Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Murders of Teen's family by, Nehemiah Griego the son, in NM. What do you think our Courts should do with him?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is another one of those cases, that really has me asking myself, a lot of questions.  I was wondering what others thought about this case.  Was it Mental Illness?  What do we do with all these young kids that kill, mostly kill their families?  Should they be tried as an adult?  Here's some of the things that I just don't understand.

1.  The Uncle says the parents wouldn't allow him to play any violent video games.  Yet, I don't think that is the case or that parents are very careful these days with what movies they watch, video games they play.  As matter of fact, if I happen to be seeing a rated R movie, I see A LOT of young kids in there.  Sad.  Do you feel kids watching or playing violent movies or video games, can contribute to kids & violence?

2.  The teen planned on going to Wal-Mart to open fire on shoppers & have a shoot-out with the police.  What possesses anyone, yet alone a child to do this?  He's dad is a Pastor, the teen was home-schooled & very active in Church.  What happen to this teen?  I just don't understand this.  How can he kill his parents, & especially kill his siblings like that?

3.  The Uncle says that they believe differently about guns then a lot of Americans.  Since, the father was gone a lot, he taught his 15 yr how to shot a gun.  There were a lot of weapons, loaded inside the house & NOT locked up.  Why?  WHY would anyone do that?  The dad even had a AR-15 Assault Rifle.  umm  People that knew this teen said he was quite & courteous. 

4.  I'm not sure if this boy should be tried as an adult.  Be put into the system with other 'adult' criminals.  But, with what this teen did, how can he ever be safe in society again?  I don't feel he should be in the prison system.  He should be locked away & be given a chance to have all the resources available.  But, I don't believe he should be out anytime soon.  What do you think? 

Why do you think we are having SO many of our young people doing such horrible crimes?  What do you think we as a society can do to help with this problem?  I know No. 1 PARENTS need to start being better parents. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (71-80):
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I think it's pretty obvious they were.  I know I shouldn't assume, but even with 4 kids & 2 adults.  I don't believe the mom was working.  I don't know with what the father did, how he even was paid enough to provide for that large of a family.  Wasn't it mostly volunteer work. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's horrible of the Uncle to go on Dr. Drew do all that bitching about false info., yet he doesn't help the teen out with his defense.  I thought it was true that the teen, loaded up some guns & drove off.  Wanting to shoot at Wal-mart shoppers & then have a shotout with police.  Instead he went to church. 

I certainly wouldn't want to live in NM, to be honest.  It's bad enough in Calif.  What burns me up, is when people have so many kids, & yet the taxpayers have to end up paying for them.

I wonder....just wondering....I read where his dad lost his job??  From everything I read about the father, even though I know he was doing a lot of good too!  But, it doesn't seem like he had enough time to care for the kids he had.  To spend time with his 4 kids.  (4 that was living at home).  How could he when he was a Pastor, ran a halfway house & did so much volunteer work.  Perhaps, the teen saw the living condition he & the other siblings were living under.  Idk.  Boys at the age need their fathers so much!  Perhaps, he had a lot of resentments as well. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Has it been reported that this family was on any type of public assistance and that any one other than the parents were providing for these 10 children?

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM
It is disgusting how the Uncle is acting. He is being the typical good old boy politician. The Walmart statement was the second story the kid told. :( waiting for the court transcripts.

It's truly different world, I couldn't be paid enough to live in Cali, different types of issues. Other than visiting family will not be moving back to NM, live in Ut now.

As for the father he was part of the jail ministries for calvary.

http://www.calvaryabq.org/news.asp?LatestID=4685

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's horrible of the Uncle to go on Dr. Drew do all that bitching about false info., yet he doesn't help the teen out with his defense.  I thought it was true that the teen, loaded up some guns & drove off.  Wanting to shoot at Wal-mart shoppers & then have a shotout with police.  Instead he went to church. 

I certainly wouldn't want to live in NM, to be honest.  It's bad enough in Calif.  What burns me up, is when people have so many kids, & yet the taxpayers have to end up paying for them.

I wonder....just wondering....I read where his dad lost his job??  From everything I read about the father, even though I know he was doing a lot of good too!  But, it doesn't seem like he had enough time to care for the kids he had.  To spend time with his 4 kids.  (4 that was living at home).  How could he when he was a Pastor, ran a halfway house & did so much volunteer work.  Perhaps, the teen saw the living condition he & the other siblings were living under.  Idk.  Boys at the age need their fathers so much!  Perhaps, he had a lot of resentments as well. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Knowing NM, large families aren't uncommon, but they could be from prior relationships- I haven't heard 10 kids either.

The uncle is a former senator and instead of picking up the tab for defense, he's pushed this kid off to public defense.

A lot of people are irate about this, the defense also accused police of leaking false info on wanting to kill more.

http://www.KOB.com/article/stories/S2909399.shtml?cat=500

Halfway house.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2904258.shtml?cat=504

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I have yet seen any local news say there were 10 children. And southwest valley is not rural like Edgewood, its a 10 min drive to downtown albuquerque, 15 mins to base, and 15 to los lunas. But I'm basing my info from local reports and people who knows the family. Not a national paper who wants to sensationalize every gun crime for ratings. I'll keep referring people to local news. And I do know NM and the area very well.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

He has 5 older siblings who weren't home at the time.  I've seen 10 quoted in numerous articles, not sure whether the 9th (not including the shooter) has been explained or not. Apparently there were either 4 or 5 kids still at home, and 5 older ones who weren't involved, so either there was 4 at home and 6 not at home, or 5 at home and one is still unaccounted for. Or maybe was deceased or out of the family already, from some unrelated event?

The father is apparently an ex gang member who had some sort of miraculous religious conversion, that right there is a red flag to me. Even if he wasn't a former gang member, sudden religious conversions are rarely a sign of mental stability. That he then went on to lead a church as a pastor and had 10 kids makes me wonder. It sounds like he was trying to build himself a cult.

The nearest city to them is Albuquerque, but evidently they lived quite a ways out. Anyone who's spent time around there knows how quickly you can get into no-mans-land once you're out of the suburbs. It's very easy to find seemingly isolated places not 15 minutes' drive outside the city center.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

The family had 4 kids, includes the teen.  I believe Nehemiah 15, a 9, 5 & 2 yr.  The 2 yr. was a little girl :(  I heard also that where they lived was semi-rural.  I was curious as to their names as well.  I agree too, that having all those guns in the home, LOADED &  not locked up was a killing waiting to happen.  Also, there was an assault weapon.  I don't undestand why the father would have all those guns. 

The Uncle even said, they do things different when it comes to comes to guns??  They have the oldest child defend the family, when the father is gone??  Therefore, not having them locked up & having them loaded??  Crazy.  I wonder what the gun laws are in NM.  How did the father able to get all those guns?  I will never know how ANYONE can be allowed an assult weapon.  Especially, since the father was an ex-gang member. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I had always known that name to be of Hispanic origin, since it is a popular name in NM and Mexico. Was most likely brought over by Cortes long ago, and considering the strong Catholic background of the area, not shocking that it would be Hebrew. The actual pronunciation is Nehemias.  

New Mexico is far from Fundies, nor is that area rural. I was only trying to enlighten her to facts, and how far off the profiling was. Since I am from there and still have strong ties to the area. Wasn't sure were she got 10 kids, and rural area? Now if she was talking about Colorado City, AZ- yes, she would be right on. 

The first mistake was allowing a former gang member guns, second mistake was having guns on a property that has a halfway house on it. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Nehemiah is a hebrew name.  Many fundies are into guns and naming their kids hebrew names.

Much of what she said is good profiling IMO.  Its hypothesis and opinion, not fact or assumption. At least thats how I read it.  I was thinking a lot of the same having been raised by a similar fashion, all the fear and harsh punishment I mean.

We will see if it pans out to be this or not.  Something definitely went wrong somewhere.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

What??? Really where do you get your info? There were 4 kids, Albuquerque is not a rural area, the names are Hispanic, he was a former gang member turned pastor for the police. And the guns were in the closet. Read the link I posted on the other page, from the City it happened in. I'm from there, and laughing at what you assume.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

I can't pass judgement on what should happen to him until I know the whole story. The more I read about it, the more convinced I become that something very, very weird was going on in that family.

10 kids, pastor daddy, lot of the kids had crazy names that are only really heard amongst fundamentalists, kids were homeschooled, rural area, guns everywhere... they sound less the loving family and more the lunatic fringe.

If they are indeed fundie as I suspect they are, their child-raising methods probably include a lot of heavy-handed bible-thumping, corporal punishment and fear of the parents, lots of fear in general, lots of paranoia about government/outsiders/culture wars/persecution, among other gems this culture produces. Naturally not all fundamentalists are like this, but a good majority of them are, particularly the isolationist kinds.

I find it interesting he killed the siblings (those that were there at the time). It's so uncommon for youth to murder siblings. The motivations for killing parents and the motivations for killing siblings are usually completely different. Especially with such young siblings. I've read bits and pieces on it over the years, from what I remember, youth who murder parents usually do so out of rage, revenge or personal gain. Youth who murder siblings, especially child siblings, tend to do so in a twisted kind of mercy killing, to spare them from harm or further trauma.

Of course he could just have been completely insane or an "evil" person... but I think that's an all-too-easy answer we get and buy into all too often, because it's more comfortable to think of someone as insane or evil than to consider the possibility that good, relatively normal people can be driven to such extremes absent insanity or evil, by the conditions around them.

My niece, who lives there and knows the family, although she knew mom longer, has not mentioned 10 children.  Or that she has heard there are 10 children.  Who knows.

Have you heard that the Uncle may not have been as knowing and close to the family as he is letting on...........or how the media is spinning it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I think it's pretty obvious they were.  I know I shouldn't assume, but even with 4 kids & 2 adults.  I don't believe the mom was working.  I don't know with what the father did, how he even was paid enough to provide for that large of a family.  Wasn't it mostly volunteer work. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Has it been reported that this family was on any type of public assistance and that any one other than the parents were providing for these 10 children?

We have no idea what their income was or how they obtained it.  They could be rich, have won the lottery, inherited money.  

I cannot assume that they were a poor, broken family.  I could never assume such a thing.  It does not make it true, or false.  But really, assuming such a thing based on the number of kids and what is being reported as jobs is rather crossing a line.  At least I think so.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I don't believe I said that the father & mother was on PA.  I said that I don't like it when people have kids, & they can't afford to support their kids.  Then taxpayers end up paying for them.  IF......IF this was the case of the Griego's, then this would apply to them as well.  I admit though, I should not assume, because that would be wrong.  I apologize if I did.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Calif. use to always be a wonderful place to grow-up & live.  IMO it's the most beautiful State in our Country.  But, I agree it's not the same.  Has a lot of issues.  The problem is, that everyone wanted to live here, great weather, lots to see & do.  But, I also wouldn't want to live in TX, NM or AZ.  I also, wouldn't want to live back East where it's SO cold and a lot of snow. 

I also, wouldn't want to live where it's humid.  So, that's pretty much is over half of this Country I wouldn't want to live in.  I like UT, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, OR & WA.  But, sometimes we don't have a choice where we live.  It's where we can find work. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

It is disgusting how the Uncle is acting. He is being the typical good old boy politician. The Walmart statement was the second story the kid told. :( waiting for the court transcripts.

It's truly different world, I couldn't be paid enough to live in Cali, different types of issues. Other than visiting family will not be moving back to NM, live in Ut now.

As for the father he was part of the jail ministries for calvary.

http://www.calvaryabq.org/news.asp?LatestID=4685

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Knowing NM, large families aren't uncommon, but they could be from prior relationships- I haven't heard 10 kids either.

The uncle is a former senator and instead of picking up the tab for defense, he's pushed this kid off to public defense.

A lot of people are irate about this, the defense also accused police of leaking false info on wanting to kill more.

http://www.KOB.com/article/stories/S2909399.shtml?cat=500

Halfway house.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2904258.shtml?cat=504

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I have yet seen any local news say there were 10 children. And southwest valley is not rural like Edgewood, its a 10 min drive to downtown albuquerque, 15 mins to base, and 15 to los lunas. But I'm basing my info from local reports and people who knows the family. Not a national paper who wants to sensationalize every gun crime for ratings. I'll keep referring people to local news. And I do know NM and the area very well.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

He has 5 older siblings who weren't home at the time.  I've seen 10 quoted in numerous articles, not sure whether the 9th (not including the shooter) has been explained or not. Apparently there were either 4 or 5 kids still at home, and 5 older ones who weren't involved, so either there was 4 at home and 6 not at home, or 5 at home and one is still unaccounted for. Or maybe was deceased or out of the family already, from some unrelated event?

The father is apparently an ex gang member who had some sort of miraculous religious conversion, that right there is a red flag to me. Even if he wasn't a former gang member, sudden religious conversions are rarely a sign of mental stability. That he then went on to lead a church as a pastor and had 10 kids makes me wonder. It sounds like he was trying to build himself a cult.

The nearest city to them is Albuquerque, but evidently they lived quite a ways out. Anyone who's spent time around there knows how quickly you can get into no-mans-land once you're out of the suburbs. It's very easy to find seemingly isolated places not 15 minutes' drive outside the city center.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

The family had 4 kids, includes the teen.  I believe Nehemiah 15, a 9, 5 & 2 yr.  The 2 yr. was a little girl :(  I heard also that where they lived was semi-rural.  I was curious as to their names as well.  I agree too, that having all those guns in the home, LOADED &  not locked up was a killing waiting to happen.  Also, there was an assault weapon.  I don't undestand why the father would have all those guns. 

The Uncle even said, they do things different when it comes to comes to guns??  They have the oldest child defend the family, when the father is gone??  Therefore, not having them locked up & having them loaded??  Crazy.  I wonder what the gun laws are in NM.  How did the father able to get all those guns?  I will never know how ANYONE can be allowed an assult weapon.  Especially, since the father was an ex-gang member. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I had always known that name to be of Hispanic origin, since it is a popular name in NM and Mexico. Was most likely brought over by Cortes long ago, and considering the strong Catholic background of the area, not shocking that it would be Hebrew. The actual pronunciation is Nehemias.  

New Mexico is far from Fundies, nor is that area rural. I was only trying to enlighten her to facts, and how far off the profiling was. Since I am from there and still have strong ties to the area. Wasn't sure were she got 10 kids, and rural area? Now if she was talking about Colorado City, AZ- yes, she would be right on. 

The first mistake was allowing a former gang member guns, second mistake was having guns on a property that has a halfway house on it. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Nehemiah is a hebrew name.  Many fundies are into guns and naming their kids hebrew names.

Much of what she said is good profiling IMO.  Its hypothesis and opinion, not fact or assumption. At least thats how I read it.  I was thinking a lot of the same having been raised by a similar fashion, all the fear and harsh punishment I mean.

We will see if it pans out to be this or not.  Something definitely went wrong somewhere.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

What??? Really where do you get your info? There were 4 kids, Albuquerque is not a rural area, the names are Hispanic, he was a former gang member turned pastor for the police. And the guns were in the closet. Read the link I posted on the other page, from the City it happened in. I'm from there, and laughing at what you assume.

Quoting MaySheWillStay:

I can't pass judgement on what should happen to him until I know the whole story. The more I read about it, the more convinced I become that something very, very weird was going on in that family.

10 kids, pastor daddy, lot of the kids had crazy names that are only really heard amongst fundamentalists, kids were homeschooled, rural area, guns everywhere... they sound less the loving family and more the lunatic fringe.

If they are indeed fundie as I suspect they are, their child-raising methods probably include a lot of heavy-handed bible-thumping, corporal punishment and fear of the parents, lots of fear in general, lots of paranoia about government/outsiders/culture wars/persecution, among other gems this culture produces. Naturally not all fundamentalists are like this, but a good majority of them are, particularly the isolationist kinds.

I find it interesting he killed the siblings (those that were there at the time). It's so uncommon for youth to murder siblings. The motivations for killing parents and the motivations for killing siblings are usually completely different. Especially with such young siblings. I've read bits and pieces on it over the years, from what I remember, youth who murder parents usually do so out of rage, revenge or personal gain. Youth who murder siblings, especially child siblings, tend to do so in a twisted kind of mercy killing, to spare them from harm or further trauma.

Of course he could just have been completely insane or an "evil" person... but I think that's an all-too-easy answer we get and buy into all too often, because it's more comfortable to think of someone as insane or evil than to consider the possibility that good, relatively normal people can be driven to such extremes absent insanity or evil, by the conditions around them.

My niece, who lives there and knows the family, although she knew mom longer, has not mentioned 10 children.  Or that she has heard there are 10 children.  Who knows.

Have you heard that the Uncle may not have been as knowing and close to the family as he is letting on...........or how the media is spinning it?

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You're right AtoZ.  I guess, I admit I do assume.  Probably, because so many people receive PA.  Then it's hard to believe when people have 4 or more, isn't on some type of PA.  But, I agree no one should assume.   

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

We have no idea what their income was or how they obtained it.  They could be rich, have won the lottery, inherited money.  

I cannot assume that they were a poor, broken family.  I could never assume such a thing.  It does not make it true, or false.  But really, assuming such a thing based on the number of kids and what is being reported as jobs is rather crossing a line.  At least I think so.

LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I don't know the whole story. A lot of times their is undiagnosed mental illness.

I do think that our food supply has a bit to do with things. We have so many chemicals, gmos, and dyes. We have seen that this can affect behaviour. Then when the child starts doing things that are unacceptable they are put on medicine which is usually meant for adults and not truly tested on young children. Could it change the dynamics of their brains?
Who knows.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM

For my husband & I alone, (but with pets true) we can't get away with spending less than $100/wk. on groceries.  We just went yesterday, & the pets were approx. $12/wk. for our pets.  This is a smaller buy too, usually it averages around $125/wk.  That's budgeting at the store too.  So, how people afford even more than 1-2 kids, I have no idea how they do it.  Without food stamps.  Unless, the parents both work & make really good money. 

My niece has 6 kids.  Sons, 17,14,12,10 & almost 2.  1 daughter 7.  So, once they get older like this.  I can just image what they pay in food.  Even if you really budget, it has to be at least $1000/mo.  How in the world can ANYONE except a rich person, afford that? 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

From the Calvary site:

"Greg Griego was a pastor on our staff for a number of years working with the Metropolitan Detention Center and did a terrific job in helping to rehabilitate convicts and help them and their families re-enter society. Greg also served with the IFOC chaplaincy program and was himself, a chaplain for the Albuquerque Fire Department. He impacted many lives in this community and he will be dearly missed." 

And my family is a single income, family of 6. We aren't on PA, I am not 100% about his family, but they could afford the 15 yr old having his own cell phone, something we couldn't do. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM

True, I believe it's in our foods & water as well.  But, killing one's own family?  Their own siblings like that?  Idk.  Maybe, we will hear whether this teen had any mental illness or was taking any meds.  But, his Uncle said at Christmas when they were all together.  Nehemiah, was happy & really enjoying the Holidays.  That's hasn't been but a month ago.   

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I don't know the whole story. A lot of times their is undiagnosed mental illness.

I do think that our food supply has a bit to do with things. We have so many chemicals, gmos, and dyes. We have seen that this can affect behaviour. Then when the child starts doing things that are unacceptable they are put on medicine which is usually meant for adults and not truly tested on young children. Could it change the dynamics of their brains?
Who knows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured