Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Murders of Teen's family by, Nehemiah Griego the son, in NM. What do you think our Courts should do with him?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is another one of those cases, that really has me asking myself, a lot of questions.  I was wondering what others thought about this case.  Was it Mental Illness?  What do we do with all these young kids that kill, mostly kill their families?  Should they be tried as an adult?  Here's some of the things that I just don't understand.

1.  The Uncle says the parents wouldn't allow him to play any violent video games.  Yet, I don't think that is the case or that parents are very careful these days with what movies they watch, video games they play.  As matter of fact, if I happen to be seeing a rated R movie, I see A LOT of young kids in there.  Sad.  Do you feel kids watching or playing violent movies or video games, can contribute to kids & violence?

2.  The teen planned on going to Wal-Mart to open fire on shoppers & have a shoot-out with the police.  What possesses anyone, yet alone a child to do this?  He's dad is a Pastor, the teen was home-schooled & very active in Church.  What happen to this teen?  I just don't understand this.  How can he kill his parents, & especially kill his siblings like that?

3.  The Uncle says that they believe differently about guns then a lot of Americans.  Since, the father was gone a lot, he taught his 15 yr how to shot a gun.  There were a lot of weapons, loaded inside the house & NOT locked up.  Why?  WHY would anyone do that?  The dad even had a AR-15 Assault Rifle.  umm  People that knew this teen said he was quite & courteous. 

4.  I'm not sure if this boy should be tried as an adult.  Be put into the system with other 'adult' criminals.  But, with what this teen did, how can he ever be safe in society again?  I don't feel he should be in the prison system.  He should be locked away & be given a chance to have all the resources available.  But, I don't believe he should be out anytime soon.  What do you think? 

Why do you think we are having SO many of our young people doing such horrible crimes?  What do you think we as a society can do to help with this problem?  I know No. 1 PARENTS need to start being better parents. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (81-89):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
He should be tried as an adult but no death penalty. He should remain in a psychiatric facility until the age if 21 and then sent to prison for the rest if his life.

No, I do not believe violent movies and games contribute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Cycles can happen in a snap.

There was that one case where the teen was on prozac I think and he killed his family. His defense was based on the medication being found to cause suicidal or homicidal tendencies in children and was black labeled. Although they agreed it was most likely caused by the medication the kid was still found guilty.

The mentally I'll can't help themselves bc.they usually don't know they are ill and the laws do not allow anyone else to help them bc that would infringe on their rights. It's a vicious cycle.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

True, I believe it's in our foods & water as well.  But, killing one's own family?  Their own siblings like that?  Idk.  Maybe, we will hear whether this teen had any mental illness or was taking any meds.  But, his Uncle said at Christmas when they were all together.  Nehemiah, was happy & really enjoying the Holidays.  That's hasn't been but a month ago.   

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I don't know the whole story. A lot of times their is undiagnosed mental illness.

I do think that our food supply has a bit to do with things. We have so many chemicals, gmos, and dyes. We have seen that this can affect behaviour. Then when the child starts doing things that are unacceptable they are put on medicine which is usually meant for adults and not truly tested on young children. Could it change the dynamics of their brains?
Who knows.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great what all the father did, thank-you for that info.  I'm not saying this is what the father did or not.  But, I have been around quite a few families, where they were very religious & really into the church.  The dad's were spending more time with the church & helping other people, then his own family.  I thought it was always so sad.  It was the job of the mother, to care for the family.  Which I feel is wrong. 

My niece is going through this right now.  Granted she married into this, but she was young.  Now, she is coming to the reality of it all.  She has been going through a 'deep' depression.  I'm NOT saying that this was this family either.  But, I can sort of understand how kids can snap.  When they have anger issues deep down, but don't show it.  Sons really need their fathers.  Then when they aren't around, I believe boys can snap.  Teens depend & rely on their fathers.  I'd bet that a lot of teens are committing crimes, due to the lack of a dad at home.  OR a lack of parenting. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

From the Calvary site:

"Greg Griego was a pastor on our staff for a number of years working with the Metropolitan Detention Center and did a terrific job in helping to rehabilitate convicts and help them and their families re-enter society. Greg also served with the IFOC chaplaincy program and was himself, a chaplain for the Albuquerque Fire Department. He impacted many lives in this community and he will be dearly missed." 

And my family is a single income, family of 6. We aren't on PA, I am not 100% about his family, but they could afford the 15 yr old having his own cell phone, something we couldn't do. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I think it's pretty obvious they were.  I know I shouldn't assume, but even with 4 kids & 2 adults.  I don't believe the mom was working.  I don't know with what the father did, how he even was paid enough to provide for that large of a family.  Wasn't it mostly volunteer work. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's horrible of the Uncle to go on Dr. Drew do all that bitching about false info., yet he doesn't help the teen out with his defense.  I thought it was true that the teen, loaded up some guns & drove off.  Wanting to shoot at Wal-mart shoppers & then have a shotout with police.  Instead he went to church. 

I certainly wouldn't want to live in NM, to be honest.  It's bad enough in Calif.  What burns me up, is when people have so many kids, & yet the taxpayers have to end up paying for them.

I wonder....just wondering....I read where his dad lost his job??  From everything I read about the father, even though I know he was doing a lot of good too!  But, it doesn't seem like he had enough time to care for the kids he had.  To spend time with his 4 kids.  (4 that was living at home).  How could he when he was a Pastor, ran a halfway house & did so much volunteer work.  Perhaps, the teen saw the living condition he & the other siblings were living under.  Idk.  Boys at the age need their fathers so much!  Perhaps, he had a lot of resentments as well. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Has it been reported that this family was on any type of public assistance and that any one other than the parents were providing for these 10 children?

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM

We are really hoping to find work here after he retires from the AirForce, I really like the resources we have for our kids. It's a very family oriented place, quirky at times but been a good experience. There is no way we are moving back to NY, even though his parents want to give us his childhood home. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Calif. use to always be a wonderful place to grow-up & live.  IMO it's the most beautiful State in our Country.  But, I agree it's not the same.  Has a lot of issues.  The problem is, that everyone wanted to live here, great weather, lots to see & do.  But, I also wouldn't want to live in TX, NM or AZ.  I also, wouldn't want to live back East where it's SO cold and a lot of snow. 

I also, wouldn't want to live where it's humid.  So, that's pretty much is over half of this Country I wouldn't want to live in.  I like UT, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, OR & WA.  But, sometimes we don't have a choice where we live.  It's where we can find work. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

It is disgusting how the Uncle is acting. He is being the typical good old boy politician. The Walmart statement was the second story the kid told. :( waiting for the court transcripts.

It's truly different world, I couldn't be paid enough to live in Cali, different types of issues. Other than visiting family will not be moving back to NM, live in Ut now.

As for the father he was part of the jail ministries for calvary.

http://www.calvaryabq.org/news.asp?LatestID=4685

Quoting Naturewoman4:

afwifeandmommy3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM
This

Quoting rfurlongg:

Children, imo, should NEVER be tried as adults. In no other aspect of our society do we treat children as adults. Our judicial system should be no different. HOwever, I acknowledge our current juvie system is dangerously lacking in many, many, areas and in desperate need of reform. 

I do not know what prompted his violent and deathly rampage. We may never know but I suspect there is a back story. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Children & young Adults under the age of 21 is not suppose to even be on a antidepressants.  I read a book on Prozac.  There was several documentation from a Dr., on what happen to a few of his patients or other patients while being on Prozac.  I'm surprised though that a Court would convict a person, that has clear documentation like this.  Maybe, convict on a lesser charge. 

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

There was that one case where the teen was on prozac I think and he killed his family. His defense was based on the medication being found to cause suicidal or homicidal tendencies in children and was black labeled. Although they agreed it was most likely caused by the medication the kid was still found guilty.

The mentally I'll can't help themselves bc.they usually don't know they are ill and the laws do not allow anyone else to help them bc that would infringe on their rights. It's a vicious cycle.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

True, I believe it's in our foods & water as well.  But, killing one's own family?  Their own siblings like that?  Idk.  Maybe, we will hear whether this teen had any mental illness or was taking any meds.  But, his Uncle said at Christmas when they were all together.  Nehemiah, was happy & really enjoying the Holidays.  That's hasn't been but a month ago.   

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I don't know the whole story. A lot of times their is undiagnosed mental illness.

I do think that our food supply has a bit to do with things. We have so many chemicals, gmos, and dyes. We have seen that this can affect behaviour. Then when the child starts doing things that are unacceptable they are put on medicine which is usually meant for adults and not truly tested on young children. Could it change the dynamics of their brains?
Who knows.

LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4540829/Prozac-teenager-killer-father-with-hammer.html

http://m.newser.com/story/139111/prozac-made-teen-kill-9-year-old-doctor.html

Two different cases. I think the age is 24 and yet they still prescribe.it.to children.

I have no.idea if this relates to the nm case but it is a serious problem in society and may play a bigger role than we even realize.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Children & young Adults under the age of 21 is not suppose to even be on a antidepressants.  I read a book on Prozac.  There was several documentation from a Dr., on what happen to a few of his patients or other patients while being on Prozac.  I'm surprised though that a Court would convict a person, that has clear documentation like this.  Maybe, convict on a lesser charge. 

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Who knows.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My friend that lives in NM outside of Alburq. seems to really love where she lives too.  So, I guess sometimes "Home is where the Heart is"....Kinda like how I feel here in Calif., because my kids are here.  My son is currently in WA, on a 3 yr. work job, but he really wants to return back to N. Calif.   

Quoting DawnPratt23:

We are really hoping to find work here after he retires from the AirForce, I really like the resources we have for our kids. It's a very family oriented place, quirky at times but been a good experience. There is no way we are moving back to NY, even though his parents want to give us his childhood home. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Calif. use to always be a wonderful place to grow-up & live.  IMO it's the most beautiful State in our Country.  But, I agree it's not the same.  Has a lot of issues.  The problem is, that everyone wanted to live here, great weather, lots to see & do.  But, I also wouldn't want to live in TX, NM or AZ.  I also, wouldn't want to live back East where it's SO cold and a lot of snow. 

I also, wouldn't want to live where it's humid.  So, that's pretty much is over half of this Country I wouldn't want to live in.  I like UT, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, OR & WA.  But, sometimes we don't have a choice where we live.  It's where we can find work. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

It is disgusting how the Uncle is acting. He is being the typical good old boy politician. The Walmart statement was the second story the kid told. :( waiting for the court transcripts.

It's truly different world, I couldn't be paid enough to live in Cali, different types of issues. Other than visiting family will not be moving back to NM, live in Ut now.

As for the father he was part of the jail ministries for calvary.

http://www.calvaryabq.org/news.asp?LatestID=4685

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I agree.

Quoting Paperfishies:

He should be tried as an adult but no death penalty. He should remain in a psychiatric facility until the age if 21 and then sent to prison for the rest if his life.

No, I do not believe violent movies and games contribute.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured