think as of yet because the details are scant.  What I will not do is blame the victims for the crimes of murder that the son committed.  At this point, at 15 yrs old, I have no inkling whether he will be tried as an adult.  I do, however, believe that some measure of justice should be  afford to the parents he killed and the siblings he took a lifetime away from.  And the notion that he did not have a fully developed `brain chemistry' is an excuse when he knew right from wrong and turned himself into the police after he spend the day with his, girlfriend.  Additionally, he texted a photo of his dead mother to his girlfriend prior to spending the day with her,  She did not call the police.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

We usually disagree, but I agree with what you said in this post.  We end up paying for people committing crimes.  The State of NM will be paying for this teen for many, many yrs.  But, because we are a humane Country, this is what we continue to do.  Heck, we don't even put mass murderers to death very often.  We don't put men that murder/rape young children to death. 

So, we end up paying for them to be behind bars for the rest of their life.  Allowing them food & shelter, exercise outside, watching alittle tv, having a library to check out books, obtain their degrees, getting hair cuts.  Seems more rights are given to people that commit these crimes, then the victims.   

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

IMO this isn't going to be the kind of case that enlightens parents at all.

That young man should be punished in a way that allows him to feel remorse and guilt. He really needs to be in intensive therapy. What pisses me off about it is that he becomes a burden of the state and taxpayers in order to be punished and become reformed, all because of his poor choices.

He killed his family. At some point the guilt he might feel will likely be more overwhelming than the feelings that led to his rampage. What a crappy life he has in front of him.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I cannot even begin to assume I know the mind of this kid, his parents, other family members.  I am not privy to his life up until the murders.  I know nothing of his parents, how they parented or otherwise.

I cannot make no assumptions on what the parents, or any one else, should have done, did not do or how they went about any thing.

I have absolutely no problem with him being tried as an adult, provided he is not indeed found to be mentally unstable.  Even then, the juvie system is not going to do much good, for lack of a better word.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I do believe in evil but I dont think it comes naturally to children, it is introduced.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I agree, I will need to first wait to hear what the Dr's results are about this teen.  But, I do feel that way too many crimes that are committed, Dr's are always coming out of the wood works to say they have some form of mental illness.  As if to say that a crime that is so horrible, that the murderer has to be mentally ill.  I disagree. 

Yes, some are.  But, I feel that some are just horrible, horrible people.  If they are shown to be mentally ill, then I believe they should be in a hospital for the mentally ill.  Over time if the Dr's feel they are safe to be back out into society, then some certainly do deserve to have a 2nd chance.  Being on probation & supervised. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

I think that he needs therapy and maybe meds and that doesnt happen in prison.  The mentally ill end up in solitary confinement or segregation and isolation makes them crazier.

Something happened with this kid.  I need a lot more details before I could level judgement as to what should happen to him. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I'm not sure about that.  Maybe, when they are younger yes.  I also disagree, what he did was so vicious, that he should be in prison along with other kids that commit crimes like this.  I guess that's 'Juvie'? But, not just be supervised.  If let out, I believe he would commit another crime just as horrible.  Maybe, being locked up away from society, & receiving counseling, then one day he can be released, idk.  That's the problem with criminals & ANYONE that commits crime.  Most repeat crimes & do commit even worse crimes.

I also very with the fact the father had so many guns, even an assult weapon.  Then, his Uncle saying that in 'their culture'?  they believed the oldest defends the family.  Therefore, the father left the guns out & loaded.  Sorry, but I wonder about the boy's upbringing.  The father was gone all the time.  Maybe, it was some type of rebellion. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting rfurlongg:

Children, imo, should NEVER be tried as adults. In no other aspect of our society do we treat children as adults. Our judicial system should be no different. HOwever, I acknowledge our current juvie system is dangerously lacking in many, many, areas and in desperate need of reform. 

I do not know what prompted his violent and deathly rampage. We may never know but I suspect there is a back story. 

I totally agree. Nothing about how a childs hrain chemistry even works like an adult,.

I am sure there is a back story, maybe someday we will learn it .

I think this kid should be under supervision forever probably, but not in a prison.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Good question.  It seems that magic number 18 makes the difference in the law.  What was interesting that during Christmas, the Uncle mentioned the whole family was together.  Nehemiah, the Uncle said was perfectly happy & normal.  That was interesting to know.  I just don't feel that anyone under the age of 18, is not an adult yet.

I guess, some can argue the age should be 21 or older?  I forgot what the guest speaker on Dr. Phil said the age of the completely developed mind.  25?  Which I was surprised by that.  Anyway, I feel all crimes committed by someone 18 & over should be tried as an adult.  Under 18, shouldn't.  They should be put into "Juvei" or build prison type places for people under 18.   

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I certainly understand that, but I must ask.  Would it be different if he were 18 years old?  Let's say for the sake of argument that he was abused (this is not true to the best of my knowledge at this point) and snapped, and killed everyone in the house.  Would be receive the same compassion for this suffering or does the `magic' age of 18 nullify it and just make him another cold blooded killer who should have the book thrown at him?

Quoting survivorinohio:

The fact is that something almost always acts as a catalyst in these things and thought processes do rely on chemistry.

I am not trying to blame the victims but trying to process the why of it.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I don't know what to think as of yet because the details are scant.  What I will not do is blame the victims for the crimes of murder that the son committed.  At this point, at 15 yrs old, I have no inkling whether he will be tried as an adult.  I do, however, believe that some measure of justice should be  afford to the parents he killed and the siblings he took a lifetime away from.  And the notion that he did not have a fully developed `brain chemistry' is an excuse when he knew right from wrong and turned himself into the police after he spend the day with his, girlfriend.  Additionally, he texted a photo of his dead mother to his girlfriend prior to spending the day with her,  She did not call the police.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Interesting.  So, you think that their environment plays a big part in crimes that kids commit?  In this case, we haven't heard of any abuse.  His father, except for not locking up his guns & having an assult weapon, seemed to be a really good person.  Seem to be a good role model for his kids.  I do feel if it's true, he had a halfway house for ex-gangs or troubled teens on his property, wasn't in good judgement.  Also, I don't get why the State of NM would be allowing that?  Being he had 4 children of his own.  

Do you believe violent video games & movies, can contribute to part of this?  His 12 yr. old g/f.  Why any parent would even allow their children to have b/f's & g/f's at that age I have no idea.  It just makes me shake my head, why the 12 yr. old g/f, not call the police.  His Uncle said in the texts between the g/f & teen, the g/f was egging him on.  What the heck is wrong with kids now days?   

Quoting survivorinohio:

I do believe in evil but I dont think it comes naturally to children, it is introduced.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I agree, I will need to first wait to hear what the Dr's results are about this teen.  But, I do feel that way too many crimes that are committed, Dr's are always coming out of the wood works to say they have some form of mental illness.  As if to say that a crime that is so horrible, that the murderer has to be mentally ill.  I disagree. 

Yes, some are.  But, I feel that some are just horrible, horrible people.  If they are shown to be mentally ill, then I believe they should be in a hospital for the mentally ill.  Over time if the Dr's feel they are safe to be back out into society, then some certainly do deserve to have a 2nd chance.  Being on probation & supervised. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

I think that he needs therapy and maybe meds and that doesnt happen in prison.  The mentally ill end up in solitary confinement or segregation and isolation makes them crazier.

Something happened with this kid.  I need a lot more details before I could level judgement as to what should happen to him. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I'm not sure about that.  Maybe, when they are younger yes.  I also disagree, what he did was so vicious, that he should be in prison along with other kids that commit crimes like this.  I guess that's 'Juvie'? But, not just be supervised.  If let out, I believe he would commit another crime just as horrible.  Maybe, being locked up away from society, & receiving counseling, then one day he can be released, idk.  That's the problem with criminals & ANYONE that commits crime.  Most repeat crimes & do commit even worse crimes.

I also very with the fact the father had so many guns, even an assult weapon.  Then, his Uncle saying that in 'their culture'?  they believed the oldest defends the family.  Therefore, the father left the guns out & loaded.  Sorry, but I wonder about the boy's upbringing.  The father was gone all the time.  Maybe, it was some type of rebellion. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting rfurlongg:

Children, imo, should NEVER be tried as adults. In no other aspect of our society do we treat children as adults. Our judicial system should be no different. HOwever, I acknowledge our current juvie system is dangerously lacking in many, many, areas and in desperate need of reform. 

I do not know what prompted his violent and deathly rampage. We may never know but I suspect there is a back story. 

I totally agree. Nothing about how a childs hrain chemistry even works like an adult,.

I think this kid should be under supervision forever probably, but not in a prison.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The family doesnt have to be the source. 

I reserve judgement on whether he was a good father, I dont have that information.  I know one upstanding proffessional, highly educated and very soft spoken man who brutalized his older children when they were infants/toddlers.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Interesting.  So, you think that their environment plays a big part in crimes that kids commit?  In this case, we haven't heard of any abuse.  His father, except for not locking up his guns & having an assult weapon, seemed to be a really good person.  Seem to be a good role model for his kids.  I do feel if it's true, he had a halfway house for ex-gangs or troubled teens on his property, wasn't in good judgement.  Also, I don't get why the State of NM would be allowing that?  Being he had 4 children of his own.  

Do you believe violent video games & movies, can contribute to part of this?  His 12 yr. old g/f.  Why any parent would even allow their children to have b/f's & g/f's at that age I have no idea.  It just makes me shake my head, why the 12 yr. old g/f, not call the police.  His Uncle said in the texts between the g/f & teen, the g/f was egging him on.  What the heck is wrong with kids now days?   

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting rfurlongg:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I agree, there are just people (which includes kids) that are just plain evil.  I think that Dr's just take the opportunity to perk up their business, & come up with all these diagnoses of mental illness.  As if, there's no such thing as just a 'bad person'.  I don't feel though, he should be tried as an adult.  Putting him in with adult felons.  There's all kinds of abuse that go on between inmates.  Even if this teen caused a horrible mass murders, I would like to feel our Country is more humane then this.

But, I also don't feel he should be released for a very long, long time.  Do they only keep them till they are 18 in juvie?  If that's the case, kids can't be released back into society.  There needs to be another prison type place, where they continue to get counseling & if need be, spend the rest of their life there. 

Quoting pamelax3:

These are my thoughts! It has become so common for these kids to be playing violent video games and watching violent movies that at some point they are not able to tell which is truth and which is fiction. If you already have a mentally unstable child then these type things can only cause more confusion on the aspect of death. I do feel that this boy should be tried as an adult and locked away for the rest of his life. If he is prosecuted in the juvie system when he reaches a certain age he will be released with no treatment for his problems. IMO there are people who are just evil and there is no other way around it.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I agree.  Everyone should reserve judgement until everything is out to the public.  The Dr's need to test & counsel the teen first.  We need to get all the info. out there.  But, what we do know already, according t the Uncle & I believe the Detectives.  The father believed in the oldest son, being the protector when he is away.  Why the 'adult' mom can't be, I have no idea.  Anyway, having all those guns, assult weapons & not locked up.  Just is crazy!  A killing waiting to happen. 

Also, the fact the father was always away a lot.  Doing all kinds of volunteer work, when he has 4 kids.  Seems, IMO, not being a father.  He needs to be with those children.  They said he was gone all the time.  Perhaps, the teen had resentments over that.  Perhaps, the teen felt the younger siblings had more attention.  That a lot of the responsibility, the dad put on him.  Then he snapped.  That could explain why he would also kill his siblings.

Quoting survivorinohio:

The family doesnt have to be the source. 

I reserve judgement on whether he was a good father, I dont have that information.  I know one upstanding proffessional, highly educated and very soft spoken man who brutalized his older children when they were infants/toddlers.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting rfurlongg:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

In Texas I believe they are released at either 18 or 21 with no further restrictions! I do agree that he should not be with adults until he is an adult, but the only way to insure he does not get out is to try him as an adult! If that makes sense  

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I agree, there are just people (which includes kids) that are just plain evil.  I think that Dr's just take the opportunity to perk up their business, & come up with all these diagnoses of mental illness.  As if, there's no such thing as just a 'bad person'.  I don't feel though, he should be tried as an adult.  Putting him in with adult felons.  There's all kinds of abuse that go on between inmates.  Even if this teen caused a horrible mass murders, I would like to feel our Country is more humane then this.

But, I also don't feel he should be released for a very long, long time.  Do they only keep them till they are 18 in juvie?  If that's the case, kids can't be released back into society.  There needs to be another prison type place, where they continue to get counseling & if need be, spend the rest of their life there. 

Quoting pamelax3:

These are my thoughts! It has become so common for these kids to be playing violent video games and watching violent movies that at some point they are not able to tell which is truth and which is fiction. If you already have a mentally unstable child then these type things can only cause more confusion on the aspect of death. I do feel that this boy should be tried as an adult and locked away for the rest of his life. If he is prosecuted in the juvie system when he reaches a certain age he will be released with no treatment for his problems. IMO there are people who are just evil and there is no other way around it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured