Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Murders of Teen's family by, Nehemiah Griego the son, in NM. What do you think our Courts should do with him?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is another one of those cases, that really has me asking myself, a lot of questions.  I was wondering what others thought about this case.  Was it Mental Illness?  What do we do with all these young kids that kill, mostly kill their families?  Should they be tried as an adult?  Here's some of the things that I just don't understand.

1.  The Uncle says the parents wouldn't allow him to play any violent video games.  Yet, I don't think that is the case or that parents are very careful these days with what movies they watch, video games they play.  As matter of fact, if I happen to be seeing a rated R movie, I see A LOT of young kids in there.  Sad.  Do you feel kids watching or playing violent movies or video games, can contribute to kids & violence?

2.  The teen planned on going to Wal-Mart to open fire on shoppers & have a shoot-out with the police.  What possesses anyone, yet alone a child to do this?  He's dad is a Pastor, the teen was home-schooled & very active in Church.  What happen to this teen?  I just don't understand this.  How can he kill his parents, & especially kill his siblings like that?

3.  The Uncle says that they believe differently about guns then a lot of Americans.  Since, the father was gone a lot, he taught his 15 yr how to shot a gun.  There were a lot of weapons, loaded inside the house & NOT locked up.  Why?  WHY would anyone do that?  The dad even had a AR-15 Assault Rifle.  umm  People that knew this teen said he was quite & courteous. 

4.  I'm not sure if this boy should be tried as an adult.  Be put into the system with other 'adult' criminals.  But, with what this teen did, how can he ever be safe in society again?  I don't feel he should be in the prison system.  He should be locked away & be given a chance to have all the resources available.  But, I don't believe he should be out anytime soon.  What do you think? 

Why do you think we are having SO many of our young people doing such horrible crimes?  What do you think we as a society can do to help with this problem?  I know No. 1 PARENTS need to start being better parents. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
NM is completely different, owning a gun is as common as owning a hammer. Albuquerque isn't rural, like where I grew up, where state troopers will cover 4 counties. When I get on my pc I will send a Google maps of where I grew up. They are even introducing a bill to all guns in bars in NM.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

The family had 4 kids, includes the teen.  I believe Nehemiah 15, a 9, 5 & 2 yr.  The 2 yr. was a little girl :(  I heard also that where they lived was semi-rural.  I was curious as to their names as well.  I agree too, that having all those guns in the home, LOADED &  not locked up was a killing waiting to happen.  Also, there was an assault weapon.  I don't undestand why the father would have all those guns. 

The Uncle even said, they do things different when it comes to comes to guns??  They have the oldest child defend the family, when the father is gone??  Therefore, not having them locked up & having them loaded??  Crazy.  I wonder what the gun laws are in NM.  How did the father able to get all those guns?  I will never know how ANYONE can be allowed an assult weapon.  Especially, since the father was an ex-gang member. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I had always known that name to be of Hispanic origin, since it is a popular name in NM and Mexico. Was most likely brought over by Cortes long ago, and considering the strong Catholic background of the area, not shocking that it would be Hebrew. The actual pronunciation is Nehemias.  

New Mexico is far from Fundies, nor is that area rural. I was only trying to enlighten her to facts, and how far off the profiling was. Since I am from there and still have strong ties to the area. Wasn't sure were she got 10 kids, and rural area? Now if she was talking about Colorado City, AZ- yes, she would be right on. 

The first mistake was allowing a former gang member guns, second mistake was having guns on a property that has a halfway house on it. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Nehemiah is a hebrew name.  Many fundies are into guns and naming their kids hebrew names.

Much of what she said is good profiling IMO.  Its hypothesis and opinion, not fact or assumption. At least thats how I read it.  I was thinking a lot of the same having been raised by a similar fashion, all the fear and harsh punishment I mean.

We will see if it pans out to be this or not.  Something definitely went wrong somewhere.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

What??? Really where do you get your info? There were 4 kids, Albuquerque is not a rural area, the names are Hispanic, he was a former gang member turned pastor for the police. And the guns were in the closet. Read the link I posted on the other page, from the City it happened in. I'm from there, and laughing at what you assume.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

I can't pass judgement on what should happen to him until I know the whole story. The more I read about it, the more convinced I become that something very, very weird was going on in that family.

10 kids, pastor daddy, lot of the kids had crazy names that are only really heard amongst fundamentalists, kids were homeschooled, rural area, guns everywhere... they sound less the loving family and more the lunatic fringe.

If they are indeed fundie as I suspect they are, their child-raising methods probably include a lot of heavy-handed bible-thumping, corporal punishment and fear of the parents, lots of fear in general, lots of paranoia about government/outsiders/culture wars/persecution, among other gems this culture produces. Naturally not all fundamentalists are like this, but a good majority of them are, particularly the isolationist kinds.

I find it interesting he killed the siblings (those that were there at the time). It's so uncommon for youth to murder siblings. The motivations for killing parents and the motivations for killing siblings are usually completely different. Especially with such young siblings. I've read bits and pieces on it over the years, from what I remember, youth who murder parents usually do so out of rage, revenge or personal gain. Youth who murder siblings, especially child siblings, tend to do so in a twisted kind of mercy killing, to spare them from harm or further trauma.

Of course he could just have been completely insane or an "evil" person... but I think that's an all-too-easy answer we get and buy into all too often, because it's more comfortable to think of someone as insane or evil than to consider the possibility that good, relatively normal people can be driven to such extremes absent insanity or evil, by the conditions around them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM

The speculation, from some, in this thread would make a hell of a movie. The imaginations are running rampant.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I understand this, but do they also have assult weapons?  Do they leave guns just laying around, loaded? 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

NM is completely different, owning a gun is as common as owning a hammer. Albuquerque isn't rural, like where I grew up, where state troopers will cover 4 counties. When I get on my pc I will send a Google maps of where I grew up. They are even introducing a bill to all guns in bars in NM.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

The family had 4 kids, includes the teen.  I believe Nehemiah 15, a 9, 5 & 2 yr.  The 2 yr. was a little girl :(  I heard also that where they lived was semi-rural.  I was curious as to their names as well.  I agree too, that having all those guns in the home, LOADED &  not locked up was a killing waiting to happen.  Also, there was an assault weapon.  I don't undestand why the father would have all those guns. 

The Uncle even said, they do things different when it comes to comes to guns??  They have the oldest child defend the family, when the father is gone??  Therefore, not having them locked up & having them loaded??  Crazy.  I wonder what the gun laws are in NM.  How did the father able to get all those guns?  I will never know how ANYONE can be allowed an assult weapon.  Especially, since the father was an ex-gang member. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I had always known that name to be of Hispanic origin, since it is a popular name in NM and Mexico. Was most likely brought over by Cortes long ago, and considering the strong Catholic background of the area, not shocking that it would be Hebrew. The actual pronunciation is Nehemias.  

New Mexico is far from Fundies, nor is that area rural. I was only trying to enlighten her to facts, and how far off the profiling was. Since I am from there and still have strong ties to the area. Wasn't sure were she got 10 kids, and rural area? Now if she was talking about Colorado City, AZ- yes, she would be right on. 

The first mistake was allowing a former gang member guns, second mistake was having guns on a property that has a halfway house on it. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Nehemiah is a hebrew name.  Many fundies are into guns and naming their kids hebrew names.

Much of what she said is good profiling IMO.  Its hypothesis and opinion, not fact or assumption. At least thats how I read it.  I was thinking a lot of the same having been raised by a similar fashion, all the fear and harsh punishment I mean.

We will see if it pans out to be this or not.  Something definitely went wrong somewhere.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

What??? Really where do you get your info? There were 4 kids, Albuquerque is not a rural area, the names are Hispanic, he was a former gang member turned pastor for the police. And the guns were in the closet. Read the link I posted on the other page, from the City it happened in. I'm from there, and laughing at what you assume.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

I can't pass judgement on what should happen to him until I know the whole story. The more I read about it, the more convinced I become that something very, very weird was going on in that family.

10 kids, pastor daddy, lot of the kids had crazy names that are only really heard amongst fundamentalists, kids were homeschooled, rural area, guns everywhere... they sound less the loving family and more the lunatic fringe.

If they are indeed fundie as I suspect they are, their child-raising methods probably include a lot of heavy-handed bible-thumping, corporal punishment and fear of the parents, lots of fear in general, lots of paranoia about government/outsiders/culture wars/persecution, among other gems this culture produces. Naturally not all fundamentalists are like this, but a good majority of them are, particularly the isolationist kinds.

I find it interesting he killed the siblings (those that were there at the time). It's so uncommon for youth to murder siblings. The motivations for killing parents and the motivations for killing siblings are usually completely different. Especially with such young siblings. I've read bits and pieces on it over the years, from what I remember, youth who murder parents usually do so out of rage, revenge or personal gain. Youth who murder siblings, especially child siblings, tend to do so in a twisted kind of mercy killing, to spare them from harm or further trauma.

Of course he could just have been completely insane or an "evil" person... but I think that's an all-too-easy answer we get and buy into all too often, because it's more comfortable to think of someone as insane or evil than to consider the possibility that good, relatively normal people can be driven to such extremes absent insanity or evil, by the conditions around them.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yeah well, don't you believe that this is what CM & debating is all about?  Don't you feel that in order to cover everything that could be a possibility, should be explored?  I certainly wouldn't want to see any movie made of this horrible crime. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

The speculation, from some, in this thread would make a hell of a movie. The imaginations are running rampant.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Yeah well, don't you believe that this is what CM & debating is all about?  Don't you feel that in order to cover everything that could be a possibility, should be explored?  I certainly wouldn't want to see any movie made of this horrible crime. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

What I meant was............the assumption that there had to be more going on within the family, the property, based on what............that the father was a former gang member who turned his life around?  Or the way the mother dressed or some other absurd assumption?   The latter is an example.  

My niece attends the same Church this man was involved in.  She knew the children and several women had spent time with the mother.  Now, I am not saying there was NOT something out of the ordinary happening, it is speculated, after all, that the kid had issues with his mother.  But to sit here and come up with scenarios that are strictly made up should be some what concerning.

We can discuss it, of course.  But from a few, I have not read all of your posts in this thread.........they are talking absolutes in why this happened, what is wrong with the family, etc. 

It seems obvious there was/is something terribly wrong with this kid.  The why, how and what for may never be determined.  So sure, I guess some have fun speculating, but when you present that speculation in a manner that says you believe it to be fact, that is worrisome.

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?ll=33.916747,-105.33388&spn=0.011058,0.026157&ctz=420&t=h&z=16

This is the natural gas pipeline my father was assigned at, along with 4 other families. He was an Engineer, and worked for Transwestern, later it was Enron, now it is runned by Keystone. There isn't a little town for about an hour in any direction. Ranchers, and wide open spaces. We get a lot of German troops from Holloman AFB who will dump their pets off in the area when they go back to Germany. Actually wild packs of dogs and drug cartel are the two main concerns in NM, more so in the southern part of the state than Albuquerque. When you come across a pack of 30+ wild dogs, you want the best weapon you can have. 7 bullets aren't going to scare a large pack of wild hungry dogs and the nearest law enforcement might take a couple hours to reach you. New Mexico is barely a 100 years old as a state, and very rich in Hispanic/Native American Culture. We have our issues, but overall it still is a beautiful state. It has the annual International Balloon Festival, Smokey the Bear, Billy the Kid and so many cultural festivals. 

Balloons in Alamogordo.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Yes, usually loaded and not in safest. It wasn't until I grew up that I even heard of safes for guns. And that was because I moved to a large city and went to college with people from other states. My ex is a cop there and still leaves his loaded glock on the table. I was taught to view all guns as loaded, treat them as they are loaded.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I understand this, but do they also have assult weapons?  Do they leave guns just laying around, loaded? 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juju40
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

throw the book at him..he knew what he was doing

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I agree.  Point is we just don't know.  I don't think anyone is assuming, although it may sound like that.  For me, I just pointed out things that were reported about the father.  Not to say that he's was a bad man or father.  I just found it very distrubing when the Uncle spoke about how in their culture or family, they think differently as far as guns.  They feel the oldest should protect the family, yet not the adult the mom?  Plus, the father thought it was ok just leaving the guns around loaded, plus having an assult weapon.  I'm sorry AtoZ, that is VERY distrubing to me.  

Plus, reading where the father might of had a 'half-way' house for troubled or (gangs) on his property.  That's bad, when he has 4 kids of his own.  I just feel that parents imo just aren't being that responsible with their kids.  Just like what happen in Conn., where the mom had all these guns.  She also knew from what I read, that her son had some issues.  Perhaps, even mental issues.  Makes me wonder, had these guns not of been so available to this young teen, if he would of done what he did?  At least not that easily.  I'm not blaming the parents.  Just thinking about the whole situation as a whole.  We will find out more soon I'm sure. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

What I meant was............the assumption that there had to be more going on within the family, the property, based on what............that the father was a former gang member who turned his life around?  Or the way the mother dressed or some other absurd assumption?   The latter is an example.  

My niece attends the same Church this man was involved in.  She knew the children and several women had spent time with the mother.  Now, I am not saying there was NOT something out of the ordinary happening, it is speculated, after all, that the kid had issues with his mother.  But to sit here and come up with scenarios that are strictly made up should be some what concerning.

We can discuss it, of course.  But from a few, I have not read all of your posts in this thread.........they are talking absolutes in why this happened, what is wrong with the family, etc. 

It seems obvious there was/is something terribly wrong with this kid.  The why, how and what for may never be determined.  So sure, I guess some have fun speculating, but when you present that speculation in a manner that says you believe it to be fact, that is worrisome.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

From what I read, the teen will be tried as an adult.  So sad.  I think though we just need to wait & find out ALL the facts in this case is.  Then, decide/judge.  When I first heard about the O.J. case, I thought yes he did it.  Then, I thought I'd better hear the case first.  True, it didn't take long though to see that he did commit these murders.  Again, with Casey A.  I thought, of course she did it.  With what we found out right from the start, I felt all along she did it.  Now, with this Jodi Arias case, where she butchered her ex b/f.  I thought, yes she did it.  Everyone did. 

Then, I went on to the punishment phrase.   What she should get.  After hearing everything in this case, mostly about Travis.  It got me to thinking more.  Yes, she is guilty & she should spend most of her life behind bars.  I don't think she should get the death penalty though.  So, with this case where the boy is a teen.  It all has me thinking.  Yes, no doubt he did it.  Yes, imo, the father shouldn't of had all the weapons, loaded & not locked up.  I also, I don't believe in giving the responsibility of protecting his family to a teen.  That should always be for an adult. 

The father also shouldn't of had a 'halfway house' of troubled teens on his property.  As long as there's kids on his property.  I'm shocked that the City/State would allow that.  I'm shocked they didn't know he had all these guns, loaded & not locked.  I'm shocked they didn't know he had an assult weapon.  Being a pastor, did all this volunteer work.  Plus, having this halfway house on his property.  With these troubled teens.  Makes NO sense!   Sadly, at the moment, I'm leaning towards he knew what he was doing as well.  The question would be why?  IF he had any mental issues.

Quoting juju40:

throw the book at him..he knew what he was doing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured