Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Are you? (feel free to pick the younger or older option if you're celebrating a decade this year!)

Options:

Under 20

20-30

30-40

40-50

50-60

60-70

70-80

even older than that

not telling

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 192

View Results

My birthday's coming up, so I wanted to reassure myself that I wasn't the oldest person here... Who wins?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Replies (161-170):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM

That's a great reason to live!

I recommend the book 'Younger Next Year' ... wonderful inspiration and real hard science about what really works.

Quoting Bookwormy:

My mom died at 47yo & my dad at 73yo. My grandparent all died in their 60s & 70s think.

I'm not of great stock! I'm trying to lose weight & live healthier than my peeps for obvious reasons, with a 6yo daughter.

Quoting LindaClement:

When people died at 68, 35 was middle aged... if your family has a lot of ninety year olds, it's likely you won't be middle aged until you're 62.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Welcome to the club!  My partner is 46 & I'm 42.  Our DD just turned 6 & the parents of all of her friends are 1/2 our age is seems like!  Seriously, most are in their late 20s or in their 30s, but we are oooolllldddd.  ut I heard on NPR a few years ago that women are considered middle aged at 35!  & I thought that everyone was middle aged at 40!  & now, either way, I am middle aged, LOL!

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yes.  But in my head I am in my mid 30s.  I'm always shocked when I realize I am basically middle aged.  When did that happen?  Jeez my youngest just turned 5.  I should be younger!  I am the oldest mama at the preschool.  I am the age of some grandmas that pick up the kids.

Quoting LindaClement:

You do realize what the alternative is, right?

Quoting stacymomof2:

Ugh I will be 44 in a couple of months.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I had my first child (a boy named Riley!) when I was almost 22, so I was your age when he started kindergarten. I felt out of place with the other moms at first, but eventually met some of my best friends. They were all at least 10 years older than I was, but after a while it didn't matter because we had so much in common.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

R is in Kindergarten and I always feel young and out of place... All the moms are in their late 30's early 40's and I just turned 27... :-/

Quoting stacymomof2:

lol, there will probably be more of us around.  Seems there are a lot of 40 year old new mothers lately.  Even in my daughter's 1st grade class all the moms are maybe early 30s.  That is at least 10 years younger than me.  

Quoting GLWerth:

I'll be 60, 61 if I send him to pre-K.

Oh, that is depressing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I just realized that my mom wasn't even 40 when I graduated from hs.  She was 36.  (Although I would never have wanted to be quite as young a mom as she was.)  I will be 58 when my youngest graduates.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I've always found that: people have more in common with people at similar places in their lives than they do with people born the same year.

Quoting Erinelizz:

I had my first child (a boy named Riley!) when I was almost 22, so I was your age when he started kindergarten. I felt out of place with the other moms at first, but eventually met some of my best friends. They were all at least 10 years older than I was, but after a while it didn't matter because we had so much in common.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

R is in Kindergarten and I always feel young and out of place... All the moms are in their late 30's early 40's and I just turned 27... :-/

Quoting stacymomof2:

lol, there will probably be more of us around.  Seems there are a lot of 40 year old new mothers lately.  Even in my daughter's 1st grade class all the moms are maybe early 30s.  That is at least 10 years younger than me.  

Quoting GLWerth:

Oh, that is depressing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I just realized that my mom wasn't even 40 when I graduated from hs.  She was 36.  (Although I would never have wanted to be quite as young a mom as she was.)  I will be 58 when my youngest graduates.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I am 63 years old.  Had a heart attack last March.  My dad died of a massive coranary at 66, my mom lived to 87 and passed in her sleep, her heart just stopped.  I am now smoke free almost one year. (since my heart attack),  I am not overweight according to the doctors, and my biggest downfall is chocolate peanutbutter cups..lol. I eat fairly healthy foods, so I am hoping that with positive attitude, exercise, and contuning a healthy eating regime, I can avoid a premature death.

Quoting LindaClement:

I recommend the book 'Younger Next Year' ... wonderful inspiration and real hard science about what really works.

Quoting Bookwormy:

My mom died at 47yo & my dad at 73yo. My grandparent all died in their 60s & 70s think.

I'm not of great stock! I'm trying to lose weight & live healthier than my peeps for obvious reasons, with a 6yo daughter.

Quoting LindaClement:

When people died at 68, 35 was middle aged... if your family has a lot of ninety year olds, it's likely you won't be middle aged until you're 62.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Welcome to the club!  My partner is 46 & I'm 42.  Our DD just turned 6 & the parents of all of her friends are 1/2 our age is seems like!  Seriously, most are in their late 20s or in their 30s, but we are oooolllldddd.  ut I heard on NPR a few years ago that women are considered middle aged at 35!  & I thought that everyone was middle aged at 40!  & now, either way, I am middle aged, LOL!

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yes.  But in my head I am in my mid 30s.  I'm always shocked when I realize I am basically middle aged.  When did that happen?  Jeez my youngest just turned 5.  I should be younger!  I am the oldest mama at the preschool.  I am the age of some grandmas that pick up the kids.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting stacymomof2:

butterfly on headlynda  

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My son will graduate hs when I am 39, and my youngest daughter will graduate when I am 45. It was sometimes hard having kids so young, but it will be nice to be a "young" empty-nester.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting GLWerth:

Oh, that is depressing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I was a relatively young mom.  I got married at 20 and had my son when I was just shy of being 23.  When he was in kindergarten, I was 28.  I was the youngest mother there.  When I had Stephanie, I was 26 and a half, and when she was in kindergarten, I was 32, and was still one of the younger moms, seemed everyone was pushing 40 or 40.  So when I had Vicki, at 33, I thought for sure I would be the oldest mom, but no, I was just average.  My son graduated HS before I turned 40 and Vicki will graduate when I am 51.  I figure I'll be able to concentrate on "me" for a bit because all the hard stuff will be behind me.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, exactly. I was the same age as many of my co-workers when I was teaching, but they didn't have kids of their own and were still out partying and dating. I couldn't relate to them at all.

Quoting LindaClement:

I've always found that: people have more in common with people at similar places in their lives than they do with people born the same year.

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting GLWerth:

Oh, that is depressing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

edieda
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I am 60. I eat fairly healthy and exercise most days on an exercise machine and I do a lot of walking. I don't smoke- never have, and really am not a social drinker at all, it is very rare that I will drink an alcoholic beverage.

melissam21
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Both. I've felt older since I was 16.

Quoting LindaClement:

More mature, or just more worn out?

Quoting melissam21:

Ill be 26 in December but I feel older.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I'll look that up.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting stacymomof2:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this

he said of course! LOL (suck up)

Quoting LindaClement:

I hope that means you're the Trophy Wife! :D

Quoting glitterteaz:

Hubby turned fifty today! My birthday is super bowl Sunday FML. But he is nearly a decade older than I am dirty old bird. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN